+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 First ... 23456 Last
    15hoseman
    Firehouse.com Guest

What's up with 24 Engine and the MPD?

TaskForceAlarm
    Firehouse.com Guest

From what I heard the cops wanted E24 to move because of a bunch of protesters(not affiliated with the WB IMF people). When the driver told MPD he couldn't move the wagon because he was ordered to park it there by his OIC the police officer had a fit. I guess thats what happens when you get inner city thugs to trade in their Tech-9's for Glock 17's and a badge.

Double_Local
    Firehouse.com Guest

I thought you all might get a kick out of this... http://www.dcwatch.com/govern/fire000601b.htm

NEFireater
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I wonder if "The Chief" will wear his dress uniform for the dedication ceremony at E6 or will he go and buy a new suit like he did for the last recruit class graduation? Things that make you go hmmm.

FireLt1951
    Firehouse.com Guest

Good luck DCFD

[This message has been edited by FireLt1951 (edited 05-21-2001).]

FireLt1951
    Firehouse.com Guest

Sorry, couldn't get picture through

[This message has been edited by FireLt1951 (edited 05-21-2001).]

sidney251
    Firehouse.com Guest

Anyone have any comment on the dedication of Engine 6 the other day? Could not attend.

sid

NozzleHog
    Firehouse.com Guest

Haven't heard much from DCFD lately, what's new?
    Did you guys ever get issued those PJ's?
    What ever became of the hair/beard issue?
    Any more developments with the new Chief or is keeping a low profile?

mfdplugugly
    Firehouse.com Guest

I am a firefighter/paramedic and was told that DCFD is revamping its system somewhat and is hiring paramedics to be put through fire school and be placed on paramedic engines. Is there any truth to that? If so, let me know because even though there may be some internal problems, speaking from the outside, DCFD is still THE department to be on and I would do anything to be a part of it. (ps. Sorry nozzlehog)
    [This message has been edited by mfdplugugly (edited 05-28-2001).]

[This message has been edited by mfdplugugly (edited 05-28-2001).]

NozzleHog
    Firehouse.com Guest

DC FEMS? Hahahahahaha!! No offense, but did you read that before posting? LMAO!

mfdplugugly
    Firehouse.com Guest

Sorry Nozzlehog, I stand corrected and edited my blunder. Is DCFD making a push to place dual role firefighters/paramedics on the engine companies, or is that just a rumor?

NozzleHog
    Firehouse.com Guest

MFD:
    Last I heard they had several "Paramedic Engines" that have a paramedic and ALS equipment on board. I believe the medics have fire training but are not used for suppression operations, so essentially the engine is a means to get ALS on the scene of medic locals faster. (The old ambulance bureau used to have some horrendous response times.)
    I am by no means an authority on DCFD so I can't guarantee my info. Maybe someone on here can help you or else take a look at dcfd.com. Try e-mailing the webmaster, maybe.
    I think DCFD is still a very good job to work on, at least the on fire side. They seem to hire pretty regularly too. Best of luck to you.

[This message has been edited by NozzleHog (edited 05-29-2001).]

DCFD1051
    Firehouse.com Guest

There is currently a bill pending before the DC Council which will essentially allow current DCFD civillian EMT's and paramenics to take the physical abilities test and medical exam. Upon sucessful completion of these test, they will be admitted to the training academay as probationary firefighters. However, they will retain their current salary rate, whatever that may be. Their retirment contributions from their current system will be "rolled over" into the police and firefighters pension system (too complicated to explain here!). If you want to take advantage of this "backdoor" way into the DCFD, you need to get hired as a civilian paramedic first. I saw a job announcement just a few months ago for that position, but I'm not sure if they are still hiring. Like Nozzle Hog said, check out DCFD.com for more info or links to the personnel office.

FIREMANPPB
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

FYI to all the Members of the DCFD

The DC Retirement board Voted that the Death of FF Costello Robinson E-2 DCFD was
    NON LINE OF DUTY

This info came from the Local 36 board of directors minutes for this month.

For all outsiders
    FF Robinson died in the hospital from the complications of being attacked and biten by a dog while on a alarm.
    FF Robinson had over 35 yrs service to the DCFD.
    This decision by the DCRB makes Mrs Robinson and her son unable to recieve the Federal Death Benefits for Fallen Firefighters.

Anyone who knew FF Robinson, KNOWS that his family DESERVES better treatment than this
    " SLAP IN THE FACE " .

WE should be SHOUTING FROM THE ROOFTOPS over this ruling !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"This ruling is WRONG"

hfdfao
    Firehouse.com Guest

I remember reading about this, correct me if I am wrong. He responded to a call on a DCFD fire truck, his dismounted the truck when he arrived a the call, he was attacked by the dog while in the performance of his duties.............Sounds like LOD to me.

What a bunch of crap!

When are the chair warming, monday morning quarterbacks gonna give up on trying to screw the brothers. My thoughts are with you DCFD and also with the Robinson family.

FTM-PTB

------------------
    May your vents be leeward, your searches be negative, and your overhaul complete......

[This message has been edited by hfdfao (edited 05-29-2001).]

spo0k
    Firehouse.com Guest

That is just rediculously out of hand. I think it might be time for a blue flu..

------------------
    FF. Mike Burnes
    Whitehall Fire Division

Captain Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

Local 36 and the family of Firefighter Costello Robinson should be taking the DC retirement board to court over this matter.

The way I see it...
    He was on duty.
    He responded to a call.
    He was attacked by a dog while at that call.
    He had complications as a result of the dog bite, which happened when he was on duty with the DCFD.

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck.

If he's on duty and is injured while performing his duty and dies from that injury, it's a LODD.

Where does Chief Few stand on this matter...or is he kowtowing to the retirement board?

------------------
    Firefighters: Today's heroes protecting everyone's tomorrows!
    Captain Gonzo

NozzleHog
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

"F/F Robinson had 35 years on the job."
    I remember hearing at the time that he was the senior firefighter on the whole job. And this is how DC rewards a lifetime of dedicated service? This is as bad as Keokuk, Iowa, the town that will always be remembered for refusing to pay for LODD funeral expenses for two of our fallen brothers. What a travesty of justice.

Where does Chief Few stand on this issue? What about Local 36? Maybe they could put defending guys with waist length hair on the back burner to address this real issue. Now would be a real good time for some leadership from both the Chief and the Union.

Lt4LifeInDCFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

The latest news from the Senior Officers' Staff Meeting of 6/1/01: It seems that the Dept. is facing a projected $1.7 million deficit (but we have monies for sleepwear, helmets, remodeling of the Chief's office, etc.). The Chosen Few has released 13 orders to deal with the deficit, mostly dealing with reassignment of personnel from administrative positions back to Firefighting Division or EMS. But here is the worst news: The "Chief" is ordering the release of the rookies in the Training Academy to be effective on 6-10-01. That means that they will have completed only 9 of the 22 weeks of class, 1 of which was orientation and 5 of EMT. That means they only have 3 out of 16 weeks of firefighting! The Training Academy had no heads-up about this so it isn't like they had time to create an accelerated class; just the first 3 weeks and out into the Companies. To top it all off, the Chosen Few has issued an order that each Company perform 4 Fire Prevention Inspections PER DAY, EACH DAY, until the end of the fiscal year (Sept. 30) in order to "allow this Department's performance goal for building inspections to be met". Nice priorities, huh? So much for having time to train the untrained rookies. Evidently, his building inspection goal is more important to him than the training and safety of the new probationers! Chief's Order or not, I'll spend as many hours a day training a rookie (who should have been trained at the Academy) so that I'm comfortable with the fact that they have a chance of survival on this job. TO HELL WITH HIS BUILDING INSPECTION'S PERFORMANCE GOAL!!

FireLt1951
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lt4lifeDCFD,

WOW and I thought we had it bad. This guy needs to get his head out of his as@ and make the Fire Prevention Division do its own job. You have one hell of a job on your hands now. Tell him that all of you need to get paid extra for being a replacement for the training academy instructors. How are these new recruits going to be certified without finishing the academy? Sounds like OJT is back huh.

FireLt1951
    Firehouse.com Guest

Sorry can't get the picture through.

[This message has been edited by FireLt1951 (edited 06-04-2001).]

NE DCFIREMAN
    Firehouse.com Guest

I was at the training academy yesterday and the rookies had just found out they all are going to ambulances till October. That sucks, but at least they have jobs!

Snoopy00013
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

Back in the old days you didn't even have to be bitten by a dog while on a call to get LODD benifits. If you had a heart attack int he bunkroom it was considered LODD. Costello's death may not have been as tragic as Carter's,Matthews and Phillips's but it still ended with the same result. Every FF on the job should stick up fot this guy!! The next tour back it could be you, and wouldn't you want your fellow FFs to stand up for you and take care of your family!

Fireman4DC
    Firehouse.com Guest

Here is a question...I look at the dcfd.com website and I can't believe how well it presents our department. I don't know Guppy very well because he rarely comes into our station, but I think he has done a great job building the site. We should all be proud to have a site that shows so well of our Department. Hats off to dcfd.com

McGyver
    Firehouse.com Guest

That not being a LODD is crazy!

If you slip and fall on a wet apparatus room floor while bringing in the groceries, or cut yourself peeling potatos, it's an on duty injury.....

There HAS to be a legal precident out there somewhere.....Doesn't your local have a lawyer they can consult?
    His wife and kids are really gettin' screwed!

You can get a couple million for holdin' a HOT cup of McDonalds coffee between your legs, and spillin' it though.....

My heart goes out to them.....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 First ... 23456 Last

Thread Information