BOMBERODAVE
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post IAFF WHAT DO WE GET OUT OF IT?????

OK HERE IS THE ORDEAL.
    WE ARE A COMBANATION FIRE DEPT. AND ARE GOING FOR COLLECTIVE BARGANING AND HOPEFULLY CIVIL SERVICE LATER ( I HAVE NO IDEA WHY THE REST OF THE GUYS WON'T GO FOR CIVIL SERVICE I GUESS IT'S THE GOOD'OLE BOY SYSTEM)CAN ANY ONE TELL ME WHAT WE WOULD BENIFIT FROM THE IAFF

ADSN/WFLD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Currently you have no barganing unit, correct

A Union will protect you when the administration begins to change how the game is played without your consent. Currently the brass can do basically whatever they want and you can't do anything with the exception of getting a lawyer and taking them to court. With representation you are one collective voice, and pocketbook.

Also become organized before you have problems, once you start loosing things you may not be able to get your things back (like health insurance, days off, etc).

Find a rep from the union and have him explain what they can do for you. It will be rough at first but in the long run you will be better off.

Stay Safe

[This message has been edited by ADSN/WFLD (edited August 31, 2000).]

Kissmibut
    Firehouse.com Guest

Well said ADSN. Your Union is only as strong as the people in it.You need strong members to support your rights.We have had a few tiffs with the city administration and the Union assisted us with advice and in the end helped fund a lawyer.You hope you never need them but if you do..........

Captain Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

What can you get out of the IAFF?

The IAFF is an excellent source for research and information about many different issues facing firefighters today, such as communicable diseases, hazardous materials, health and safety issues and a whole lot more!

Texas is a "right to work" state, and the community may not recognize your union, but if work together, you can improve your health, safety and your security.

------------------
    Firefighters: Today's heroes protecting our tomorrows....
    Captain Gonzo

BOMBERODAVE
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

THANKS ALOT GUYS BUT WHAT CAN THE IAFF HELP US GET WHAT WE CANNOT DO FOR OURSELVES?????
    WE CAN INFORM OURSELVES ABOUT THE MENTIONED THINGS? BUT WHAT IS THEIR MAIN SELLING POINTS?
    DON'T GET ME WRONG I AM FOR THE IAFF BUT I NEED SO GOOD SELLING POING TO GET THE OTHERS INVOLVED. THE GUYS WERE ON IT BEFORE BUT THEY EXPECTED ONCE THE JOINED THAT THEY WOULD GET THE HOLE NINE YARDS. SSSO I DON'T REALLY KNOW HOW TO SELL THEM IN TO IT.....

BOMBERODAVE
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

well nver mind and thanks anyway

kohn
    Firehouse.com Guest

TAKE IT FROM PERSONNAL EXPIERENCE, JOIN THE UNION IT IS WELL WORTH THE DUES, IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM THEY WILL BE THERE FOR YOU, HIRING YOUR OWN LAWYER(S) IS MIGHTY EXPENSIVE AND DOES NOT GUARENTEE YOU WILL HAVE PROPER LEGAL REPRESNTATION

Roy_D_Jr
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Just imagine having one of the most powerful labor organizations backing you up with any problem you have. Without the IAFF, our members would probably be working in unnessarily unsafe working conditions for measley wages. They have also been the biggest asset in our current EMS battle with the private ambulance service. You need to contact your state association president and have him/her sit down with you to get a clearer picture of the situation.

heibs99
    Firehouse.com Guest

The IAFF has lobbied for much of the legislation that is in place today that protects us and looks out for us. For example, the 2-in 2-out rule, the line of duty death investigation, the heart and lung bill, these are a few of the reason. They also have available to all IAFF departments, training aids, information is available pertaining to anything fire or ems related. If they do not have it they will find it and get it to you. IAFF for sure!!

Heibs

OneLick
    Firehouse.com Guest

Dave,
    If you call (202)737-8484 and tell them your problem, they will get you in touch with your district vice-president. He will set up a meeting and explain to you the pros and cons of being in the IAFF(frankly, I can't think of any cons) or go to IAFF.org and get the 800 number. Hope this helps.
    OneLick

Kobersteen
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Better yet, I'll tell ya that our District VP is Buddy Mass. Real good guy, I've talked to him on numerous occasions. You can reach Buddy at (210) 735-0545.

You can also call the Texas State Fire Fighters Association, in Austin, and talk to President Larry Keith. The number to TSFFA is (512) 326-5050. Their website is: http://www.tsaff.org/

Good luck in your search!

------------------
    Cheers,

Kobersteen
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    Houston Fire Department
    Webmaster - www.local341.org

Thread Information