Thread: hors of duty

Michael Bourque
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question hors of duty

I am a full-time F/F with a combination volunteer/full-time dept.We are looking to go around the clock staffing, and looking for anyone with info on the pros and cons of 10/14's and 24's.We are fighting the chief who wants three 8 hours shifts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by Michael Bourque (edited 12-05-2000).]

Hammerhead338
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

We work 24 on and 48 off, it works out pretty good for us, gives you enough time off for a second job if you want one.

Joe

9C7
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

We work a modified Kelly schedule, with 24 on, 48 hours per week. We are also a small combination department and this works well for us. Personally, I like this better than 10/14's, but to each his own.

------------------
    Stay Safe.
    You asked for my opinion, now you have it. Any similarity to another opinion, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

snowball
    Firehouse.com Guest

We also work a 24-48 like Hammerhead and 9C7
    but we are tossing around other schedules at this time. 1 on 1 off for two shifts then
    four off. 2 on 2 off for three then a six day kelly. Personally I like the 24-48 because you have a weekend after every shift,if you
    get an AWR that's 5 days off! It seems to work better for the training calendar too.
    Good luck ! snowball out!!

FitzBFDT2
    Firehouse.com Guest

You should try for 24/72's. It requires four shifts. They are great, 24 on , 72 off.

The benefits for the municipality are almost endless. Less sicktime, less overtime, training is delivered to all tours faster and in a row, one less shift change a day which means that if there is a fire at 1800 there is no OT. There are more benefits for the 24's than the 8's. In my personal opinion, 8's are just not in the cards for firefighting. With over 75% of the career departments in the USA doing 24's and over 20% of the rest doing 10/14's why would the chief want you to do 8's?

------------------
    Kevin M. Fitzhenry, bfdt2@fitzhenry.com
    Firefighter, Truck Co. 2
    City of Bayonne (NJ) FD
    www.bayonnenj.org/fire/

Bleve_30
    Firehouse.com Guest

Tens and fourteens work well for us. I like it because, for example, monday - 0800 to 1800, you have breakfast and dinner with the family, Tuesday - ditto, Wednesday you practically have the whole day off until you go to work at 1800 after having dinner with the family, Thursday - you are home in time for breakfast and stay home until after dinner and then Friday - your home for the day and off until next Tuesday.

In all fairness I have not worked the 24's and can not compare the two.

As far as the training aspect, our training officer works straight days, so during the week you get two days with him.

I would absolutely dread the prospect of having to work 8 hour shifts. It does not sound good.

Good luck with it.

BOMBERODAVE
    Firehouse.com Guest

we are also a combination department. we three shifts who work 24 on 24 off for three shifts days, when the shift has worked it's third day they then go to four days off. (joy!)
    if overtime personnel is needed four day breakers are called in.
    it works out pretty good for us.

Pump30
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our dept. also works 24 hr. shifts on the schedule of 3 on then 4 days off. Most people really like it. I previously worked a schedule of 5 on then 6 off. I like the 3-4 much better. On the 5-6 you're just whipped by your 4th and 5th days.

Da Sharkie
    Firehouse.com Guest

We work 24 hrs. on, 24 hrs. off, 24 hrs. on and 5 off. In an 8 week rotation it still works out to be 42 hours per week. We have 4 groups working this and so far it seems to be going very well. Just the option to pose to you.

By the way, this being my philosophy as to why should firefighters be asked to work a 56 or 72 hour work week when the trend nationwide for civilians to work is roughly 40 hours per week? This does not make sense to me. Why should I reduce the amount of time I spend with my family and friends?

Aerial 131
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

For the paid guys, go a Detroit 56, 24 on, 24 off for 6 days then 4 day off, 10 days per month on average, works great with little effort.

This will need a 3 shift requirement to work.

Zimm

Smoke286
    Firehouse.com Guest

24/72 cant be beaten. honest

F52 Westside
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Like BomberoDave our dept. works the 3 out of 5 then four days off. I love it and it works well for our combo. dept.

------------------
    Eddie C. - a.k.a - PTFD21
    Local 3008
    "Doin' it for lives n' property"

[This message has been edited by F52 Westside (edited 12-14-2000).]

HHoffman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

We are a federal department on a supply base. We work a 72 hour week. Thats 3 - 24 hour shifts per week. Our system is set up with 3 and 5 day breaks (Kelly days). Thanks to all the Union Brothers and Sisters that helped to get our pay system fixed. You don't want to work this system!

------------------
    Henry C. Hoffman Jr.

Firediver
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

We work a wierd shift, but we like it. We work 24 on, 24 off, for a block of 10 days (work 5 out 10 days), then off for 3, work 1, off for 4, work 1, then off 3. We start at 6pm to 6pm.

jcelebre
    Firehouse.com Guest

In wisconsin, almost all Departments work a 56 hr/week schedule. The two most popular schedules are the Chicago plan (24 on 48 off) and the California plan (24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 96 off). In talking with firefighters from around the state, I found that none working the Chicago plan would trade it for the California plan and they ones working the California plan would not trade for the other. I guess its what you become used to.

8 hr shifts leeds me to belive your chief is proposing a 40 hr week. Not a very effective way to staff a fire department. Somehow he has to cover the remaining 48 hrs per week. Another shift? Part timers? Regardless, not much bang for the taxpayer's buck.

I know one thing, after thirty years of working 24/48, I would never go to a 40 hr job.

jcelebre
    Firehouse.com Guest

In wisconsin, almost all Departments work a 56 hr/week schedule. The two most popular schedules are the Chicago plan (24 on 48 off) and the California plan (24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 96 off). In talking with firefighters from around the state, I found that none working the Chicago plan would trade it for the California plan and they ones working the California plan would not trade for the other. I guess its what you become used to.

8 hr shifts leeds me to belive your chief is proposing a 40 hr week. Not a very effective way to staff a fire department. Somehow he has to cover the remaining 48 hrs per week. Another shift? Part timers? Regardless, not much bang for the taxpayer's buck.

I know one thing, after thirty years of working 24/48, I would never go to a 40 hr job.

hosebeast
    Firehouse.com Guest

The dept that I work for does the 24/48 but I have friends that work for a dept that works 12hr shifts. They work three 12hr days or nights, depending whether you are on the 0700-1900 or 1900-0700 shift. The shifts are permanent in regards to what time you work. If you are on the 1900-0700 shift they do get to sleep. Then they have 3 full days off. This takes 4 shifts of people to do. Wish you the best!

Thread Information