rescujake
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question What's your policy?

What is your departments policy on sending individuls for training such as FDIC? Does your dept. pay for tuition only, materials, housing, etc. and how do they cover your position if you are going to be on-duty during the class? Do they call in overtime? If more than a few individuals puts in for a class, and they can send only 2 or 3 how do they select who goes? I would greatly appreciate any feedback regarding these questions! Thanks!

Ed Shanks
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

The Boardman FD pays tuition, room & board, mileage and meals while on the road. We'll call in OT, too, if necessary.

To decide who goes with limited openings and large interest, the turns have the option to decide amongst themselves first, but if they can't reach an agreement the chief will pick. I really don't know what criteria he uses - it hasn't happened very often.

------------------
    E-4-A
    IAFF 1176
    RKMC MAL

ENG86INE
    Firehouse.com Guest

Rescujake,
    Here in my company the Erial Fire Co. the board of fire commissioner's pay for the volunteer's and career personell. If a career member has a training class at the fire academy, then the board if neccesary will call a volunteer in to fill in and work their shift which is 8a to 4p. As for as policies go on who is eligible to go, that turns to certain qualifications in the company. Such as being a qualified driver on all apparatus and showing up to all drills and percentages. Especially on any advanced schools offered by the fire academy.

NUMBY
    Firehouse.com Guest

Where i work the department pays for the cost of the class, lodging in hotel and also gives us 30 bucks a day for meals and whatever else we want to spend it on...its up to us. If there is several people going and they dont want to take their own car, the department will pay for a rental car. I think we have it pretty nice here with training, the chief will pretty much let us go anywhere we want. If there is a problem with someone being scheduled to work they just either trades shifts with someone else or pay overtime if necessary.

[This message has been edited by NUMBY (edited February 02, 2000).]

9m18
    Firehouse.com Guest

My town will cover my shifts for long-term training such as the NFA. I'm paid my normal 48-hour salary (no OT)and either a full-timer on OT or a call member who works shifts will replace me on the shifts I miss.

firefighter_IAFF
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our department does not pay for any training outside the department anymore. If we are able to go to training outside the department all costs are on us and we have to use our own leave. We have a little on duty training maybe every three months or longer. I got paid for a drivers training class a couple months ago but the class was a joke anyway. That was the only off duty training I have had in four years. I think most of us have forgotten the meaning of the word training. I consider anyone who gets training lucky.

Lieutenant Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I have attended public fire education seminars and have attended fire academy courses on Department time. In these cases, for example, if the course was a week long, I would go to school from 9 to 5 for the week and would not have to work my night shifts. If the class or seminar fell on my night tours, I would go to the seminar during the day and would be excused from duty for the nights.

Don't forget ...if you go to any training session (Fire/Rescue/EMS/Law Enforcement) on your own time and pay your own way, you can claim the expenses on your income tax return. Deductible items include travel expenses (mileage to and from if driving, airfare, trainfare, etc), books, lodging, and meals. If you are on Department time but still have to pay expenses, these too are deductible.

------------------
    Take care and be safe...Lt. Gonzo

FFRAGS
    Firehouse.com Guest

LIKE MOST OTHER DEPTS, WE NEED TO INCREASE THE TRAINING OUR MEMBERS RECEIVE. WE JUST AGREED ON A CONTRACT THAT HAS CERTAIN LEVELS OF TRAINING REQUIRED FOR DIFFERENT LEVELS. IF ANY TRAINING IS REQUIRED BY YOUR DEPT AND YOU ARE SCHEDULED OFF, THEY MUST PAY YOU FOR THE TIME. O/T KICKS IN AFTER 53 HOURS A WEEK. (FLSA) DO ANY STATES OUT THERE REQUIRE TRAINING ANNUALLY, EXAMPLE HAZ-MAT, CPR, FIRST AID ETC? STAY SAFE AND KEEP THE INFO FLOWING

NUMBY
    Firehouse.com Guest

With my first reply i forgot to add a few things, here in KY we are required to have 100 hours of training a year to keep our career certification. The state here does something kind nice, once you reach the required amount of training hours (400) to be career certified, you get a $3000. annual incentive from the state. It is paid monthly, we get an extra $250 on the first check of every month. To remain in this incentive program you need the 100 hours a year. It really is a nice program.

IA Lt/P
    Firehouse.com Guest

I work for a paid department and we are not paid to attend training. Usually the department will pay for course registration, lodging and meals and provide a department car. If the training is on a work day we get paid the 24 hours, if it is not on a work day we traing for free. I look at it as a benefit and a mini-vacation. If they paid OT I would not be able to go to much of the training I now attend.

Hammerhead338
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

We are going throught this very subject right now. ( winter fire school ) The dept can only send 6 or less to a school, it does pay for the class and the rooms, and will give you money for each meal of the day. I dont realy know how it is decided, I put in for the school but I didnt get to go but 3 off my shift did go. If we dont have enough people for the shifts they will bring people in, as a mater of fact I volunteered to come in this weekend if the shifts are light.

Have a good day and be safe.

Joe
    Local 3905

Hammerhead338
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

We are going throught this very subject right now. ( winter fire school ) The dept can only send 6 or less to a school, it does pay for the class and the rooms, and will give you money for each meal of the day. I dont realy know how it is decided, I put in for the school but I didnt get to go but 3 off my shift did go. If we dont have enough people for the shifts they will bring people in, as a mater of fact I said that I would come in this weekend if the shifts are light.

Have a good day and be safe.

Joe
    Local 3905

Boothby
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Right now the department will pay for classes at the NFA and will cover your shift while you are gone. The city will pay for any college education you get that is applicable to a city job. For example we have a guy at our station who is getting his masters in public administration and the city is paying the bill. We have also had people get their nursing degree paid by the city because we run ems. Right now the only thing the city or department doesn't pay for is going to conventions. At least as far as I know. They also don't pay for the cost of some contiuing education classes for ems. Classes like ACLS, PALS,BTLS etc. We are working on that with the union and it looks hopefull.

------------------
    Larry Boothby
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    Truck 3 A-shift
    Local 1784
    Memphis.

Thread Information