Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LIABILITY

HOOK2APLUG
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question LIABILITY

I'M SURE YOU ALL IN THE FIRE SERVICE HAS HEARD OF LIABILITY. WE ALL ARE LIABLE TO SOMEONE. MY QUESTION IS WHO IS THE FIRE CHIEF LIABLE TO. IF IT IS THE CITY FATHERS, WHO ARE THEY LIABLE TO. THE REASON FOR THIS TYPE OF QUESTION IS THAT MY DEPT.IS STILL STUCK IN THE 70'S. WE HAVE SCBA REGULATORS THAT THE LOW LEVEL ALARM DOES NOT WORK. THE CHIEF PUTS W-D 40 ON IT AND PUTS IT BACK ON THE TRUCK. WHERE DOES THE LIABILITY FALL.

Lieutenant Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

I would check with either NIOSH or OSHA as to what measures you can take to protect yourself from your Chief's tampering with your SCBA units. Is he certified to maintain and repair the type of SCBA your department uses? Documentation is a key issue here.

Other resources you can try for information is the your state fire academy and neighboring departments. IS your Department career or volunteer. If you belong to the IAFF, they can assist you in this problem.

Good luck!

------------------
    Take care and be safe...Lt. Gonzo

Ed Shanks
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

Dude, call OSHA. NOW!!

To answer your question, the fire chief answers to the city fathers, who, being elected officials, answer to the public. If you live where you work, that includes you.

------------------
    E-4-A
    IAFF 1176
    RKMC MAL

Thread Information