Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    9m18
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down Treatment of employees

Just got off shift, where we received word that the Town had revised the personnel policy. We have now lost our longevity payment in return for a partial subsidy of health insurance costs after retirement. Sounds good? Well, we already have a health insurance subsidy after retirement paid for the the State Retirement System (not the town).
    All this because the union that represents most town employees (not the FD---we are members of IAFF, but are not large enough to be recognized as a bargaining unit) negotiated for it. The Town, in turn, applies everything the union settles on to all town employees, regardless of union affiliation, management, etc.
    So, we've had our longevity taken away in return for NOTHING.
    Is this legal?
    Any thoughts?
    Oh, it gets better...the Police Department's state retirement is the same as ours, but they operate under a police commission, which sets wages and benefits. So this doesn't apply to them. Same with the Library employees (Library Trustees). So the only department that loses longevity, but gets nothing in return is the Fire-Rescue Department.
    Please comment. Do we have any recourse?

------------------
    Stay Safe.
    You asked for my opinion, now you have it. It's mine and mine only. Any similarity to another opinion...living or dead...is purely coincidental.

[This message has been edited by 9m18 (edited April 08, 2000).]

WRENCH
    Firehouse.com Guest

9m18; first there is not enough info, need to know how your state labor laws are set up. do you have a contract? if you have one who is your bargaining agent? if not why? If in fact this other union does some how represents you or effects how you get raises and benies then why did you not have a say or a vote? I do not understand how something you have was taken with out negotiation? does your state have a dept of labor or division that represents public employees and hears disputes. on the face this seems like illeagal discrimination towards one unit. really need more facts for anyone to give you any real kind of help.

9m18
    Firehouse.com Guest

No contract. In NH, it takes 10 employees who form a union to be automatically recognized as a bargaining unit. We only have 6. The Town (Selectmen) can recognize us if they wish to, but to this point they have refused to recognize or bargain with us. The town takes whatever the other employee's union negotiates, and applies it to all of us.

------------------
    Stay Safe.
    You asked for my opinion, now you have it. It's mine and mine only. Any similarity to another opinion...living or dead...is purely coincidental.

WRENCH
    Firehouse.com Guest

tomkat, you guys got a real tough nut to crack. a last couple of suggestions, you stated that to be recognized auto matic you need ten, is there an appeal process? can you join another union to meet the quota? while not as desirable maybe joining an other town workers union might help. and last if you belong contact your IAFF organization and if you dont joinuo quickly. good luck!

Thread Information