Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gen-x ???????

ffhammer
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hey guys, this is starting to sound like one of my union meeting, Old Guys vs. Young Guys. I see a lot of young guys who have never held another job, and their attitude is different from someone who has worked elsewhere. However, there are older guys who have never had an interest in the job, and that everything should be handed to them. I see members from each generation who spend more time on the phone dealing with side jobs than they will ever spend training. But these are the guys that we need to reach somehow, for the benefit of our profession. Just my two cents.

fstout
    Firehouse.com Guest

Interesting topic. I am 25 and a FF with a municipal fire department. I have senority and rank over some people in my department, but I'm still at least 3 years younger than them. My BC was hired on the department two years before I was born, but we are pretty good friends. Things have definitately changed in the last ~10 years. Guys tell me about when they tested for the job against 10 other people. When I tested there were 442 people who wanted the job that I got. The recent hires all have experience and college degrees, something that wasn't needed in the past. I guess I would hope that people remember, it shouldn't be "us" and "them", and age is different than attitude.

We didn't cause it, but we're going to fix it.

Smoke286
    Firehouse.com Guest

I've seen the type too, most of them seem to be body builders up here for some reason, but some of these kids have their heads screwed on strait. gotta give them a chance. The worst are the really dangerous guys, have a year or two in and think they know everything

Smoke286
    Firehouse.com Guest

I've seen the type too, most of them seem to be body builders up here for some reason, but some of these kids have their heads screwed on strait. gotta give them a chance. The worst are the really dangerous guys, have a year or two in and think they know everything

Smoke286
    Firehouse.com Guest

GILLEE
    Firehouse.com Guest

(Deep breath)

Remember why you are here. Why you are really here. If you are in it for the check, you are an idiot.

Remember where you came from.

Learn.

Teach.

You have two ears and one mouth. Use them proportionately.

When you get there, lead from the front.

Do not hold an entire generation at fault. We each follow our own paths. It is time for people to accept responsibility for their own actions....whether it is your first day or your last.

Look in the mirror once in a while.

Fight the good fight.

crashman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote from an earlier post:
    "I can hardly expect a guy with 10 or 20 years on to scrub toilets when a probie is in the house."

Do only your probies crap in the toilet, or do the old timers streak it up as well?
    It's a house, all hands scrub the ****ter. Get over yourself old man.Spend less time worrying what the probes and rooks are doing. You obviously aren't getting your job done if you can tell us what "they're not doing"

crashman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote from an earlier post:
    "I can hardly expect a guy with 10 or 20 years on to scrub toilets when a probie is in the house."

Do only your probies crap in the toilet, or do the old timers streak it up as well?
    It's a house, all hands scrub the ****ter. Get over yourself old man.Spend less time worrying what the probes and rooks are doing. You obviously aren't getting your job done if you can tell us what "they're not doing"

TILLERMAN-1664
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unfortunately, the fire service as a whole is inherently a negative atmosphere. It is so easy (as people have pointed out) to get sucked into bad attitudes, the negative atmospheres and become couch potatoes; whether we are young or old.
    As for the trend (and I am not saying it is all generation x'rs) it seems as though most generation x'rs have no clue and frankly no desire to get their hands dirty to do the job. They want the glory and the status, but don't want to have to break a sweat to get there.I remember making my fingers bleed and coming home and my back ached I worked so hard! Then they rag on the old guys that there are easier and better ways to do things. Well, if it's a better way for the fire service then by all means great, however, EASIER doesn't mean BETTER!
    It took me 10 years to get hired in my department. From that day forward I have cherished everyday in my department! I have been active in my union and found a passion to support! My friends that all have college degrees got hired with in the first 1 or 2 times of trying. Ironically enough, they are the one's complaining day in and day out! If it's not one thing it's another. I don't see a lot of them involved and they don't voice support for anything passionate except whatever it is they need to complain about for that day!
    I think in order to correct the service as a whole we all, "WE ALL" need to break down this individualism and get back to brotherhood!! Be Safe!

------------------
    "VERY PROUD" Union member of the I.A.F.F. as well as my local 1664.
    Notice this is my CAREER not my hobby. Help a burned child. Get involed...not sure how just ask. Marshall

TILLERMAN-1664
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unfortunately, the fire service as a whole is inherently a negative atmosphere. It is so easy (as people have pointed out) to get sucked into bad attitudes, the negative atmospheres and become couch potatoes; whether we are young or old.
    As for the trend (and I am not saying it is all generation x'rs) it seems as though most generation x'rs have no clue and frankly no desire to get their hands dirty to do the job. They want the glory and the status, but don't want to have to break a sweat to get there.I remember making my fingers bleed and coming home and my back ached I worked so hard! Then they rag on the old guys that there are easier and better ways to do things. Well, if it's a better way for the fire service then by all means great, however, EASIER doesn't mean BETTER!
    It took me 10 years to get hired in my department. From that day forward I have cherished everyday in my department! I have been active in my union and found a passion to support! My friends that all have college degrees got hired with in the first 1 or 2 times of trying. Ironically enough, they are the one's complaining day in and day out! If it's not one thing it's another. I don't see a lot of them involved and they don't voice support for anything passionate except whatever it is they need to complain about for that day!
    I think in order to correct the service as a whole we all, "WE ALL" need to break down this individualism and get back to brotherhood!! Be Safe!

------------------
    "VERY PROUD" Union member of the I.A.F.F. as well as my local 1664.
    Notice this is my CAREER not my hobby. Help a burned child. Get involed...not sure how just ask. Marshall

FireLt1951
    Firehouse.com Guest

LtTodd, I don't disagree with you. It seems that the younger ones who held no real job or never had to be a responsible individual, do have a different attitude. I've also found that if you teach them that training and book work is necessary it helps but it's not the end all. I also teach them that experience is the best teacher and to listen, learn and watch. We treat our probies hard for the first year and then they become total members of the family. The biggest thing I've noticed is that it has become just a job and not a way of life for many of them.

[This message has been edited by FireLt1951 (edited 05-05-2001).]

FireLt1951
    Firehouse.com Guest

Reduntancy again.

FireLt1951
    Firehouse.com Guest

OOPS

FireLt1951
    Firehouse.com Guest

Damn puter.

par/fire/1627
    Firehouse.com Guest

I am 27 years old and have approx 3 years on the job. I hope I am not thought of as a slacker, I work hard and will take on any menial job that comes along. However I do see what you are talking about, but it is not exclusive to the firehouse. I think that lazy attitude is everywhere. I work with people my own age and some of them think that because they showed up for work and are breathing when they got there, they deserve a paycheck. But it isn't everyone, some of us live the job and want to learn from the veterans. If you are a veteran firefighter at least give us a chance and show us how it needs to be done. How else will we learn?

spo0k
    Firehouse.com Guest

I am 20 and after 2 years of hard work and having my attitude "rearranged" I have finally started as a fulltime firefighter with a very good department in this area.

The attitude is definatly there, we grew up with everything handed to us by parents who wanted to provide a better life than one given to them. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but this demeanor doesn't fit well in the fire service. All it takes is a moderate (or maybe heavy) amount of hazing to either 1) weed these people out or 2) as is the case with myself, cause these firefighters to reevaluate themselves and improve/change their attitude. It is possible, I'm living proof

------------------
    FF. Mike Burnes
    Whitehall Fire Division

spo0k
    Firehouse.com Guest

I thought I posted on this topic but apparently not

Anyways I am definatly what would be considered a generation-x'er. I am 20 years old, have worked part time for 2 years (I was able to get my cards right after graduation due to a high school career center program in this area) and recently started full-time with a major department in this area.

I too came on this job with the attitude you speak of. At 15 I was an explorer and I didn't have a clue what the fire service was all about. I was an ***, and I knew absolutely everything. I learned real quick once I got out on the job that this just doesn't fly.

The growth that I was able to make in my two years as a part-timer, ****ing people off, learning from my attitude problems, so on, was the best thing that could have happened to me, both in my personal and professional life. Now (although I'm not too much older/more senior) I'm seeing other new guys starting with similar attitudes that I had an I realize just how far I have come.

My point is, the attitude is definatly there, but with a little prodding hazing the problem firefighters will either grow up and into this job, or realize that they'd rather work at burger king.

PlattsFire1
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I have been in the fire and rescue service for four years now. I guess you could say I'm a gen -xer. I don't feel as though I fit some of the labels that you have given me. After all, I was a firefighter in the Air Force for four years, having served 8 months of that time in Kuwait and Saudi Arabia. I don't really think I have a "give me everything attitude," nor am I disrespectful of my elders. I do agree that many gen-xers have some problems, but I don't think it is fair to assume that I have the same. If I had, I wouldn't have gotten an honorable discharge.

Besides, until you can tell me what it's like to fight a structure fire with an average daily temp of 126 F, then I don't beleive you have the right to judge me at all.

------------------
    Mike

Nate Marshall
    Firehouse.com Guest

The major reasons the old fogies are ****ed off is because they are being passed up by better educated, conditioned, and better firefighters. Most old timers I know just sit around and bitch while the younger guys go out and become paramedics, hazmat techs,
    generation whine is the old timers. Most should retire before they get someone hurt or killed. Its the 21st century, if you cant handle younger firefighters that are more tech savvy and in better condition and better educated than quit.

FireLt1951
    Firehouse.com Guest

Originally posted by Nate Marshall:
    The major reasons the old fogies are ****ed off is because they are being passed up by better educated, conditioned, and better firefighters. Most old timers I know just sit around and bitch while the younger guys go out and become paramedics, hazmat techs,
    generation whine is the old timers. Most should retire before they get someone hurt or killed. Its the 21st century, if you cant handle younger firefighters that are more tech savvy and in better condition and better educated than quit.
    Nate: You really need to grow up and stop your child like whining attitude. You remind me of the "I think I know it all" smart mouthed kid on the playground while I was a teacher.

You apparently don't feel you learned anything from any veteran firefighters. I find that hard to digest. One day you will be where the veteran firefighters are today. I really hope they give you the same bu*lsh@t your handing out here. Your holier than thou attitude will bite you in the As@ one day.

As I told you in another forum. I will match my knowledge, skills, education and firefighting qualifications against yours any day. If you don't believe that I'll put my qualifications and training on this forum and show you what an education is all about. You sir are not the end all at this time or in the future. The sooner you understand that, the better off you'll be. You hide behind anonimity and slam most people in these posts. You must be absolute perfection, NOT. Although you probably think so.

I'm curious if you talk to all your older superiors this way. I doubt it, you wouldn't have the guts and if you did you sure as hell wouldn't last long and you know it. Show your older whiney superiors your true attitude and see where it gets you. You are the type of individual that the true fire service doesn't need or want. You are a true embarrassment to us all and to the people you work with.

Thread Information