Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    zxcvb5
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking Working 48 Hour shifts

Are there any Departments current working 48 hours Shift. If so what is the schedule that you work (Ex. 48 hrs on and 96 hrs off)

Thanks in advance for your replies

[This message has been edited by zxcvb5 (edited 01-30-2001).]

HHoffman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

That seems like a long time to be on duty even in a slow station. As a federal firefighter we work a 72 hour work week. Thats 24 on 24 off with a drop day. I don't think I would like 48 hour shifts.

firecat1524
    Firehouse.com Guest

I once applied at a department here in SC that worked a 48 on/48 off shift. I think the main thing that cost me the job (besides practically laughing at the starting pay) was the comment about how effective the crew was supposed to be on the second day if they ran their behinds off the first day.

Smoke286
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have been told that regulations here, either provincial or federal prohibit working longer then 36 hours strait, not sure if thats accurate or not

WTFD730
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

We cannot work longer than a 24 hr. shift, due to longer shifts are against the FLSA.
    Anyway after my 24 shift and being up most the night I probably would not be worth much on that 2nd day. I'm ready to get out of there at the end of the shift.

dfwscotty
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

Hey WTFD, just a quick question about your post. We are in the process to converting to a 24/48. If FLSA does not allow you to work the long shift, how do you handle people working overtime or shift trades? Split the shift?

dr inferno
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smoke 286 : I believe that the fire prevention and protecton act states that the maximum shift you can work is a 24 hour period that must be followed with a minimum of 24 hours off afterwards.

4iron
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

>dr inferno,We are allowed to work 48's in trading.When you work 24on/48off(=56hrs/week),our trading policy allows for "outright"trades,a guy works a day for me,I pay him back a day.That gives me 5 days off(W-O-O-O-O-O-W),but when I pay him back,I work a 48(W-O-W-W-O-O-W).It can be a real grind to do a 48,especially when you're busy the first night.But the 5 off is pretty nice too.

dr inferno
    Firehouse.com Guest

4 Iron: I think smoke 286 is a Canadian brother (talking provinces) so thats Canadian legislation sorry for not saying that in my first post. We only work 10 and 14 but get a minimum of 4 off after each tour. I know what you mean about the pretty nice part though

nsfirechap
    Firehouse.com Guest

I worked 48 on/48 off in Italy on an Air Force Deployment supporting the Bosnia Peace Keeping Operation. Granted we were a slow department as far as runs go. Don't know how I would have liked it if we were really busy. Never did like the 72 hour week 24/24 with a kellt day every two weeks I worked while in the Air Force.

KGM
    Firehouse.com Guest

Here in New Mexico there are several dept. that work the 48 on 96 off shifts. Our Dept. is 24 on 48 off but the debate is on about switching to 48/96. I haven't decided if I would like it or not. I would like to here from people doing the 48/96.

KGM

Brian Dunlap
    Firehouse.com Guest

I Once worked with a department that did 24 on and 48 Off for the Full Timers....I Was a per-diem that worked on an as needed basis but by the end of a 24 I was ready to go home --- 48 on is way too long even doing a job we all love --- You need the Rest and time with the family

knappsk
    Firehouse.com Guest

My department in St. Louis County works the shift of W-O-W-O-W-4 days off, which is great, and we can work 48's for OT or trade. Very rarely they let you work a 60 or 72 hour shift (pretty busy metro dept.) Saw a captain work 5 days in a row due to major trades for vacation, he was a zombie by day 4, sat in the corner and mumbled to himself! As always with the FD, "rules subject to change to benefit those who are changing the rules".

E11Hooligan
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

I work for a combination department in South Carolina, and we work 24on/48off. We can work a maximum of 36 hrs straight, in normal conditions. During the last hurricane we had most of us worked 60 hrs straight before we got to go home and that stunk. I know personally we were busy and I only slept about 10 hrs(yes I may be whining)and I poured myself out of my truck at the house and into bed. Then I had a day off before we went to a 24on/24off schedule for a month after because of the floods so I hope people do not have to work 48 straight on a regular basis.

Thread Information