Thread: HOW LONG?

FF27
    Firehouse.com Guest

Been tring for 4 years finally got on the job in PG County Maryland

E91
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Fire Rebel,
    I am a paid ff/EMT-I with Marion, Iowa. This is the second carrier department that I have been on. I took me 4 years and nine states to land my first job. It sounds like you already know the testing road well. I would fly, drive, swim, or crawl to just about any department that was holding a test. What worked for me was to make the oral board interview a priority. It is the most important part of your testing process. Anyone can pass a written of physical test but they really get to know you in your oral. Check out the FF's book store and get some oral board tapes to review. Keep it up and don't get down. The jobs aren't going to the smartest people out there, but to the ones who have done thier homework. Good luck and test, test, test.

JetAxe
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

It took me 2 years to get on the small department I first worked at. Then it took 3 years for me to get on at a major metro department.

Keep the faith! Mom was rite, good things come to those who wait!

Fire737
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

FireRebel
    Never Give up. Most guys only try a few times, realize the competition is to much and give up. I tested for 5 years and with 12 different FD's before getting picked up full time in 98. Good Luck

Fire737
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Firerebel
    Dont give up. Its worth the wait. Took me 5 years and 12 tests before I was picked up full time. Good luck

------------------
    All comments expressed are my own and do not reflect the opinions of the Logan Fire Dept or Local 2148

Dave
    Logan Fire Dept
    Local 2148

Tower1Lackey
    Firehouse.com Guest

Took me about 4 years. But, I look at those 4 years as a great time to better myself as I went. If you're determined and you know you'll be a good fireman - it will happen. Just don't give up.

Tower1Lackey
    Firehouse.com Guest

Took me about 4 years. But, I look at those 4 years as a great time to better myself as I went. If you're determined and you know you'll be a good fireman - it will happen. Just don't give up.

Profireman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Talk about luck...A friend asked me to go take the test with him just becuase he didn't want to go by himself.

He was a close friend, volley for years....all the classes.

I'd never seen a fire, was installing Fire Alarms & Camera Systems in banks..making bookoo bucks..had a nice house in a different city.....took the test with him and 198 other guys..finished 5th lol

Best thing I ever did.. He's still ****ed lol

So luck certainly has alot to do with it but our testing is pretty tough too.
    Only 40 out of 198 made it past the Written exam and only 6 were hired off the list I was on.
    I was hired 1 month before the 3 yr list expired. lol

scott

------------------
    My opinions do not necessarily reflect the opinions of my department or the professional organizations and associations to which I belong

------------------
    Pursuant to US Code, Title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, 227, any and
    all unsolicited commercial e-mail sent to any of the above address(s) is
    subject to a download and archival fee in the amount of $500.00 USD.
    Emailing denotes acceptance of these terms.

Profireman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talk about luck...A friend asked me to go take the test with him just becuase he didn't want to go by himself.

He was a close friend, volley for years....all the classes.

I'd never seen a fire, was installing Fire Alarms & Camera Systems in banks..making bookoo bucks..had a nice house in a different city.....took the test with him and 198 other guys..finished 5th lol

Best thing I ever did.. He's still ****ed lol

So luck certainly has alot to do with it but our testing is pretty tough too.
    Only 40 out of 198 made it past the Written exam and only 6 were hired off the list I was on.
    I was hired 1 month before the 3 yr list expired. lol

scott

------------------
    My opinions do not necessarily reflect the opinions of my department or the professional organizations and associations to which I belong

------------------
    Pursuant to US Code, Title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, 227, any and
    all unsolicited commercial e-mail sent to any of the above address(s) is
    subject to a download and archival fee in the amount of $500.00 USD.
    Emailing denotes acceptance of these terms.

Thread Information