Pump30
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Union Officer Compensation?

I am wondering how many Locals out there compensate their union officers? Which ones? How much? How many members? Do you feel it adds any accountability? Are more interested in serving?

FitzBFDT2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

We compensate our President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer.

President gets $7,500 plus phone, gas, etc.

Treasurer gets $1000

VP gets $500

Secretary gets $300

Our union represents about 150 firefighters. Yes I feel it adds to accountability. No, I don't feel more are interested in serving. The same guys who want to be involved are going to be involved while those who don't want to won't be involved.

------------------
    Kevin M. Fitzhenry, bfdt2@fitzhenry.com
    Firefighter, Truck Co. 2
    City of Bayonne (NJ) FD
    www.bayonnenj.org/fire/

Bleve_30
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Our Secretary-Treasurer (me) receives the total of his dues paid for the year. Traditionally it is split with the President even though it is not in our constitution to do so.

We are only an eleven man local and therefore there is not a lot of extra money, or for that matter, a lot of union business to keep on top of.

As far as more members interested on serving...I have to echo FitzBFDT2 on this one. There are just some members that are happy having someone else do the work.

Mike

HHoffman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

We are a small federal local of 26 members. Our officers do not get paid. I could just hear it at the meeting that this was put on the floor! I don't mean that you should not pay your officers, but it would never fly here.

------------------
    Henry C. Hoffman Jr.

snowball
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our prez gets $500 and the VP gets $250 But
    they dont' do it for the money. We have a 36
    member dept.

------------------
    ??? Did I say that ???

hfdfao
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I am the President of a 33 member local. Prior to being President I was Secretary for 7 years. We started compensating our E-board 3 or 4 years ago, and all get the same. $500 bucks. We also compensate our members when they provide coverage for union business. It works this way. $1 per week per member = $52. Each member gets $150 for working a shift. So we get rooughly 9 extra days a year(1/2 of our membership, it takes 3 years to = the $150.) Shifts are offered on a rotating basis, and the first list was based on seniority. Each member has the chance to earn their $150 back, and if they take a second shift they are in the plus.

As far as doing it for the money - no way. We can barely get enough guys interested in voting for the E-Board, let alone serving on it. I feel stongly that you should not be doing Union business for the money. It takes a certain type to put up with all the crap, to me the money just eases my wifes mind for all the phones calls and meetings and bitchin'.

Just my thoughts,

Dave LeBlanc
    President,
    Harwich Local 2124

Thread Information