Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    15hoseman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Rumor Control Hotline: "What's this I hear about city council moving to create third service EMS?"

FIREMANPPB
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

" Enough is Enough "
    If the Deputy Mayor wants to hear my thoughts on the money owed to me ( 414 ), I will give the Deputy Mayor an earful.

I hope all members feel the same way.

The union hall should be packed in the same way as it was when the RIF's were on the table ( '95 ) or when the Promotion system was being voted on ('89).

"Enough IS Enough "

See you on Monday

sefireman
    Firehouse.com Guest

I believe Councilwoman Swartz introduced the 3rd Service EMS bill again last year. It is the same bill she introduced in 1999 that died in committee. Interesting thought about the 3rd service, how would it affect funding if it was implemented?

15hoseman
    Firehouse.com Guest

There are some who think that it would hurt our funding.

I personally think it would be a good thing for us. Despite what they tell you, we are NOT making money on EMS. Right down the road in Richmond (similar demographics to us, just smaller) they have a very efficient EMS system, and they still require a subsidy to stay in the black. They are required, by contract, to get a medic unit on the scene wihtin 7:59 of dispatch...or they give money back to the city, something like $10 a minute, just to keep them honest.

So if we had third service EMS...no more waiting for Ambos and no more details to the Ambo. Also on the plus side, whoever got the contract would set up their own comm center, so we'd probably stop being sent on 3 day old stomach aches.

If you really want to know more look at http://www.napum.com/ and click on Info&Research

NE DCFIREMAN
    Firehouse.com Guest

The most important thing is to stick together through all of this. Together we have made it through past depressing issues and other fire chiefs that just wanted to flex to show everyone they were chief because no one believed in them. Together we will send this chief on his way and prepare ourselves for the next one.

DCFD1051
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hey Brothers, check this out-

FDNY just went to new $10 million digital radio system for fireground opertations last week (utilizing the same type of motorola portables as we just got). A few days a go, a trapped firefighter called in a mayday and was never heard by anyone on the fireground. Fortunately, he survived. As a result, management made the correct call in response to this problem and is pulling these new radios and going back to their old Saber portables until the bugs can be worked out of the new system. Apparently, the safety of their members is a high priority!

We have a $5 million dollar system which sometimes prevents EVERYONE on the fireground from being heard. What is OUR managements solution to this problem? Take away the speaker mikes so that no one can talk or be heard!

When will the stupidity end? Can't the mangement of this job do ANYTHING right?

FF E5
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'm sorry to here what is going on in the BEST fire department in the world!! Grew up outside DC and still have friends there. You guys are the best! I hate to see Screwy Fewy messing up another department! He left Augusta a mess and they were glad to be rid of him, well except his "good ole boys" that he appears to be bringing with him.Good luck and stay United.He won't know how to deal with you then.Keep looking into his past practices at Augusta, maybe they will actually find something to charge him with!

Seagrave52
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

It is certainly amazing to read and hear all the major issues that seem not to be on the mind of Chief Few Clues... I really think he is headed to being remembered for some of the fine acts his noted predecessors are know for. Such as: the past Chief who picked up his plate and licked it, while sitting at the head table of a black tie event. Or the past Chief who ordered the snow shoveled off the lawn into the street. Hmmm, was that the same chief who, while enroute to the Air Florida crash, called headquarters and asked how to get to the 14th street bridge from The SE/SW freeway?
    It is a good thing that DCFD is so rich in tradition. How else could they survive the idiots that have been picked to lead them ( with exception of a few good Chiefs, not to include the current one ) over the past 25 or 30 years I've been in the Metro area. It doesn't matter if an individual works for a department in Northern Virginia or Maryland. No matter how recognized some of the departments in the Metro area want to be. It still gets down to the fact that DCFD "IS" the department everyone wishes they could or could have worked for at one time or another. They are recognized as THE department who catches the most fire, while there are some good firefighters on all the departments in the area, and I have no desire to take away from brothers and sisters who work for these departments, DC is known for some of the most agressive firefighters in the area.

As I have seen posted before in this forum... hang in there and this idiot, too Few, will be gone.

huntere6
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

EMS and a cutting edge Fire Chief. Can we afford to let these two dismantle the D.C. Fire Dept?
    For years now I've listen to people spew talk about how the fire department needs to be more EMS oriented, like weíre not already. ďYou guys don't run that much fire anymore, you run more EMS calls than fire calls, EMS is the Fire Departments bread and butter, thatís where the money isĒ, and so on. Well I'm here to deliver some plain, simple straight and politically incorrect talk. Itís my opinion and Iím entitled to it. It is important to remind the Fire Chief and those of us who may have forgotten, that our First Amendment right guarantees freedom of thought and expression. In a free society, unfortunate as it might be to the politically correct left wing Fire Department, we are still free to speak our mind without fear of retribution, ainít that right Wally?

It's true that we don't run the fires we use to and yes our EMS calls make up probably 75-80% of our runs. Maybe greater depending on which engine company youíre at, but ask yourself this question, why have the line of duty deaths through out the nation, steadily increased over the last 20 years if we are running less fires? Why has property loss due to fire not decreased if we are running fewer fires? Why does it seem that the routine room and contents fire is not so routine anymore and generally turns into a 2nd alarm assignment? I can tell you why; the powers to be are rationalizing that because we don't run the fires we use to, we need to keep busy doing other things like running up and down the street picking up drunk customers and attend diversity and sensitivity training. Itís not about the quality of service anymore; itís about quantity/productivity and being politically correct. A jack of all trades and master of none, if you will. Just a little note to the Fire Chief and others that embrace these classes about the effectiveness of the customer service/ culturally diverse/sensitivity indoctrination classes, they donít work. If a grown man or woman ainít learned manners by the time they get on this job, they arenít going to. You treat people the way you want to be treated, with respect. If you canít grasp this concept, hit the bricks, end of story.

Back to the other things. Just because fires may only make up 25 to 30 % of a jurisdictions runs, does this automatically infer that those fires are less significant? Do we not prepare for them? We are in the business of saving lives. What has the greater life safety risk, the one medical local, ďMy head hurts I want go to the hospitalĒ. Or the rooming house or apartment fire with 10 to 100 lives at stake, not to mention firefighter lives? Because we donít run the same amount of fire calls does this make them less important? Letís be realistic, 90% of our medical locals are trifling calls. Iím not advocating taking engines off all medical locals, just the low priority ones. Assign an engine or TRUCK on a high priority call, a call that we can actually be of some assistance and make a difference in. Donít assign an engine on a medical local just for the sake of making your response times look good. This mind set serves no purpose or benefit to the customer. The numbers game is a big lie to the public and thatís not good customer service.

A fireman is still expected to crawl down that hallway, find trapped customers or other fireman, of which seems to be more the case today, and put the fire out. However we donít run the fire like we use to. We donít train like we use to. How on earth are we suppose to remain proficient at a task if we donít prepare for it? The technology and equipment is state of the art today but the job is actually more dangerous because we are either not prepared mentally to do the job or we are engaged in some other customer service initiative and not available to go in service. We divide our time and attention doing so called customer service things and yet we expect our guys to be as proficient at putting fires out, as they were 20 years ago. To add insult to injury, when the opportunity to fight a fire does present itself to the firefighting crew, itís missed out on because they are either sitting at a customer service indoctrination class or holding the hand of the local drunkard. This has the effect of a double-edged sword. They are missed opportunities to gain valuable experience, missed opportunities that may not be repeated for months, some places years. And it depletes what little morale you may have left in your company. The fire service today does not care to generate good plain, aggressive fireman. They want paramedic/emt/child safety seat technician/culturally diverse/sensitive firefighters. Being a knowledgeable aggressive fire fighter is looked down on in todayís fireservice. Big city fire departments have started buying into this customer service nonsense from a so-called fire chief from the desert. Lets face it, like my wife has always said, ďFireman ainít right in the headĒ. I came to this realization one day on my first basement fire.

As I was preparing to go in, a rat was coming out. A rational thinking man will not place himself in an environment that a rodent wonít even tolerate.

You have to be aggressive and half-stupid to be in our line of work, if not you can forget about making any interior rescues or limiting property loss. If you want to compromise these principles of aggressive firefighting youíll have to wait for the seat of the fire to impinge through the roof so you can put the wet stuff on the red stuff. Then look at your customer and say, ďI respect your loss and I feel your pain, Iíve been to sensitivity training todayĒ. And if your customer is not at a window within ladder reach oh well one dead customer. Howís that for customer service initiative?

Last night about 2am we ran a trouble breathing call. The engine and the ambulance left the firehouse together. While waiting at the front door for our medical local customer, I turned and gazed at the street. There in a perfect line sat a $300,000 fire truck with 4 men, an ambulance 2 men, a rapid response paramedic vehicle 2 men, and a suburban with a so called supervisor with 2 men, actually 1 man, 1 woman. Almost half million dollars worth of equipment and 10 men lined up on the street illuminating the early morning sky. Our medical local customer greeted us at the door; he knew the routine, walked right by me and hoped in the ambulance. I stood there looking at this spectacle of equipment and manpower and slowly turned and stared at Howard Hospital 2 blocks away. It all makes sense if you donít think about it. I truly try not to think about a lot of things here lately. I am perfectly content on being a dumb lieutenant the rest of my career. Where are my PJís?

NozzleHog
    Firehouse.com Guest

huntere6:

That was truly beautiful, Lieu. Almost brought a tear to my eye. In the whole time I've been reading these forums, I don't think anyone has quite hit the nail on the head that well.
    D@mn it's nice to know there are still a few of us politically incorrect, old school firemen around!

FIREMANPPB
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

" A tale of a happy customer and good service OR just another stupid medical local"

A man falls down INSIDE his car that is parked some 75-100 feet from the front doors of a inner city Hospital's ER , He calls 911 to ask for help.
    To his call comes a Fire Engine and a Medic Unit.
    As we approach the car , a security guard from the hospital sees us and NOW THINKS to bring out a wheelchair and wheels the customer into the ER.

A happy Customer and good service or just another stupid Medical local?

we having fun Yet ?

sidney251
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

Check out WWW.DCFD.COM, and check out the DCFD NEWS. I love the site. Great photos.
    sid

[This message has been edited by sidney251 (edited 04-03-2001).]

[This message has been edited by sidney251 (edited 04-04-2001).]

FireLt1951
    Firehouse.com Guest

Huntere6, good post Lt. I hope and pray this guy doesn't take you down the same path Detroits present and past administration has gone. Hold on and fight them with all you have. Wish you all the best and continue doing what you do best.

DCFD1051
    Firehouse.com Guest

Sid,

Don't be so gullable - rumors like that are started every day just to see how far they get. A limited number of helmets were ordered because that's all they could afford out of the current budget. They will most likely be issued to probationers first, and then to the rest of the department as more are purchased. As for your comments on the gupster's website, I agree - he should not be airing our dirty pajamas, er, I mean , laundry, in public!

Trk6DCFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Huntere6, you sum-up how I feel, totally. So far since Chief Few made his apperance I've spent over 8 hrs in the Training Academy. ALL of it has been either "Customer Service" or the "Trya Hunter Diversification" class. I've spent No hrs training on anything else. I do spend time reading manuals, the internet etc. But we are losing track of what we do because of Few. He seems to be taking the Kenndy St, Cherry Rd., and the TRI Data reports and throwing them in the bumpster.All of these are critical of the FD for safety violations, no training, etc.Which lead to 4 of our friends and brothers in arms passing away.
    As far as the helmets go the latest rumor was that it is a 3 part program. But we are not supposed to get any until enough is purchased for all Fire and EMS personal. The biggest hold up now is the cost factor. There is no money left in the FY2001 budget so it looks like it we be put on hold until the FY2002 budget in Oct.

Trk6DCFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Huntere6, you sum-up how I feel, totally. So far since Chief Few made his apperance I've spent over 8 hrs in the Training Academy. ALL of it has been either "Customer Service" or the "Trya Hunter Diversification" class. I've spent No hrs training on anything else. I do spend time reading manuals, the internet etc. But we are losing track of what we do because of Few. He seems to be taking the Kenndy St, Cherry Rd., and the TRI Data reports and throwing them in the bumpster.All of these are critical of the FD for safety violations, no training, etc.Which lead to 4 of our friends and brothers in arms passing away.
    As far as the helmets go the latest rumor was that it is a 3 part program. But we are not supposed to get any until enough is purchased for all Fire and EMS personal. The biggest hold up now is the cost factor. There is no money left in the FY2001 budget so it looks like it we be put on hold until the FY2002 budget in Oct.

Trk6DCFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

By the way, where in the HELL are my pajama's I'm getting tired of sleeping naked!!!!

FireLt1951
    Firehouse.com Guest

To all my brother and sister firefighters in D.C. If you ever decide to hold a public protest against the administration let me know. I'll bring down at least 75-100 firefighters from Detroit to help get your point across to an administration that would dare to try and tear down an excellent department. Hold fast and hold your heads high. You deserve more respect than these people are giving you.

wanttobeinDC
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

I wish that someone could please help me.
    It has been my dream to be a DC Fireman.
    I took the test in Sept.1998 and on that
    day my nerves were so shoot that I did not
    score so high, I only scored in the 440's.
    This month I turned 31 years old and I can't
    apply for the job anymore. For the past year
    or so I have seen all my friends go through
    the DC Fire School and my heart gets torn to
    pieces that I can't be there. The only thing
    I have to look forward to is the few times I
    get to ride downtown with E19.
    I try to get info from the DCOP but they
    won't tell me anything. Does anybody know
    if they are going to have another agility
    test off of this list, or if they plan to
    hire anymore? PLEASE let me know something,
    anything at all, this waiting is killing me.
    It is painful to want something so bad and
    not being able to get it.
    Thank you for your time and I hope to hear
    from someone.
    PS: A big CONGRATULATIONS to "tentruck"
    for getting hired.I wish you all the
    luck in the world !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sidney251
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

Keep up the good work Guppy. The website is great.

[This message has been edited by sidney251 (edited 04-03-2001).]

Thread Information