Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Fireman4DC
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

Hey Sid,
    You may want to consider aiming your anger in a different direction. I think the non-members who are running the "DCFD.COM" website are during a spectacular job of spotlighting our troubled department. I here lots of good things on a regular basis about the site. I know Gup very well, and I don't think he is slinging any dirty laundry. The articles posted on the site are public news and can be found on all local news stations. As for the Radio he carries, I don't know where he got it, but I don't believe its yours. Maybe these forums you participate in on a regular basis create dirty laundry....Chill buddy

Lt.Todd
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

The post on this subject are great and deserve some attention, however I just saw on the main page that firefighters are rasing hell now about beards and hair policies.

DC firefighters; choose your battles wisely. Hair down to your waist or a beard past the bottom of your chin? I can see the Chiefs points on this issue. Safety is by far the most important issue here and I think hair longer then my wife's looks very unprofessional! Fight the fights worth battiling on, this one is a waist of time!

Serve with pride!!!!!!!

sidney251
    Firehouse.com Guest

I mistakenly left my account signed on (several times)at a community computer. I have gone back and edited the posts that were in question. I apologize to all for the error in judgement I used in allowing others the opportunity to access my acount.

Stay safe all.
    Sid

And Guppy Definitely keep up the good work. I have told you on several occasions how much I enjoy your site.

Tentruck
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hey WantabeinDC, I feel your pain brother, I was chompin at the bit as well. As far as the list, I have no idea, if you look at DCFD.com under Employment, it says that they were going to give a test in September, but due to the large amount of qualified applicants they may hold off? I am pretty sure they are in the 300's somewhere right now, so you may still have a shot, I certainly wish you all the luck in the world in capturing your dream, and thanks for the well wishes on my new career. I couldn't be happier.

15hoseman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Here's a little factoid for you guys:

for the 5 years 1996-2000, the MPD has averaged 3000 officers, and had 7 LODDs.

This is 7 LODD / (3000*5) = .467 LODD per 1000 man-years.

The DCFD has had approximately 1200 F/Fs and 4 LODD

4 / (1200 *5) = .667 LODD per 1000 man-years.

So how does it feel to be 1.43x more likely to die doing your job, and be paid what 8-30% less?

R1SmokeEater
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

To huntere6: I hadn't had a chance to reply quickly, but I must say your post (about EMS..) was the best one I have read in a while!! I have a feeling many of us feel the same! Keep up the good work, and don't let the new "chief" ruin a top notch department!!

NEFireater
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

Well..Lt. summed it up well for all of us. I am an FNG in DCFD so I can be rather objective in my feelings on this whole matter with the "NEW and CLUELESS" Chief. All we need to do is our jobs...like we have been doing and I am 99% positive our little friend will just fade away. If he knows he is getting to us...he will just press us harder. Most of us already have one up on him anyway..and if you saw MEET THE CHIEF...you know what I am talking about.
    Stay Like Ice
    P.S. Wish all the guys at Eng10ine a speedy recovery.

FIREMANPPB
    Firehouse.com Guest

Just some more thoughts on my mind:

I tried to get some info on the condition of E-10's crew after seeing the picture of the Wagon on this website.
    ANY ACCURATE INFO I was to recieve came from OUTSIDE the DCFD( websites and Emails)

To all who gave accurate updates of the crews conditions I appreciate the help.

Blessed Easter to all

15hoseman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Any thoughts on how Mr. Few's Beloved PIO handled E10's crash? I believe I saw him on the news saying something to the effect of "obviously high speed was involved, as you can see by the condition of the truck". Now I realise that his job is to provide the public with information, but it seems to me he should 1) refrain from making damning statements about the FD and its members, especially before any investigation had been made 2) use any opportunity in front of a camera to 'spin' the story and plug the department. Perhaps he could have said something to the effect "we're investigating this...", "right now we're praying for all who were involved in the accident", or even "the budget given to us by the city hasn't allowed us to update our entire fleet to have modern anti-lock brakes".

Also, he should know which company was involved in the accident, and not just read off the side of the reserve piece.

Not long ago, he had given misinformation to the media regarding the double fatal fire on U st SE, what else has he done that anyone can remember?

spo0k
    Firehouse.com Guest

This is a little late in responce, as I just started reading this thread today and reached a topic on the third page that I felt I wanted to reply to.

I recently started with a city department surrounded by the City of Columbus (OH) with an urban population equally as repulsive as anywhere.

I feel that the 'customer service' ideation comes from departments in smaller more rural areas, or township departments, that rely on word of mouth in order to operate. These departments dont take the runs on the idiots we see. They dont see the patient with 4 day old stomach pain who needs a medic only because they dont have a family doc or a way to the hospital. They dont work full-codes or shootings only to be spit on by onlookers, or worse, shot at. They dont take the 5 alarm fires and work for 7 hours to save property only to have neighbors come and loot the place while we're still on the scene. As firemen we become very jaded as to human nature. We dont see people at their best, we see people at their worst, and we are expected to absorb that, and fix their physical as well as emotional problems.

Also, to the DCFD, remember, the IAFF will always be stronger than a fire chief, a mayor, or anything in your way. Good planning and organization will hopefully overcome this. I hope you guys get this straightened out, before precident is set and it starts happening everywhere.

------------------
    FF. Mike Burnes
    Whitehall Fire Division

sidney251
    Firehouse.com Guest

Any word on the condition of the member from T15 that was also injured at the accident scene on Benning Road?

sid

10firefighter
    Firehouse.com Guest

who from truck 15 was injured.

NE DCFIREMAN
    Firehouse.com Guest

J.Q.Adams was assaulted by MPD for taking pictures of the accident scene.

SAY_WHAT
    Firehouse.com Guest

Was that before, during, or after he decided to run from MPD.

B1sgt4life
    Firehouse.com Guest

Remember, the right to freedom of speech is not tolerated in DC why should the freedom of Press? good luck JQ

SAY_WHAT
    Firehouse.com Guest

How about this, chief Few throws a "triple fest." A graduation of around 60 FF/EMT's, 8 or so new reciprocity EMT's (?), and 8 or so communication operators. Chief Few decided that he didn't need to wear a uniform but just wear a k-mart suit. Other than that all went well in the helicopter hanger. Except for an occasional take off and the inability of persons attending to obtain seating. Chief Few claimed to not know that the arrangements for class 326, 328, and other members of the "DC Fire and Ems Dept" were so bad and promised better next time. If your the Chief shouldn't you know what is going on in the department and where the newest members are graduating. I also would like to clear a few things up, Chief Few had nothing to do with getting the fifth man back on the ladder trucks, he also had nothing to do with the introduction of the paramedic engine companies. He tries to take all the credit for those things, how about asking Chief Tippet what he did to get those things done instead of pretending to have some involvement in them.

Finally Chief Few, do you think that the graduation of fellow brothers into the department was the place to insult our union president. I would have to say, today you lost even more support from the department.

feelin down uptown
    Firehouse.com Guest

I MUST SAY THAT GRADUATION OOPPPS TRIPLE FEST HAHA WAS SOMETHING ELSE I THINK OWES EVERYONE AN APPOLIGY FOR NOT WEARING HIS UNIFORM AND HIS COMMENTS TO THE LOCAL PRES VERY DISTASTEFUL SO MUCH FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE BETER LUCK NEXT CLASS!!!

NEFireater
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

Again the "Chief" has made a mockery of "our" fire department. The funny thing is that it seems someone likes the guy. I say lets do what PGPD just did and have a no confidence vote for our little friend. I already heard that Local 36 doesn't want to do that, but even if it has no substantial impact the world would know how much we dislike the guy. Either way...it's one big poop sandwich and we all have to take a bite...but no one said we have to swallow it.
    Stay like ice.

TaskForceAlarm
    Firehouse.com Guest

NEFireater,

I couldn't agree with you more on the "vote of no confidence" issue. Something needs to be done to show the public along with the local politicians that we as a department do not support this so called "chief" or any of his tradition destroying ideas. He has made a mockery of us time and time again. I couldn't believe the way he conducted himself at the graduation ceramomy. But hey, we're just one big happy "famawee". No uniform, hugging and kissing babies for the camera, saluting with his left hand at times.
    Lets not forget taking credit for things he never did and embarressing OUR union president. This guy can't manage himself. He has no buisness managing the fire department of the NATIONS CAPITOL.

Double_Local
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'm all for it. I bet if we somehow get our raise (after arbitration) he'll try and take credit for that too.

Thread Information