Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    9m18
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Water supply for firefighting

Seeking information on (mostly rural) water supply for firefighting. My town is in the very early stages of developing a program to meet the water supply requirements of NFPA 1231/1142 and ISO. In the interest of not reinventing the wheel, I'm interested in what folks in other Departments have done with fireponds, cisterns, draft sites, etc. Please post or e-mail any responses. Thanks.

------------------

Sneezy_248
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I DON'T KNOW IF IT'S STILL AVAILABLE OR NOT BUT THERE IS A GREAT SERIES OF BOOKS WRIITEN BY LARRY DAVIS AND PUBLISHED BY THE INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY OF FIRE SERVICE INSTRUCTORS CALLED RURAL FIREFIGHTING OPERATIONS, IN PARTICULAR BOOK TWO / THE FIRST ENCYCLOPEDIA OF WATER SUPPLIES AND WATER DELIVEY TECHNIQUES. THIS IS WHERE I FOUND OUT ABOUT 1231, AND APPLIED IT TO MY OLD DEPT. WE USED THE TESTING METHODS IN THE BOOK TO CONVINCE OUR DISTRICT TO PURCHACE LDH, SO I KNOW IT WORKS. SHOULD GIVE YOU PLENTY OF INFORMATION TO GET STARTED WITH. E-MAIL ME AND LET ME KNOW IF IT WORKS FOR YOU
    GOOD LUCK AND GODSPEED

[This message has been edited by Sneezy_248 (edited February 24, 2000).]

Hammerhead338
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Hey 9m18, At my old volly dept we went to the USGS and got pictures taken from the air. We found where all the ponds and creeks and then drove out to them and looked to see if you could use them. At a couple of them we put in dry hydrents. Some of the people where not happy with the idea of the hydrents but when they found out that there insurance will go down, they liked it then.

Have a good day and be safe.

Joe
    Local 3905

Thread Information