Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    mmoor
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Firefighters and Sarcoidosis

Does anyone know of a fellow firefighter who has Sarcoidosis? If so have they linked it with the job?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FireRebel
    Firehouse.com Guest

can you explain Sarcoidosis?

DavesNavy
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

Greetings,

Sarcoidosis is a granulomatous disease in which inflammation occurs in lymph nodes, lungs, liver, eyes, skin and other tissues

The cause of the disease is unknown. Possible causes include a hypersensitivity response, a genetic predisposition, or chemicals. The incidence is highest among North Americans of African heritage and Northern European Caucasians. The onset of the disease usually occurs in people between 30 and 50 years old. The incidence is 2 out of 10,000 people.

I was diagnosed via parotid gland biopsy in 1990. The symptoms resolved within about 6 months. At the time of my illness I was on active duty in the Navy as an Independent Duty Corspman, and did extensive research on the disease. To my knowledge, there have been no links made to occupational exposure (in any occupation) and onset of the disease.

I suggest you check www.webmd.com or the National Medical Library web site for more information.

Thread Information