Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Second Job?

82engine
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Second Job?

Just wondering how many full time firefighters work a second job. (I've noticed alot in Philly seem to be self-employed roofers.) How does your work schedule fit in with your firefighting shift work? Is your employer understanding or do you have an agreement with him?

Quint1Medic
    Firehouse.com Guest

I work part-time for a hospital. It's a handy place to work, 'cause it's open all the time. I can pretty much go in and work whenever I want!

As for the other jobs FF's have, I think a lot of them are either self-employed tradesmen or work in fire-related (e.g. alarm companies) fields. That facilitates both scheduling and cooperation!

chevelle ss
    Firehouse.com Guest

Every f/f I know has some kind of second job.We work 24/72 so it is convenient.In my dept. we have 2 plumbers 2 electricians 2 pipe fitters 1 mason and a couple of contractors.

Kissmibut
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

I work both part time in a local e/r as a medic and do some roofing with a captain I work with who has his own construction company.

Lieutenant Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I write for a local newspaper and have an automotive detailing business on the side.

------------------
    We boldly go where no one else dares...
    take care and stay safe
    Lt. Gonzo

9m18
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I have two part-time jobs--- I am a fire inspector for the State Fire Marshal's office, and a fire inspector for a nearby town's department. Keeps me out of trouble--or in it--- off duty.

------------------
    Stay Safe.
    You asked for my opinion, now you have it. It's mine and mine only. Any similarity to another opinion...living or dead...is purely coincidental.

engine10_iaff12
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I have a route that I do for a local hospital putting up "body/mind" health posters for employee wellness. It's only 2 days a month and pays very well, until the price of gas skyrocketed anyways....

------------------
    G.B. Yoho (member)
    IAFF Local #12
    Wheeling Firefighters
    Wheeling, WV.
    Be Alert and Be Safe!!!!

WOODMAN
    Firehouse.com Guest

Work for my brother mowing lawns sometime but
    mostly just stay at home spending time with
    my two boys and getting in the wife's way.

WSFDBILL
    Firehouse.com Guest

I also work part time...work for a fire extinguisher service company....about half of our dept does work at some sort of part time work

fireman116
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I work part time for the county ambulance as an EMT-B, a part-time 911 dispatcher, and do computer work for local companies. Works well with our 24/48 work schedule.

Quigs
    Firehouse.com Guest

I work part-time for a towing company my days off. Boss is real flexible, and people are always breaking down and crashing.

It's a good way to earn a little "play" money.

eng16ine
    Firehouse.com Guest

i work another f.d. where i live. its a mon-fri job 8-5 (yeah right)as if it ever 8-5. so i am usually working every off day from my reg 24 shift. plus emt school 2 nights a week. believe me i am just about spent. 2 f.d. jobs is just not the way to go

NCFiremedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Work part time with a local Military hospital doing ACLS transfers and also cover some of the paid shifts at the combination Dept I vollie with.

Lt. Chester
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

I bartend part time -yes, even officers need PT jobs-- I can watch all the sports I want, Eat whatever want, and it's all CASH Money baby !!!! It's almost like being at the firehouse {sometimes}

BC White
    Firehouse.com Guest

I work for a concrete company in my fire district (5 other guy's from my department also work there).
    I like it because it keeps me up on the latest in building construction, they love my schedule (24 on, 48 off), and the money is good.

Les.H
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

Had quite a few jobs as well as being on shift. Before I joined up, I served an apprenticeship as a painter & decorater. So I use to Artex ceilings. I was also a retained firefighter, a secretary to a social club, a chairman of a bowls club and now and again I would see 'Er in Doors'. She would then task me with other jobs, which of course were unpaid.

Other crew members had jobs as double glazing fitters, mechanics, drivers, window cleaners, removals, security and builders. I think the biggest job that most of them had was to keep it a secret from the tax man. The things we do for extra pennies.

------------------
    Kindest regards & keep safe,

Sprinkle (UK)

Hacksaw
    Firehouse.com Guest

Here in Oz, specifically,NSW,second jobs or "Quarry" as we call it, is as varied as the sky.
    Guys will do anything if there is a quid in it!I put up real estate signs 2 days a week.
    But we all know the best "quarry" and that's when you're missus works.
    Then the second best is when you can jag some o/t at the fire station!
    So good luck!

Firediver
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

I work full time for a municipal fire dept., and I work part-time as a FF at a local airport. and I teach scuba.

Buck
    Firehouse.com Guest

I work at a union chemical plant as an operator. And on my days off I work as a scab firefighter for a combo dept.

Irish Emeralds
    Firehouse.com Guest

It figures, all great posts about what FF's do for a second job until buck from texas has to add his crap. I also have a second job working at home do investment transactions for friends and coworkers and sometimes daytrading.

May your next tour be a safe one.

Thread Information