cpthunt
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Training Programs

I have recently taken the over the responsibility coordinating training for my dept. We have not had a training officer since the position was eliminated Five years ago so I do not have anything concrete to start from. Obviously our "training program" has not been very effective. I would be interested in any ideas or programs that I could take back to my committee.

------------------

mfgentili
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

Basics, Basics, Basics! Specialized training is fine but if you're just getting back into starting a training program stick to the basics (handling hose lines, throwing ground ladders, SCBA use, ventilation using hand & power tools, fire attack methods, etc. Get the IFSTA Essentials of Firefighting as a basic guide. I think it is the best firefighting training manual around. Also look at trade magazines such as Firehouse, Fire Engineering, Fire & Rescue etc. They always have good articles on training. Try to do as much hands on as possible. Keep it simple and encourage input from all members. Utilize people who have special knowledge or skills to teach others, regardless of their rank. Try to get a committment from your department's administration for proper funding for good training materials, props, and facilities. I always found that the most difficult aspect of being a training officer. Good luck and I hope your program works out.

------------------
    Mike Gentili
    New Bedford Fire Dept.

fireseeker
    Firehouse.com Guest

I agree with Mike. I would concentrate on the basics just to find out who is on what page. From there you can get a good idea of what type of planning for the future you will need to do. Having everybody working from the same resource is crucial. You will have alot of excellent instructors throughout your respective stations, use them. Don't try to do everything yourself. Delegation will play an important role in your position. The more you can delegate, the easier it will be for you to evaluate. Don't be afraid to try new ideas. Sometimes it is good to turn the prison over to the inmates. They have a pretty good idea what their strengths are, as well as their weaknesses. I wish you well. Never be afraid to ask for help. Take care my friend...

Capt. Mike

------------------
    fireseeker

Spanner
    Firehouse.com Guest

Having been in your shoes three years ago, I found that you need to see what information you have available. I had to start mostly from scratch.
    I agree that you need to know where your at before you know where you need to be.
    Start with the basics and slowly progress to the more advanced.
    If you have people that have been trained by the state fire academy use them.
    I am never afraid to call on others to teach in areas that they have been taught.
    If I can help, please feel free to contact me

jmatthe7
    Firehouse.com Guest

Capt,
    My department, Mt.Pleasant Fire in South Carolina has an excellent training program. It is based on OSHA and ISO requirements and the hours are spread out on a monthly basis. It works well and there is never a lack of material to cover. We also include training topics to help people prepare for promotional testing.

If you would like more info send me an e-mail.

Lt. J, Matthews

Thread Information