NP73
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Distance From Fire Department

I live in a town population approximately 15,000 with two stations and 25 paid personnel with 6 paid on call.

My question is for firefighters in similar situations.

Are you allowed to live outside your city limits and if so,maximum distance you are allowed?

Da Sharkie
    Firehouse.com Guest

I work on a career department with 20 firefighters, 4 Captains and a Chief. We run out of one station as well.

By rule tehre is supposed to eb a 15 mile border to border radius from the town where you can live. This is good because there is no way in Hell anyone who has been appointed in the last few years to live in town or near it due to the high housing cost. We have guys who live even further away than I do, a 30 - 35 minute commute.

The town next to that gives their guys a 35 mile radius to live. They have guys who live near Boston who drive to work.

------------------
    I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it. You can't prove anything.

ArmyTruckCompany
    Firehouse.com Guest

I work for the US Government, DOD, US Army, Aberdeen Proving Ground, Md. I live in Philadelphia, Pa. Thanks to BRAC (which closed the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard) I now have a 75 mile (one way) commute. If I get out of the house early enough, takes me an hour and 15 minutes to get to work. There is no residency clause.

City of Philadelphia has a residency mandate- called the "Home Charter Rule".....to be a municipal employee of the city (cop, fireman, trashman...) you must live in the city for the duration of your employment.

------------------
    "Loyalty above all else, except honor."

Ed Shanks
    Firehouse.com Guest

Boardman Township FD has 30 full-time firefighters working 24/48 out of 3 stations and about 6 (currently) paid-on-call firefighters to protect 50,000 residents. Anyone hired after 1980 (when they recognized Civil Service) must live within township boundaries. You're not even allowed to live on the other side of the street where the streets are the boundaries!

------------------
    E-4-A
    IAFF 1176
    RKMC MAL

Hammerhead338
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

The city said that we have to live in a 5 mile radius of the city. If you have a special circumstance you can get a waver and live further out. You have 6 months after you are hired to meet these rules.

Have a good day and be safe.

Joe

Captain Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Massachusetts Civil Service law states that one has to reside within a 15 mile radius of the community that they work in. Other communities that are not part of the civil service system have a similar requirement. The 15 mile radius was set up to ensure a quick response for callbacks in the event for a major emergency. Some communities enforce it, others do not.

Some communities, such as the City of Boston now require that you reside in the city.

------------------
    And on the eighth day...God created Firefighters!
    Captain Gonzo

Kobersteen
    Firehouse.com Guest

To get hired in Houston, you must either be a paramedic or live within 100 miles of Houston City Hall. After being hired, you can live anywhere.

------------------
    Cheers,

Kobersteen
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    Houston Fire Department
    Webmaster - www.local341.org

Aerial 131
    Firehouse.com Guest

I work at the Hanford Nuclear Site and most of us have at least a 45 mile drive to work each day on. I know of two guys on shift that have a 2.5 and 2.0 hr drive each work day.

Zimm

Smoke286
    Firehouse.com Guest

The city passed that by-law about 6 years ago, 2 months ago they recinded it on legal advise,as it was illegal, but thats here in Canada

benson911
    Firehouse.com Guest

Barberton is like Capt. Gonzo's town - we have a 15 mile radius from city hall. It's not bad, the farthest guy is 25 minutes away, right at the edge of the 15 mile radius. The area reaches 5 counties and a variety of communities from urban city to rural farmland. You can choose to live any way you want within that radius. We are supposed to be able to accept a call-back, but those don't occur as often as they used to.

CFD14
    Firehouse.com Guest

Paid or volunteer, we have to live within four miles of the city limits.

Captain Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I should clarify our 15 mile radius..it goes from 15 air miles from the city lines, not road miles from city hall. It covers a lot of territory!

------------------
    And on the eighth day...God created Firefighters!
    Captain Gonzo

Bleve_30
    Firehouse.com Guest

We are a small department also, 11 members plus 20 POC. We need members living in close proximity as our auxiliary members do not drive the trucks or do interior attack.

Here you go, word for word from our contract...

12.04 Residence Out of the City

Seventy-five percent (75%) of the members of the Association shall live within a 2.5 mile/four (4) kilometer radius of the Fire Hall. The remaining twenty-five percent (25%) of the members of the Association shall live within a five (5) mile radius of the Fire Hall. The selection of which members may reside beyond the 2.5 mile/four (4) kilometer radius shall be made jointly by the Association and the Fire Chief.

Any member electing to live outside the (2.5) mile four (4) kilometer radius of the Fire Hall shall relinquish any preferential treatment to "call out" contained in the Collective Agreement.

Mike

goldennugget42
    Firehouse.com Guest

I work for a full-time dept. with 53 members that serve out of two stations. We currently have no residency restrictions. However, we are in contract negotiations right now and the city wants to put it back in the contract. This is something that we are fighting hard to keep out of the contract. Luckily, if it is put back in, we'll be grandfathered and only new hires will be forced to abide the residency rule.

PBFTRK33
    Firehouse.com Guest

Pittsburgh Bureau of Fire has 900 firefighters, covers 55 sq. miles with 35 stations. We all have to live within city limits at time of application and throughout employment.

Jim Crawford
    Pittsburgh Bureau of Fire
    Truck Company #33

SteamTrain
    Firehouse.com Guest

Yes, we are allowed to live outside our county line. Admin. Chiefs however are required to live within a 30 mile distance from our HQ. Personally, I plan to move to Tenn. (Cleveland) and continue working here. (Cobb Co. GA.) It will be about an 85 mile drive one way. Not too bad on the 24/48 tour. I gotta get out of this rat race called metro Atlanta.

------------------
    GOD is my Fire Chief, JESUS is my Incident Commander!

parisfireops
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

The state like federal doesn't have a distance clause. So I live about 45 miles from the station, it isn't bad on a 24/48 shift. On the vfd we have to live in the city limits.

fireman_387
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hey Steam Train, I like your Fire Chief and IC!!

benson911
    Firehouse.com Guest

I will also clarify, Barberton's 15 mile radius is a circle on a map with the middle being city hall. So, our 15 miles is "as the crow flies."

ffnbs
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

The State of Michigan just past a law last year giving all FULL TIME municipal employees a 20 mile radius from closest boundery of city.

AntiqueFireLt
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Here in our city FT firefighters must live in a mapped boundry which has changed for different people over the years. It starts as a circle but the distance from center changes at different points, the furthest being 9 miles as the crow flies.
    I'm still trying to figure out how it is we can be told where we can live when the only requirement is for me to show up to work on my scheduled days on time. No mandatory recall. They don't disallow the consumption of alcohol which renders us incapable of responsing off duty. They don't tell me I can't leave the radius. So if I'm not required to be capable of responding off duty then why should we be told where we can live?

This is the only opinion to have, if you're me. If not get your own, this ones mine.

WRENCH
    Firehouse.com Guest

In NJ Fire and Police are allowed to live anywhere in the state boundries by state law, altough they have tried to change it a few times. Other public employees can be restricted.In Civil Service towns you they can make you be a resident at testing and appointment time, after that you can move.

Thread Information