Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Second Job?

FireRebel
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

Scab Firefighter....come on know Buck, know one wants to hear that garbage, take it somewhere else!

willy164
    Firehouse.com Guest

In my department....EVERYONE has a second/side job.We work a 10/14 schedule and it does seem to get a little hectic scheduling hours with our side work but somehow we all seem to survive the second income.A 10/14 schedule, technically, works out to an 8 day work week over an 8 week cycle so the FD schedule always advances a day over this cycle and makes it tough to work with your second job employer. The guys who do their own thing (self employed contractors) dont have a problem with this.However,those of us who "work for the public sector" have difficulties. Fortunately, my part time employer works with me. I work at a local Ice Rink driving a Zamboni. We have 4 full time employees and 4 part timers. (1 FF ((that would be me)) and 3 Police officers) Because we work shift work at our "real" jobs, it works out rather well. In todays economy, it is almost imperative that we have 2 incomes to survive (and sometimes 3 incomes in some cases as mine....my wife works full time also....and to boot....we have 3 kids...mortgage...truck payments....bills...etc, etc,etc,) The whole trick is to persevere and do what you have to do to survive.

------------------
    Willy Thompson
    Teaneck Fire Department
    Teaneck N.J.

tkrzm
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hey Willy, I'm from Jersey. How about getting me in on that Zamboni!!! Big Devils Fan!

Thomas
    Firehouse.com Guest

Buck,

Seams like you offended some people. What do you mean by a "scab firefighter"?

Truck 2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

We work 10/14 like the Philly Roofers......lol I drive 18 wheeler for a construction company part time and labor for them sometimes on scale jobs...... ! The guy that owns the company left our dept. to take over his dads company so they work with me very well plus he is a volly chief just outside the city now. It does get a little hectic once in a while leaving one job changing cloths and going right to the other one or was it the other one..........lol

Lt.Chuck
    Truck-2 C

------------------

ednic
    Firehouse.com Guest

I work a painter for a gentleman. He is very understanding of my schedule. I believe that all the firefighters on our department work second jobs.

------------------

Profireman
    Firehouse.com Guest

WOW glad to hear someone works a 10/14 besides me lol
    Nearly all of us work another job.
    I install fire alarms..How convenient eh ? haha

scott

Lt.Todd
    Firehouse.com Guest

I also work as a sub teacher,very flexible on the days I work.
    However,I have to say that part-time work is destroying the fire service.I see alot of guys who treat the fire service as their part-time job and thier part-time job as thier careers.Guys come to the station tired and more concerned about the next paint job, then training for a possible rescue.I'am not saying we shouldent work part-time, we just need to keep in mind what our true job is.Maybe one day we will be paid what were all worth! SERVE WITH PRIDE

Jeff Daigle
    Firehouse.com Guest

I work part-time as a fire instructor for Lamar Univ. (Industrial Side)
    All of our part-timers work for local Depts.
    It's all the fire I want to play with, a free lunch(sometimes even a free breakfest), and I even get paid for it. Can't beat it, unless I was a bartender part-time.(If I did that part-time I know I would get in trouble)

fdbxny
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

Too bad we are not paid enough to only work ONE job. Whats your union done for you lately?

pete fister
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

I work 2 side jobs on days off.

1) Lowes Home Improvement Warehouse...very flexible with my hours. I pretty much tell them when I can work and they understand that Fire Dept comes first with OT, Fire and Dive call outs, etc.

2)Berrien Removal Service - Body removal company...ya I know.

FitzBFDT2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

My second job is taking care of my 22 month old son. I am Mr. Mom. Wife is a teacher and we do 24/72's so it is pretty good. I love it and don't have any regrets about not working on the outside.

------------------
    Kevin M. Fitzhenry, bfdt2@fitzhenry.com
    Firefighter, Truck Co. 2
    City of Bayonne (NJ) FD
    www.bayonnenj.org/fire/

Bleve_30
    Firehouse.com Guest

Why the sour attitude fdbxny? I think that most firefighters work work the second job mostly just to keep busy. Only a few of our guys work a little sideline stuff, and none of it is for another boss. Thanks to the union we have great benefits and decent wages with a lot of time off to enjoy a great lifestyle if we choose. Not to mention the safer working conditions that are fought for by the International. They also do a lot of research into issues that affect all firefighters, not just ones belonging to the Association.

My wife works and we have two kids and we still live paycheck to paycheck, but it beats the heck out of pumping gas...

Money can be tight for anyone, regardless of how much they make.

Bleve_30

[This message has been edited by Bleve_30 (edited 11-21-2000).]

aussie george
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

i'm from sydney australia we work the 10/14 4 on 4 off roster.1 have 2 second jobs mow lawns 1 or 2 days a week and also drive a cab 1 shift a week.99% of firefighters i know work a second job over here.the dept doesn't mind as long as we turn up for work on our rostered days.also as of late i have been doing the best second job of all overtime,there has been heaps of o/t here as of late.
    stay safe out there
    GEORGE AUSSIE

dtj
    Firehouse.com Guest

Firefighting is my second job. Full-time, I'm a Shift Commander at a state prison; part-time, USAF firefighter for 22 years, active-duty and reserve.

fireman_387
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

My second job is a fire equipment sales company I co-own with my wife. check it out sometime at www.10-33.com . I have been in sales on my off duty time for 5 yrs now. Wife has a new respect for the job now that she nows the depth of things.

parisfireops
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Fulltime Civ. Firefighter for Ark. State Military Dept. ANG (ARFF)- many 2nd jobs (1) taking care of my two yr. old daughter and its great. (2) Serving as a Msgt.in the Ark. ANG. (3)Adjunct Instructor for Ark. Fire Academy (Industry Program). (4) Volunteer Firefighter for my home town and on the County DEM for Haz-Mat, and County Rescue squad. Sounds busy but I'm really not.

ffhammer
    Firehouse.com Guest

I work part-time as a medical attendant for a local mining company. I also teach at the local college. I work the extra jobs so that my wife can stay at home with the kids. I'm with LT, let's remember the difference between a career and a job.

ffnbs
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

I drive a schoolbus during the school year and install in-ground pools in the summer. Most of the FF in my dept. have second jobs. I don't think we took this job to get rich, even tho' I am a second generation FF I could never see myself sitting behind a desk my whole career.

14Rescue1
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Work per-diem for an ED based ALS ambulance service in the next city, as well as being a SGT in the NHARNG. On top of this became a member of the regional HazMat Response Team.

Thread Information