Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    D. Anderson
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Help me with 3 platoon info for new contract

We are in contract negotiations and one of the things the city wants is to switch us from our 2 platoon shift(24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 3 days off) to a 3 platoon shift. They said they don't even care which one we pick. Does anyone know where I can find a list of the different schedules or could you give me your shift (days on, and days off etc.) so I have an idea of how many are out there and the advantages and disadvantages of each?

Thanks in advance!

Boothby
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Down here we go 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 24 off, 24 on then 4 days off. I have also worked 24 on 48 off rotation, but I like the first one better. When you hit your 4 days off its like a mini- vacation. The only drawback is it takes forever to roll around to having both Sat and Sun off. Hope this helps.

------------------
    Larry Boothby
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    Truck 3 A-shift
    Local 1784
    Memphis.

rescujake
    Firehouse.com Guest

We work kind of a strange schedule but most guys seem to like it and they looked at many different schedules before choosing this one. We have three shifts (A,B,C) and we work an average of 9 days per month. It goes something like this: ON: MON. WED. FRI OFF: SAT. SUN. MON. TUE. ON: WED. FRI. SUN.
    so we work 3 days with a day off in between each one and then we are off for four days. This makes taking a vacation day nice because you could have a minimum of 6 days off while taking only 1 vacation day. If you have any questions write me.
    Rescujake@aol.com

pompanofd
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

We go 24/48's with a KELLY DAY every 7th shift or every 21 days. Example. My KELLY DAY is WED. Start on SAT. , then TUE. then
    FRI. then MON, then THURS. then SUN Then off untill SAT. 5 days off straight! Great for 2nd jobs. Also if I Bang out a SICK day or Take a Vacation day with my Kelly day then I am off for 8 days. I find if you work for a busy department you need 2 days off between shifts. Be safe......

D. Anderson
    Firehouse.com Guest

I forgot to ask if you're allowed to trade days and if you are how hard it is to do with these schedules.

Thanks again!

Quint1Medic
    Firehouse.com Guest

We work that same four-day-break schedule, but you might want to talk to Hampton, VA and Henrico Co, VA...they both work a "goofy-when-you-first-hear-it" schedule where they have five-day breaks. I haven't quite figured it out yet, but they seem to like it. One of the other local counties works the 24/48 schedule - seems to me that would be awful, in comparison.

Ledbelly
    Firehouse.com Guest

We work the same schedule as Boothby and Recujake; I once heard someone call it the California schedule(?). [3 out of 5, then 4 off]

The only limit we have to trading shifts is if you trade out all 3 of your shifts; I think you're(we are) limited to 2 multiple trades (all three shifts)... in other words, you couldn't trade out for a whole month... 6 days max. It works great for us; the trade outs are between you and the other person, like rank and skills (medic with medic, driver with driver for example)... all that is necessary is to inform your Capt that you've made the trade. Of course, there's sometimes a little personality difference involved and it never hurts to make sure your trade out meets the approval of your co-workers!

Hammerhead338
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

We work the 24on and 48 off. I like it, it gives me time to work a second job if I want, it would be nice to have more time off. As for trading with someone, I havent had to much problems, Iam the low man at my station so I can only trade with other fire fighter, in 3 years I havent had one problem with finding someone to trade with.

Have a good day and be safe.

Joe
    Local 3905

Rescue 73
    Firehouse.com Guest

Most of the departments around you work the 3 days on and 4 days off. It's a great way to work. Gives you time to recoup on your 4 day. You may also want to look at St. Paul's. Their's is different.

Trades for the most part are not a problem. The only thing I run into is that we can't work more than 36 hours. So if it's an in between day you have to find one person to work the day and another to work the night.

D. Anderson
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

just an update, the schedule that seems to be gaining momentum right now is called a 7/21 and works like this (x's are ons and o's are offs):xooxoxoooxoxoxoxooooo. If we started this in 2001 each shift would get the five off stretch from wednesday to sunday every three weeks. It seems weird until you write it on the calender.

Capt Lee
    Firehouse.com Guest

We do the work 3 then 4 day off schedule. It works great for vactions and trades. Also for when overtime comes around during your 4 days you don't do a 48. At first the 4 days off seemed to last forever. Now they saying is "Is it 4 days yet?"

FFRAGS
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

WE WORK A SCHEDULE THATS IS A 24 HOUR SHIFT AND IT ROTATES EVERY 21 DAYS LIKE THE ONE MENTIONED ABOVE. THIS AVERAGES OUT TO A 54 HOUR WORK WEEK. THE FLSA ONLY ALLOWS YOU TO WORK 53 HOURS BEFORE YOU MUST RECEIVE OVERTIME FOR ALL HOURS WORKED OVER THE 53. WE DO NOT MIND WORKING THIS SCHEDULE. WE CAN STILL BUDDY FOR ANOTHER F/F OF THE SAME RANK. IF YOU CONTACT ME WITH A FAX NUMBER I WILL SEND YOU A COPY OF OUR SCHEDULE. MOST LARGER DEPARTMENTS ONLY WORK A 42 HOUR WORK WEEK. WE CHOOSE TO GO TO THIS SCHEDULE IN 1986 DUE TO THE FLSA AND WE WANTED TO KEEP THE MANNING AT EIGHT ON DUTY AS A MINIMUM. WE WENT FROM TWO PLATOONS TO THREE. WE GET FIVE DAYS OFF EVERY THIRD WEEKEND. T-F-S-S-M. ANY QUESTIONS, DROP ME A MESSAGE OR GO TO PPFFA.ORG AND CONTACT ME. STAY SAFE
    JIM REAGAN
    IAFF LOCAL 839
    WILKINSBURG PA

rescuebill
    Firehouse.com Guest

As a father that needs to get home in the morning I like the 24-48's. I only need day care 7 days a month (if I don't have a day off) The other ways would be hard on the day care scheduel. I also like to trade or vac. or kelly day off and have 5.

FitzBFDT2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

You guys work too much. Try working a 24/72 shift(42 Hours a week, 4 group system). Always have at least 2 weekend days off. Quality time with the family and recuperation time are also a benefit.
    Take care and be safe,

------------------
    Kevin M. Fitzhenry, bfdt2@injersey.com
    Firefighter, Truck Co. 2
    City of Bayonne (NJ) FD
    www.bayonne.net/bfd/

Cartersville Fire Dept
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

We work 24/48 all the time at my full time department in nicholasville kentucky. It works really good for us.
    Shannon Causey

Wills
    Firehouse.com Guest

OK THIS IS THE BEST OF THEM ALL. We work a 48 hr on and a 4 day off. The way it works is for (ex: say you work monday tuesday, then you are off for 4 days which puts you back to work on sunday monday then off 4 day then on saturday sunday) It is great . Our schedule just falls back a day each week The other schedule out here in San Diego is called a Kelly shift. You work 24 on 24 off 24 on 24 off 24 on 24 off 24 on 24 off. then you are off for 4 days. Then you work another 24 on 24 off 24 on 24 off 24 on 24 off 24 on 24 off then you are off 6 days. Either schedule is a 56 hour week and you work 10 days a month. But the thing with the 24 on is you are always going or coming from work and that gets old. I only goto work once a week. Trust me it is the best schedule for a 3 platoon schedule. Some other departments in San Diego are changing over to this schedule.

You can't ask for a better schedule.

------------------
    Take Care,
    Wills

AntiqueFireLt
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

Somebody tell me how you can work a two platoon system? Day on Day off!! if you work: x0x000 who works while you have three days off? Please don't say you work 72 hrs every sixth shift!
    As for 48/72, damn must be slow to work that. Many of our personnel can't get 2-3 hrs. sleep in 24 hrs. never mind 48, would seem to push people to the limit to often. How long have you done it and how are injury/accident rates.

[This message has been edited by AntiqueFireLt (edited April 30, 2000).]

SantFire
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

We work 24/48 with a kelly day every 7th day worked. That means every 3 weeks we get 5 days in a row off. It's nice when you're at a busy house you look forward to your kelly day week like a 40hr guy looks forward to the weekend.

We have 3 uints;1 unit, 2 unit, 3 unit. We have something we call a kelly day cycle. It starts every 2 unit sunday and ends every 1 unit saturday. It takes 3 weeks to work through the cycle. In that time period every one has worked their kelly day and every unit has worked every day of the week. All transfers and personel changes are made at the start of a kelly day cycle.

Trades work out pretty well. We do them for as short as 4hrs or as long as 24hrs. I'm at a busy station so I try to get trades with guys at the slow ones. 48 hrs of running your tail off with little sleep gets rough.

I like it, it's easy to get in a rythymn of days on and off. This system also seems easier for family and friends to understand.

Stay Cool
    SantFire

WRENCH
    Firehouse.com Guest

Also being from Jersey got to agree with Kevin. 24/72 is they way to go , which is the nnorm in the north east. In this area we also do 10/14 2 10 hr days 1 off 2 14 hr nites 3 off . What ever doen't give anything up,and watch that it does not invole manpower reductions. Ask questions,what is the motive or reasoning behind why they want to change the shift schedules?

Ken Hanks
    Firehouse.com Guest

A common 4 platoon schedule in CT is 9 hour days, 15 hour nights. You work 3 day tours, 3 days off, 3 night tours, 3 days off. We tried for a 24 on, 72 off schedule this past contract, but it did not happen.

We used to work a 3 platoon system- 3 day tours(9hrs) followed by 3 night tours(15 hrs), then 3 days off. I believe it is a 56 hour a week average.

A few years ago, the town threatened to put us on an 8 hour like the police. My union said to go right ahead. Of course the politicians found out they would have to hire 8 or 10 more firefighters and pay 2nd and 3rd shift differentials. The town quickly withdrew it's proposal.

------------------
    Ken Hanks
    Captain
    Naugatuck FD
    IAFF L1219

Instructor
    Connecticut Fire Academy

[This message has been edited by Ken Hanks (edited May 05, 2000).]

Thread Information