Thread: Second Job?

Chief Taylor
    Firehouse.com Guest

My other jobs are: Working on medical staff at a sports/events arena. I was a Volunteer Fire Chief for four years but needed more family $$. I also work the summers as a wildland firefighter.

iaff1937
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

My second job is with the same city that I'm a firefighter with. I sub-contract to read water meters for the city's water department. It requires ALOT of walking and keeps me in great shape. The best thing of all is that I'm my own boss and I only put in about 40hrs. per month. I get paid by the meter not by the hours. The only draw back is the cold Mid-west winters.

FireLt1951
    Firehouse.com Guest

Spent my leave days as a teacher in one of the local high schools. They were very accepting and worked around my schedule. Taught government, history, sociology and science for the students taking college prep classes.

[This message has been edited by FireLt1951 (edited 05-09-2001).]

Fuller
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

About 95% of my department has a second job. I work 25-30 hours a week as a fire extinguisher service technician. Everybody be safe.

Lone Hunter
    Firehouse.com Guest

Man,I can't believe so many of you work for someone "on the books".Most of my dept. works side jobs,almost all off the books.

Mostly self-employed construction trades.Btw window washing is very big,if you can't pull in $150-$200 for a 8 hour window job your doing something wrong.

gifd2144
    Firehouse.com Guest

I dispatch for my vollie dept for p/t work.
    I see alot more action at home than work but then again with only 50 people on the island I work on and 35,000 at home makes sense.

Squadman911
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'm working part time for a local Vol. Rescue Squad. Only 12 - 24 hours a week Monday thru Friday. Drive the Medic Unit, Drive/Operate the Heavy Rescue and Operate the Boat. The only catch.....getting along with the volunteers. That's the hardest part of the whole gig. With our 24/48 schedule at my full time gig, it's easy to fit in family time.

FFD#30
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

We work 24/48, so on my two days I work for a local construction company building furniture and moving it for their model homes. I also build grain bins in the summer and help a buddy with field work in the spring and fall on his farm.

RLFD200
    Firehouse.com Guest

I just recently resigned from my part time job as a firefighter paramedic in my home town. Its hard putting up with the crap from two fire departments. Although I do love where I work full-time.

I work for an office furniture company that employs quite a few of us on off duty days. They have always been very flexible and understanding when it comes to working around our 24 on 48 off schedule. They allow us to work as many (or as few) days that we like.
    Crazy from the heat!!!

The first rule of having your own business as a second job is: DO NOT DO WORK FOR OTHER FIREMEN.

For the most part they are "CHEAP BASTARDS", who all want somthing for nothing.

They will try to beat you down on your price, and then have the nerve to take there time paying you.

SIRENE'S post sumed it up when she said, "what a great way to save money", I rest my case !!!!

I am a Federal Firefighter and I own my own lawn maintenance business. I take care of lawns on my days off from March to November.
    I work for a great guy and the money is pretty good.

For a while I thought I was the only guy in the Dept who didn't work on the side. Then I remebered that I build and host websites on the side. Duh!
    I do it from right where I'm sitting now so it never really feels like another job. Pays good though.

Forum Member

if you do work a second job list it on www.odff.com for free. We will help you get more business.

MembersZone Subscriber

Nearly 12 year old thread, resurrected with SPAM!

Thread Information