Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    feelin down uptown
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

hey nozzle hog if you can believe it the guy in pg was sitting behind few in his confirmation hearings DID EVERYONE ON THE JOB FILL OUT THE SIZE FORM FOR YOUR SLEEP WEAR????? I HAD A LOT OF FUN FILLING MINE OUT

TruckCapn
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

It's a shame to see such a traditional fire department like the DC department having these problems. Most of the surrounding juristictions around the district are having the same problems.(Staffing, Pay Raises, Promotional Problems, and hiring problems) Maybe the answer to some of the man-power issues,the staffing problems, and the overtime issues would be for the District of Columbia to start a volunteer fire department. Trained persons, like so many of Local 36's members, would be more than willing to spend some of there spare time to ride fire apparatus for free. The experience would be great. Doing this would cut down on overtime expenditures, relieve staffing shortfalls, and even solve some promotional problems as some of the equally trained VOLUNTEERS would be able to ride in the officers position, and the Chiefs position. Many of the surrounding juristictions are extremely lucky to have an abundance of Local 36 (DC Fire Department Local) members to fill similiar roles. Career Firefighters from DC have no trouble being line officers, wagon drivers, and chief officers on there days off. Some are even so dedicated that they live in local fire houses. I applaude the dedication of these Union Brothers, and look forward to the time when I can spend some of my free time to assist them in there time of need. I will be looking forward to being a DCFD VOLUNTEER!!!!!!

sefireman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Remeber Chief Few is taking calls live on the air tommorrow at 1000 on WTOP. Everyone tune in and listen to the spin.

DisgruntledFireman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

Ok, I am currently listening to the "fire chief" on WTOP. One word.....EMBARRASSING!!!

dcfirefighter
    Firehouse.com Guest

What did Chief few try to say?

Also--- truckcapn--
    dont give Chief Few any ideas, He may try something else that will never work.All he needs to do is look at other FDs and see how messed up it could be. There are to many problems associated with Carrer & Vols that we dont need. Just look at PG county

ESmith
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

Wow, They you let you guys ride the fire trucks, out in the county.
    Maybe it should be Amb Capn.
    We have good fireman detailed to the ambulances right now and could use some relief.
    Any help would be appreciated it.

Ed Smith

Jake295885
    Firehouse.com Guest

Had a chance to listen to Chief FEW on wtop, The only thing I can say is WOW.....The man is the Fire Chief of the Nations capitol and can't speak proper english..

Hold on to your hats my brothers of DCFD, the fix is in. Any mayor who'd hire him has something else in mind for the fire dept. Perhaps some drastic cuts, or maybe as another Chief from Georgia pulled off, a total anti-tradition concept such as QUINTS..................

Trk6DCFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

I've heard from a good source that Fearless Few and Garland ordered the Deputy on #4 to drive over to Ronald Regan Airport in Va. Sunday night to pick them up from there "weekend" getaway to Georgia. According to the Order Book it's illegal to do that. Didn't 2 people on a ambulance get fired for something like that last year. It's amazing how he abuses his position.

DC Bad Boy
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

Hey TruckCapn

It seems to me you 1619 guys have more things to worry about than a few guys volunteering. How about what's going on with the recent new hires and your county exec? Did your fire chief really stand up to curry or was that just a smoke screen to protect his election bid for the IAFC? What's the scoop? By the way, how many of your guys work part time for union painters, roofers, carpenters etc. or are they just taking bread off someone else's table...

Trk6DCFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

News Flash...In this weeks "City Paper" under News of the Weird, "EMS technicians, unable to discern Northeast from Nortwest, arrive too late at the scene of a stabbing and the victim dies, leaving the fire chief to scratch his head and mumble something about damn coincidences". "The late arrival completely baffles LL(Loose Lips), because recent news reports indicate that fire/EMS vehicles have received 241 citations over slightly more than a year for running red lights-which must mean that, even if they are going the wrong way, they were at least getting there fast".

DCFD1051
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hey TruckCapt and ESmith,

This is not the PG County thread - keep that volly vs. career sh*t over there. We are discussing the DCFD here. DO NOT let this thread sink to the low levels that the PG threads have. We are supposed to be professionals - let's act like one!!!!

FireLt1951
    Firehouse.com Guest

To all the firefighters in D.C. Go get em and never let up.The best defense is a good offense.Attack now and show what a loser this guy is.Again I wish you all the best from Detroit and the members of L-344.

Tentruck
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

Well hey guys, here is a question for you DC Firefighters and I hope someone answers me. Here I am, wanted to be a city firefighter for as long as I can possibly remember, ended up goin to U of M took DC's test and probably going to be in the next class ranked in the low 20's as we speak. I currently work in a Combination Department that doesn't even hold a candle to a city environment as far as runs etc.... But watching over the last two years with the Chiefs changing and now with all I hear around and on this forum, tell me is this a job I want to come on? I think it is, but I hear a lot of pain from you guys and wonder what to do sometimes. There has got to be a lot of positive things that happen in that Fire Department....Right? Give me your opinion, I really do want to go to the City, especially your City!!!!

SUPER WONDER DAWG
    Firehouse.com Guest

Well I have almost 20 years on the job I have seen it go from the best to bad and now even worse! If you scored in the top 20's you should have already been hired. Since the last entrance exam I think 3 rookie classes have come out. But to answer your question HELL YES YOU SHOULD TAKE THE JOB. It may be low as far as morale goes but it still is one of the best damn fire departments in the country. Good luck with your decision. And to the rest of the guys on the job WHERE IS MY PJ'S

15hoseman
    Firehouse.com Guest

I was sorely dissappointed to find out that my issued PJs will not be coming with footsies or a dump hatch. But other than that they are obviously a vital step as we move forward in becoming a more excellent dupartment while we suppy more excellent customer service this physical year.

SUPER WONDER DAWG
    Firehouse.com Guest

15HOSEMAN AMEN
    PJ'S CUSTOMER SERVICE NEW HELMETS AND NO DIRECTION ISN'T THIS A GREAT DEPARTMENT

NE DCFIREMAN
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

SCOOBY DOOBY FEEEEEWWWWW!

[This message has been edited by NE DCFIREMAN (edited 03-10-2001).]

sefireman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Take the job, the guys you work with everyday are the best, just like any where we do have management issues. And remember the fire chief is working on the incenatives.

FireLt1951
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'm not with FDDC but with Detroit.If you have the chance, take the job. There's nothing better than working an urban city where you learn more in 1 year than 10 in a suburban or rural dept.We've had the same and sometimes more serious problems than the FDDC,but it's a bunch of great firefighters there.Hope to see everyone at the baseball tournament.

DisgruntledFireman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

Hey, but if YOU were trapped in a house fire, wouldn't you want to be trapped in a house fire in DC (you know, it's the best FD in the Nation's Capital!!!)

Thread Information