Forum Member

Default Yes , but !

Unfortunately, your scenario is mostly accurate. But lets say you worked any other job - the same is true.

The BFD would still try and argue coverage - you'd still most likely need a lawyer. I have seen guys go through this many times in the last twenty three years.

I know guys that hurt themselves at the BFD - go home - they go to their doctor about the new pain - then when they report off or try to claim an on duty incident their treated like criminals. I have seen guys injure rotator cups and wait a year for the Department to authorize a MRI.

Guys have had to use vacation and sick time to keep a pay check coming while the Department argues and stalls. I have seen the Department change guys from injured status to sick - without explanations as to the basis for the change.

So - whether its a paid second job or volunteering its most likely going to be a hassle for the person injured.

Lastly , I think part of what your missing is "Personal Freedom." No employer or Union should dictate what you do in your "Off Duty Time" - whether its a hobby , Politics , tattoos or another job.

Hell , you could get hurt in a car accident , what then ?

Once your "Off Duty - Your off Duty."

www.bfd-firedepartment.com
    23 years B.F.D. Local 282
    13 years U.A.W
    U.S.Military - Joined.

the 4-1-4

Quote Originally Posted by bfdhoser1 View Post
    Unfortunately, your scenario is mostly accurate. But lets say you worked any other job - the same is true.

Except for the heart/lung bill aspect, which is a benefit unique to firefighting.

So - whether its a paid second job or volunteering its most likely going to be a hassle for the person injured.
    Only if you're going to try and collect on the heart/ling bill. If you volunteer for a department, and suffer burns at a fire, there is not going to be much of an issue as to who should be responsible to your claim. The problem comes in when you want to get a claim because you suffer a heart attack 15 years later, or you suffer from lung cancer and decide it's in your best interest to seek your benefit from the heart/lung.
    Buffalo looks at your case, and questions whether your injury was because of your service to the city of Buffalo, or whether it was from your service to the volunteer department.

Lastly , I think part of what your missing is "Personal Freedom." No employer or Union should dictate what you do in your "Off Duty Time" - whether its a hobby , Politics , tattoos or another job.
    This isn't entirely true. We have fought long and hard against our city residency policy, which is being told to do something on your off-duty time. We have been ruled against a number of times. We also have policies against using drugs, etc...
    Beside the point, the union isn't telling you what to do in your off-duty time, they are advising you to do what they think is in the best interest of the union membership. Right or wrong, we pay our dues to have the union try to look out for us. If that isn't your cup of tea, you can separate from the union.

The fact remains that you're a member of a labor union, and derive many benefits from the membership. If you disagree with a policy it has, you can try change it, or out right ignore it. If you choose to ignore it, don't complain if sanctions are taken against you.

Hell , you could get hurt in a car accident , what then ?
    If you're hurt in a car accident, off-duty, you aren't going to be filing for a heart/lung bill claim. That is also why we have sick leave.
    If you become sick with an illness covered by heart/lung, you'll be filing for a claim. If you have multiple departments on your resume, the potential is there for a city to dispute that they are the ones responsible. Don't think for a minute that cash-strapped cities won't be fighting to save nickels and dimes at our expense.

To me this issue has never been about volunteers taking our jobs, and it hasn't been with my local. It has always been about keeping our benefit as easy to access as possible. There are loop holes, no doubt about it, and other aspects that hypocritical with it, like smoking. You can only tackle one aspect at a time, though.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lexfd5 View Post
    How do you even dig up an eight year old thread? Wasn't Clinton president when this thread started?
    Folks ask a question and they get the "search button" reply, guys use the search button and they get the "this thread is so damn old" reply......
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Default Double standards ? ! ?

[QUOTE=jasper45;965169]Except for the heart/lung bill aspect, which is a benefit unique to firefighting.

Agreed !

----------------------------------------------------------------
    [QUOTE=jasper45;965169]Buffalo looks at your case, and questions whether your injury was because of your service to the city of Buffalo, or whether it was from your service to the volunteer department.

Buffalo Fire Department has changed F.F.'s from injured status to sick - without any medical facts to support the change. Its a harassment tactic.

The Buffalo Fire Departments past "Legal Rep." accused a guy of "Faking" his illness/injuries - (Legal Rep.) wrote in a letter of charges that he had "Proof" - in a hearing he was asked by the F.F.(Not the Union or their lawyer) to present this medical "Proof" - he then said, "I heard from a nurse - your injuries weren't that bad." - needless to say that charge was dropped.
    Now remember the Union and their lawyer were witness to this whole incident and said nothing to defend or express any outrage over this witch hunt - nothing !

[QUOTE=jasper45;965169]This isn't entirely true. We have fought long and hard against our city residency policy, which is being told to do something on your off-duty time. We have been ruled against a number of times. We also have policies against using drugs, etc...
    Beside the point, the union isn't telling you what to do in your off-duty time, they are advising you to do what they think is in the best interest of the union membership. Right or wrong, we pay our dues to have the union try to look out for us. If that isn't your cup of tea, you can separate from the union.

How many of those people, "Advising" you on what to do or don't do in your off duty time have other "Jobs" or businesses off duty ? If its only "Advising" you - then why can you be brought up on charges over it ?

[QUOTE=jasper45;965169]The fact remains that you're a member of a labor union, and derive many benefits from the membership. If you disagree with a policy it has, you can try change it, or out right ignore it. If you choose to ignore it, don't complain if sanctions are taken against you.

Agreed - but doesn't the Fire Department Admin and the Union have to also follow their own "Policies and procedures" fairly and apply them honestly to all members ?

[QUOTE=jasper45;965169]If you're hurt in a car accident, off-duty, you aren't going to be filing for a heart/lung bill claim. That is also why we have sick leave.
    If you become sick with an illness covered by heart/lung, you'll be filing for a claim. If you have multiple departments on your resume, the potential is there for a city to dispute that they are the ones responsible. Don't think for a minute that cash-strapped cities won't be fighting to save nickels and dimes at our expense.

What if those preaching this do as I say - not as I do Policy have "Other jobs and businesses" where they engage in a "Hazardous" situation?

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    To me this issue has never been about volunteers taking our jobs, and it hasn't been with my local. It has always been about keeping our benefit as easy to access as possible. There are loop holes, no doubt about it, and other aspects that hypocritical with it, like smoking. You can only tackle one aspect at a time, though.
    Agreed - almost ! Why does it appear these and other "Guidelines" are usually enforced upon the "average Firefighter" - why does it seem that with "Rank or status" comes special rules? What about speed boating , motorcycle riding , horse back riding , smoking , - if those were "Union Protected" would we be allowed to participate in our "Off Duty Time?"

Don't get me wrong I support Unions - 13 years U.A.W. - 23 years Local 282 - My family has over 80 years of almost all Union Working members. I am pro-Union - I am pro-personal choice !
    Last edited by bfdhoser1; 07-06-2008 at 01:35 PM.
    23 years B.F.D. Local 282
    13 years U.A.W
    U.S.Military - Joined.

MembersZone Subscriber

Engine 3, At the state affi convention last month in Peoria a committee was formed to look into being a P.O.C. and volunteer for another department. There are concerns with volunteering and P.O.C. at another union department, this might causing layoffs. My past local had a section in the bylaws that forbid it, but it was not enforced because we are in rural area. I would check your bylaws with your local.

Thread Information