Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Lieutenant Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Boston Fire Department report

Has anyone read the report by the Boston Fire Department Review Commission? It can be accessed from the Firehouse.com home page.

------------------
    Take care and be safe...Lt. Gonzo

mfgentili
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

Hi LT,
    Yes I read the report and I think it could easily apply to most of our departments. As is often said, all you have to do is change the names on the truck doors. I think this report should be required reading for all firefighters and especially department leaders everywhere to serve as a wake up call. We, as firefighters, must have pride in ourselves and the job we do. It's never to late to make changes if they need to be made. It is also very easy to find fault and critisize. We have been easy targets for years, mainly from those outside the fire service. This may explain the strong bond we have as firefighters, which was never so evident as in Worcester. I wonder how many of the problems in Boston could have been addressed by proper funding and support by the city administration. Many city and town governments want us to enter the 21st. century but don't offer the financial support to get us there. I still have the utmost respect for the members of the Boston Fire Dept. and will continue to look to them and their department for ideas, techniques, and methods of doing things. Hang in there Boston. You have every right to be proud.

------------------
    Mike Gentili

Lieutenant Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I totally agree with you, Mike. I also have the utmost respect for the Boston Fire Department, and like you look to them for ideas. The big question is, will the City of Boston come up with the $$$ to make these recommended changes? It will be interesting...

------------------
    Take care and be safe...Lt. Gonzo

D. Anderson
    Firehouse.com Guest

I couldn't agree more with most of what you guys said. The suggestions made by the committee are one thing but such large changes in a huge department like Boston are another story when you're talking about that kind of money. It seems like the police in my city get more money than they know what to do with, you should see all their new cars lined up and waiting to be painted. All that federal money must be nice. Meanwhile our budget is cut every year and the calls go up too. Like Boston we still get the job done on a daily basis with less. I'm glad the committee pointed out the fact that they do an outstanding job at fires and emergency scenes.

The part about being mired in tradition when many want to move forward is something I would like to comment on. I completely agree that we need to move forward in areas such as tactics and equipment, and in big departments it can be hard to get some of the senior guys to want to learn new things. Some traditions such as smoking and especially drinking in the stations simply have no place anymore. What really kills me is some of the traditions some of the new people bitch and complain about such as cleaning the bathrooms, cleaning the stations, painting the tools, taking the noon watch, sanding the poles, shutting the traps, and some of the other little jobs that you guys know need to be done. It seems that as we hire younger people, and especially more that have never served in the military or had a real job before, they hide behind the "This is an outdated tradition", or even "This is harrassment/hazing". I did it when I was a rookie, and rookies have been doing it for hundreds of years in my department! Our administration actually came out with a communication that said we had to be more understanding of the "Generation X" people we are hiring now. I'm only 29 and been on for only four years myself but find these excuses to be very poor.

Any comments, suggestions, or stories would be appreciated.

Boothby
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Hey Lieutenant I just finished reading the report. It is amazing how many parallels there are between Boston and my own department. There are also points of vast difference. The one thing that struck me and raised the biggest question in my mind is why did the union advise it's members not to respond to the survey the commission sent out. Is the union affraid of what its members think? I would think that the feelings of the union membership and passing it on to the commission would be the top priority to the union. I really don't understand the rational behing that act.

------------------
    Larry Boothby
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    Truck 3 A-shift
    Local 1784
    Memphis.

Thread Information