Thread: Gen-x ???????

bafirefighter
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

Sorry you feel the way you do towards new Firefighters. It is guys like you who have probably never had to test for the job or know what it is like to have to take 20-50 test across the nation in order to get into the job. I realize "old Dogs" need respect but I also Know that some of the "Old dogs" thinks it is ok to treat a new guy like ****. Sorry but times have changed you are correct no crybabies aloud so maybe you should retire, sounds like you are crying!!!!

Lt. Chester
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

It should be called "Generation (WH)Y????

Lt.Todd
    Firehouse.com Guest

bafirefighter,Since it's obvious to me that you are a Gen-x'er you may have had a problem understanding my orginial post.Younger people today have a very give-me-everything attitude.I was curious if this was problem everywhere!I have helped train over 100 new firefighters, and I can say this with some experience.The ones who are 25 and up, are married and held a different job prior to joining the fire service have a better attitude and are willing to work and learn about this job.It's the true Gen-X'ers that have this big chip on their shoulders,the I know everything attitudes.I never said or meant that all Gen-X'ers are like this,but there are alot of them.I have never treated any new firefighter with anything less then respect,I just expect the same!! By the way, I tested with numerous departments prior to landing this job 12 years ago.I then tested for driver and Lieutenant, and soon Captain.SERVE WITH PRIDE

JetAxe
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lt.Todd It is true that the rooks coming in today are different. I am a new Captain in a large metro dept in south east Texas and I see all of the above in our department. I try not to take anything personal. That gives me the ability to be patient. The only place I do not like to see this so called Gen X attitude is on the fire ground.

If this attitude is displayed on the fire ground, I can assure you that It will not be tolerated and corrective action will be taken. I have not had a problem there yet though.

As for the station duties, they can dislike their job all they want, I am still gonna see that it gets done!

Bill Nowicki
    Firehouse.com Guest

Everyone who has ever come on the job has experienced the abuse that comed with being a rookie. It's what you make of it that will determine how the rest of your career goes. I'm in a mid sized dept in the nertheast and my first 4 years were full of "hazing" but now that I have 10+ years on the job, I find that all those little shots and rituals were worth it. I still won't wear a nomex hood and I think Bunker pants are overrated except in cold weather. P.S. I wear a leather helmet. Noe for the disclaimer...the opinions expressed are only mine and do not represent the official policies of my department.

McGyver
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

There were a few profound quotes in this thread, on this subject, that I strongly agree with.

Quote from PMedic5424:
    My theory is that the highly "PC" world we live in is affecting station life. You can't say, do or even think anything without offending or degrading someone. I think it's ridiculous. And some of the people coming into the fire service today recognize this, and use it to their advantage.
    We eat, sleep, study, LIVE at our jobs, and can't be compared to any other occupation.

Quote from Lt.Todd:
    Younger people today have a very give-me-everything attitude.
    The ones who are 25 and up, are married and held a different job prior to joining the fire service have a better attitude and are willing to work and learn about this job. Itís the true Gen-X'ers that have this big chip on their shoulders, the I know everything attitudes.

I'm 37 years old, 8 yrs on the job. I did 4 years in the military, and worked in a couple different jobs before I got the best job in the world.

These guys said it very well. I'm not saying that at 18 I was perfect. I'm not now. I'm far from it. I know I didn't think ANYONE owed me ANYTHING I didn't earn.
    It seems today that these younger guys are of that mindset.

You're "dissin' me". WAAAH!

You have to EARN respect to get respect buster!

If you come walkin' in my "house" tellin' me times have changed,(in the last 6 months)and I'm not gonna' do that because it embarrasses me, or hurts my feelings, to mop the kitchen, and do the dishes, or scrub the crappers, you're not being very respectful of the tradition of your new lifestyle.

Guess what. EVERY guy you want to say is "ridin the lazy-boy" did EXACTLY what you are (supposed to be) doing.
    I'm sure they didn't like it any more than you do, but did it nonetheless. They watched the guys (long retired) drinkiní coffee while they worked. It's how it's always been.

When you break "tradition", and try to buck the system by whining about how you are being "hazed" or "dissed" or "discriminated against", what pedestal do you expect your brother and sister "housemates" to put you on.

As was previously quoted, this isn't an office situation. It's a family situation!

We are like a family living day to day. I spend a third of my life (not to mention overtime) w/ my engine housemates.
    We spend a lot of holidays, birthdays, and anniversaries together.
    We also are great friends off the job.

It's my view that someone new to a family would want to try their damnedest to fit in.

Instead nowadays, you are walkin' on eggshells. Worried you might slip out some unintentional "offensive" word, gesture, or whatever.

My Dad used to tell me "Sticks and stones may break your bones, but words/names will never hurt you"

Doesn't anyoneís parents tell their kids this anymore. I think the hand them their lawyers business card instead.

I wore braces on my teeth in school I wish I had a nickel for every time I was called "railroad tracks" or some other name. It was upsetting, but I (nor my Dad) ever thought to sue the school. He just ran the Sticks&Stones quote by me.

This post isn't going to change anything, that's for sure, but maybe a few people who read this will take it to heart. You may think I'm digressing from the subject, but I think this is dead on!

When you threaten a person in their "house", w/ being fired from their career for a slip of the tongue, or an "accidentally emptied bucket of water down the hose tower on the cub" because you hurt their feelings, how do you expect them to act toward you?

They will try to distance themselves as much as possible from you, as to not be able to offend you. (This can also be considered as harassment) How much experience are you going to pick up that way.
    I think you can learn maybe 10-20% of this job from reading it in a book. The rest is experience. War stories can, besides their entertainment value, teach volumes.

In closing just remember, the old timers HAVE been there and DONE THAT.
    They took buckets, flour on the sheets, and mashed potatoes in the shoes (laces tied in knots). When you get it done to you, remember how they did it and laugh it off. (If theyíre not doing this stuff to you, they probably donít like you.) Youíll have a cub to do it to before long.
    Itís TRADITION, not a personal attack on your inner child.

Listen to the stories and same types of terms and pranks played in these forums from across the country. Computers have only been around for a while. Thatís not how they were spread. They are age-old traditions. They didnít just start when you hit the street.
    Just be thankful we donít use horses anymore!

Lastly, youíre going to be the 50-year-old guy some day. Do you think you are going to feel like you are supposed to be doing the crappers, when thereís a kid around the firehouse thatís the same age as your kid at home?
    Hopefully that kid at home has some chores to do. Some RESPONSIBILITY.
    That old timer is responsible for getting you to the scene safe, and getting you water.
    I donít condone old timers going to bed when they get to work. (Iím not saying it doesnít happen) They have their apparatus to check out. Maybe write a test for you to take after chow. If that kind of thing is going on, your officer isnít doing his job.

JMHO

Sorry I went on so long,

McGyver

"All for one, and one for all..."
    Not
    "All for one and one for ME"

Guess I need this.....

This is my opinion only, and does not reflect the opinions or views of the City or Department I work for. (even though I don't really specify what dept that is)

McGyver
    Firehouse.com Guest

There were a few profound quotes in this thread, on this subject, that I strongly agree with.

Quote from PMedic5424:
    My theory is that the highly "PC" world we live in is affecting station life. You can't say, do or even think anything without offending or degrading someone. I think it's ridiculous. And some of the people coming into the fire service today recognize this, and use it to their advantage.
    We eat, sleep, study, LIVE at our jobs, and can't be compared to any other occupation.

Quote from Lt.Todd:
    The ones who are 25 and up, are married and held a different job prior to joining the fire service have a better attitude and are willing to work and learn about this job. Itís the true Gen-X'ers that have this big chip on their shoulders, the I know everything attitudes.

I'm 37 years old, 8 yrs on the job. I did 4 years in the military, and worked in a couple different jobs before I got the best job in the world.

These guys said it very well. I'm not saying that at 18 I was perfect. I'm not now. I'm far from it. I know I didn't think ANYONE owed me ANYTHING I didn't earn.

You're "dissin' me". WAAAH

You have to earn my respect buster!

If you come walkin' in my "house" tellin' me times have changed (in the last 6 months) and I'm not gonna' do that, because it embarrasses me, or hurts my feelings, to mop the kitchen, and do the dishes, or scrub the crappers.

Guess what. EVERY guy you want to say is "ridin the lazy-boy" did EXACTLY what you are (supposed to be) doing.
    I'm sure they didn't like it any more than you do, but did it nonetheless, they watched the guys (long retired) drinkiní coffee while they worked.

When you break "tradition", and try to buck the system by whining about how you are being "hazed" or "dissed" or "discriminated against", what pedestal do you expect your brother and sister "housemates" to put you on.

As the first quote said, we are like a family at work. I spend a third of my life (not to mention overtime) w/ my engine housemates. We spend a lot of holidays, birthdays, and anniversaries together. We also are great friends off the job.

It's my view that someone new to a family would want to try their damnedest to fit in.

Instead nowadays, you are walkin' on eggshells. Worried you might slip out some unintentional "offensive" word, gesture, or whatever.

My Dad used to tell me "Sticks and stones may break your bones, but words/names will never hurt you"

Doesn't anyoneís parents tell their kids this anymore. I think the hand them their lawyers business card instead.

I wore braces on my teeth in school I wish I had a nickel for every time I was called "railroad tracks" or some other name. It was upsetting, but I (nor my Dad) ever thought to sue the school. He just ran the Sticks&Stones quote by me.

This post isn't going to change anything, that's for sure, but maybe a few people who read this will take it to heart. You may think I'm digressing from the subject, but I think this is dead on!

When you threaten a person in their "house", w/ being able to be fired from their career for a slip of the tongue, or an "accidentally emptied bucket of water down the hose tower on the cub" because you hurt their feelings, how do you expect them to act toward you?

It's like a new neighbor coming to your personal house and telling you you need to eat dinner a half an hour earlier than when you've done for years,or you can't park your car in the driveway anymore because he doesn' like it.

They will try to distance themselves (since they can't kick your a55) as much as possible from you, as to not be able to offend you. (This can also be considered as harassment) How much experience are you going to pick up that way.
    I think you can learn maybe 10-20% of this job from reading it in a book. The rest is experience. War stories can, besides their entertainment value, teach volumes.

Just remember, the old timers HAVE been there and DONE THAT.
    They took buckets, flour on the sheets, and mashed potatoes in the shoes (laces tied in knots). When you get it done to you, remember how they did it and laugh it off. (If theyíre not doing this stuff to you, they probably donít like you.) Youíll have a cub to do it to before long. Itís TRADITION, not a personal attack on your inner child.

Listen to the stories and same types of terms and pranks played in these forums from across the country. Computers have only been around for a while. Thatís not how they were spread. They are age-old traditions. They didnít just start when you hit the street.

Lastly, youíre going to be the 50-year-old guy some day. Do you think you are going to feel like you are supposed to be doing the crappers, when thereís a kid around the firehouse thatís the same age as your kid at home?

That old timer is responsible for getting you to the scene safe, getting you water, and basically watchin' out for your a55.

I donít condone old timers going to bed when they get to work. (Iím not saying it doesnít happen) They have their apparatus to check out. Maybe write a test for you to take after chow. If that kind of thing is going on, your officer isnít doing his job.

"All for one, and one for ALL"
    NOT
    "All for one, and one for ME"

McGyver

McGyver
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote from PMedic5424:

Quote from Lt.Todd:

If you come walkin' in my "house" tellin' me times have changed (in the last 6 months) and I'm not gonna' do that, because it embarrasses me, or hurts my feelings, to mop the kitchen, and do the dishes, or scrub the crappers.

I'm sure they didn't like it any more than you do, but did it nonetheless, they watched the guys (long retired) drinkiní coffee while they worked.

As the first quote said, we are like a family at work. I spend a third of my life (not to mention overtime) w/ my engine housemates. We spend a lot of holidays, birthdays, and anniversaries together. We also are great friends off the job.

When you threaten a person in their "house", w/ being able to be fired from their career for a slip of the tongue, or an "accidentally emptied bucket of water down the hose tower on the cub" because you hurt their feelings, how do you expect them to act toward you?

They will try to distance themselves as much as possible from you, as to not be able to offend you. (This can also be considered as harassment) How much experience are you going to pick up that way.

They took buckets, flour on the sheets, and mashed potatoes in the shoes (laces tied in knots). When you get it done to you, remember how they did it and laugh it off. (If theyíre not doing this stuff to you, they probably donít like you.) Youíll have a cub to do it to before long. Itís TRADITION, not a personal attack on your inner child.

That old timer is responsible for getting you to the scene safe, and getting you water.

"All for one and one for ALL"
    Not
    "All for one and one for ME"

McGyver

McGyver
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote from PMedic5424:

Quote from Lt.Todd:

McGyver
    Firehouse.com Guest

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

McGyver
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote from PMedic5424:

Quote from Lt.Todd:

McGyver

McGyver
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote from PMedic5424:

Quote from Lt.Todd:

McGyver
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote from PMedic5424:

Quote from Lt.Todd:

McGyver
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote from PMedic5424:

Quote from Lt.Todd:

McGyver
    Firehouse.com Guest

test

ffhammer
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hey guys, this is starting to sound like one of my union meeting, Old Guys vs. Young Guys. I see a lot of young guys who have never held another job, and their attitude is different from someone who has worked elsewhere. However, there are older guys who have never had an interest in the job, and that everything should be handed to them. I see members from each generation who spend more time on the phone dealing with side jobs than they will ever spend training. But these are the guys that we need to reach somehow, for the benefit of our profession. Just my two cents.

fstout
    Firehouse.com Guest

Interesting topic. I am 25 and a FF with a municipal fire department. I have senority and rank over some people in my department, but I'm still at least 3 years younger than them. My BC was hired on the department two years before I was born, but we are pretty good friends. Things have definitately changed in the last ~10 years. Guys tell me about when they tested for the job against 10 other people. When I tested there were 442 people who wanted the job that I got. The recent hires all have experience and college degrees, something that wasn't needed in the past. I guess I would hope that people remember, it shouldn't be "us" and "them", and age is different than attitude.

We didn't cause it, but we're going to fix it.

Smoke286
    Firehouse.com Guest

I've seen the type too, most of them seem to be body builders up here for some reason, but some of these kids have their heads screwed on strait. gotta give them a chance. The worst are the really dangerous guys, have a year or two in and think they know everything

Smoke286
    Firehouse.com Guest

I've seen the type too, most of them seem to be body builders up here for some reason, but some of these kids have their heads screwed on strait. gotta give them a chance. The worst are the really dangerous guys, have a year or two in and think they know everything

Smoke286
    Firehouse.com Guest

GILLEE
    Firehouse.com Guest

(Deep breath)

Remember why you are here. Why you are really here. If you are in it for the check, you are an idiot.

Remember where you came from.

Learn.

Teach.

You have two ears and one mouth. Use them proportionately.

When you get there, lead from the front.

Do not hold an entire generation at fault. We each follow our own paths. It is time for people to accept responsibility for their own actions....whether it is your first day or your last.

Look in the mirror once in a while.

Fight the good fight.

crashman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote from an earlier post:
    "I can hardly expect a guy with 10 or 20 years on to scrub toilets when a probie is in the house."

Do only your probies crap in the toilet, or do the old timers streak it up as well?
    It's a house, all hands scrub the ****ter. Get over yourself old man.Spend less time worrying what the probes and rooks are doing. You obviously aren't getting your job done if you can tell us what "they're not doing"

crashman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote from an earlier post:
    "I can hardly expect a guy with 10 or 20 years on to scrub toilets when a probie is in the house."

Do only your probies crap in the toilet, or do the old timers streak it up as well?
    It's a house, all hands scrub the ****ter. Get over yourself old man.Spend less time worrying what the probes and rooks are doing. You obviously aren't getting your job done if you can tell us what "they're not doing"

TILLERMAN-1664
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unfortunately, the fire service as a whole is inherently a negative atmosphere. It is so easy (as people have pointed out) to get sucked into bad attitudes, the negative atmospheres and become couch potatoes; whether we are young or old.
    As for the trend (and I am not saying it is all generation x'rs) it seems as though most generation x'rs have no clue and frankly no desire to get their hands dirty to do the job. They want the glory and the status, but don't want to have to break a sweat to get there.I remember making my fingers bleed and coming home and my back ached I worked so hard! Then they rag on the old guys that there are easier and better ways to do things. Well, if it's a better way for the fire service then by all means great, however, EASIER doesn't mean BETTER!
    It took me 10 years to get hired in my department. From that day forward I have cherished everyday in my department! I have been active in my union and found a passion to support! My friends that all have college degrees got hired with in the first 1 or 2 times of trying. Ironically enough, they are the one's complaining day in and day out! If it's not one thing it's another. I don't see a lot of them involved and they don't voice support for anything passionate except whatever it is they need to complain about for that day!
    I think in order to correct the service as a whole we all, "WE ALL" need to break down this individualism and get back to brotherhood!! Be Safe!

------------------
    "VERY PROUD" Union member of the I.A.F.F. as well as my local 1664.
    Notice this is my CAREER not my hobby. Help a burned child. Get involed...not sure how just ask. Marshall

TILLERMAN-1664
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unfortunately, the fire service as a whole is inherently a negative atmosphere. It is so easy (as people have pointed out) to get sucked into bad attitudes, the negative atmospheres and become couch potatoes; whether we are young or old.
    As for the trend (and I am not saying it is all generation x'rs) it seems as though most generation x'rs have no clue and frankly no desire to get their hands dirty to do the job. They want the glory and the status, but don't want to have to break a sweat to get there.I remember making my fingers bleed and coming home and my back ached I worked so hard! Then they rag on the old guys that there are easier and better ways to do things. Well, if it's a better way for the fire service then by all means great, however, EASIER doesn't mean BETTER!
    It took me 10 years to get hired in my department. From that day forward I have cherished everyday in my department! I have been active in my union and found a passion to support! My friends that all have college degrees got hired with in the first 1 or 2 times of trying. Ironically enough, they are the one's complaining day in and day out! If it's not one thing it's another. I don't see a lot of them involved and they don't voice support for anything passionate except whatever it is they need to complain about for that day!
    I think in order to correct the service as a whole we all, "WE ALL" need to break down this individualism and get back to brotherhood!! Be Safe!

------------------
    "VERY PROUD" Union member of the I.A.F.F. as well as my local 1664.
    Notice this is my CAREER not my hobby. Help a burned child. Get involed...not sure how just ask. Marshall

Thread Information