Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    RGDCfd
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post 53 hr weeks and even paychecks

Looking for info on even paychecks in 53 hour workweek setting. Must comply w/ FLSA. Currently on 19 day pay period w/ 72,96 and 120 hour paychecks.Please provide any source documentation available.

RGDCfd
    Firehouse.com Guest

aha

Hammerhead338
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Even paychecks? What is that.

We work a 28 day pay period, with 3 or 4 different amounts. We were told that we could stay with the 28 day but they could give us even paychecks, they would just have to change something with the computer program.

Ill let you know how it works out.

Joe

Jolly Roger
    Firehouse.com Guest

We woek 24/48 with Kelly Days. We get one Kelly Day per 27 day pay cycle. The Kelly Day is an unpaid day off. What this does is lower our hours worked so that we don't hit OT every pay period, plus gives us 13 five day streches a year. The drawback is that when we do work an extra shift, the first 12 hrs are at straight time.

Because of the Kelly Days, our paychecks averages are brought down to 50 hrs/wk instead of the 56 that 24/48's traditionally average. I am not complaining, however, as my FD compensates us almost what we're worth! Besides, I average about 9 extra shifts a year, so I am fat, dumb, and happy!

Jolly Roger

------------------
    Let's not let the honor, tradition, and pride of the fire service erode away.

EnjineCaptain
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

The IAFC and IAFF both have excellent handbooks on the FLSA. The IAFF handbook specifically has a section on averaging paychecks.
    GOOD LUCK.

------------------
    I'm glad to hear from any of you.
    EnjineCaptain

"This isn't what we do, it's who we are!"

Prevent Harm, Be Safe, Be Nice - A. Brunancini

RGDCfd
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thanks for your help.rgdc
    Originally posted by EnjineCaptain:
    The IAFC and IAFF both have excellent handbooks on the FLSA. The IAFF handbook specifically has a section on averaging paychecks.
    GOOD LUCK.

RGDCfd
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thanks for your reply, please keep me informed about your out-come. I'll do the same
    Originally posted by RGDCfd:
    aha

RGDCfd
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thanks for your reply. We've already proposed the 27 day cycle w/kelly. It was shot down. rgdc
    Originally posted by Jolly Roger:
    We woek 24/48 with Kelly Days. We get one Kelly Day per 27 day pay cycle. The Kelly Day is an unpaid day off. What this does is lower our hours worked so that we don't hit OT every pay period, plus gives us 13 five day streches a year. The drawback is that when we do work an extra shift, the first 12 hrs are at straight time.

Because of the Kelly Days, our paychecks averages are brought down to 50 hrs/wk instead of the 56 that 24/48's traditionally average. I am not complaining, however, as my FD compensates us almost what we're worth! Besides, I average about 9 extra shifts a year, so I am fat, dumb, and happy!

Jolly Roger

FitzBFDT2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

You guys work too much. Try getting 24/72's. I know it is hard and you have to hire another 33% of the work force, but my department did it back in 1966. Went from 56 to 42 hour workweek. It is worth a shot.

------------------
    Kevin M. Fitzhenry, bfdt2@fitzhenry.com
    Firefighter, Truck Co. 2
    City of Bayonne (NJ) FD
    www.bayonnenj.org/fire/

Thread Information