Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    NUMBY
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down Lack of IAFF coverage

I log on to firehouse.com on a daily basis, as well as reading the publicaion monthly with many other fire service publications. It seems like there is always little to no coverage about the IAFF and its members. Seems like there is always plenty to say about the National Volunteer Fire Council. They get coverage and are mentioned quite frequently. Always articles abbout what is going on in their organization. Right now one of the biggest IAFF conventions ever is going on in Chicago. The only coverage is a link to the information right off the IAFF web site. The most i've ever really seen about the IAFF was when Firehouse did the article about the Worcester tragedy. Just thought id check to see if anyone else ever noticed the lack of coverage and if anyone knows why it doesnt get more attention.

------------------
    Anything left in the forums is my opinion and does not reflect my department or any organization i belong to.

CFD14
    Firehouse.com Guest

Not wanting to step on any toes or upset
    anyone, but when the ratio of vollie to
    career is 80/20 or 70/30 depending on who
    you beleive, its purely a numbers issue. There are some articles about the new elected
    officials. Also the one about IAFF supporting
    "algore" for President, but that is another
    thread just waiting to happen. I saw a poll
    on firefighter.com that had like 76% for Bush
    and the rest for "algore".

Take care and stay safe.

HHoffman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

What about the 20 or 30 % running 80 or 90 % of the incidents?

------------------
    Henry C. Hoffman Jr.

Administrator

Just to clairfy, while there may not be always articles directly about "The IAFF", we focus on all departments and the IAFF has been a major source of many recent stories, including the Hep-C issues in Philadelphia as well as the FIRE Act. And while we can't speak for other publications, we have an excellent relationship with many IAFF locals and the International in Washington and will continue to grow that relationship. Our convention coverage included a detailed synopsis of the change in guard after Al Whitehead's retirement and Al Gore's visit to the convention.

Thanks for your continued support ... and if you know of issues we are missing or should know about, please don't hesitate to e-mail.

Firehouse.Com WebTeam

CFD14
    Firehouse.com Guest

"What about the 20 or 30 % running 80 or 90 % of the incidents?"
    ------------------
    Henry C. Hoffman Jr.

Hmmmmm. Incidents now read magazines and peruse websites? Interesting concept. LOL

Lieutenant25
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Mr. Hoffman

I would love to see the independent substantiations of the statistics you quote.

I am compiling a history of the Fire Service, and hope to get this History published. I am including ALL factions of the Fire Service.

If you have those facts and figures and they are substantiated by independant sources (Not just the NVFC or IAFF), I would very much like to get the appropriate permissions and to use them in a portion of my book.

Thanks for the help.

Goat

[This message has been edited by Lieutenant25 (edited August 10, 2000).]

NUMBY
    Firehouse.com Guest

As for the topic of the 80%-90%. In a brochure by the IAFF i read that 80-90% of all the people in the US are in cities covered by IAFF professional firefighters. There might be an overall higher percentage of firefighters that are volunteer, but the majority of the people are covered by career depts. Before you all get mad and start a debate, think about it. Almost all large cities are fully paid IAFF affiliated departments. Most the population does live in these bug cities.

------------------
    Anything left in the forums is my opinion and does not reflect my department or any organization i belong to.

Thread Information