+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 First ... 3456
    NozzleHog
    Firehouse.com Guest

Originally posted by Lt4LifeInDCFD:
    The "Chief" is ordering the release of the rookies in the Training Academy to be effective on 6-10-01. ... That means they only have 3 out of 16 weeks of firefighting! ... To top it all off, the Chosen Few has issued an order that each Company perform 4 Fire Prevention Inspections PER DAY, EACH DAY, until the end of the fiscal year (Sept. 30) in order to "allow this Department's performance goal for building inspections to be met". Nice priorities, huh? So much for having time to train the untrained rookies. Evidently, his building inspection goal is more important to him than the training and safety of the new probationers! Chief's Order or not, I'll spend as many hours a day training a rookie (who should have been trained at the Academy) so that I'm comfortable with the fact that they have a chance of survival on this job. TO HELL WITH HIS BUILDING INSPECTION'S PERFORMANCE GOAL!!
    Lieu:
    Myself, I have always considered bringing up the new guys right and watching out for them to be one of the most important things an officer can do.
    What a crock this is! How is the chief going to justify having guys on the street that don't meet firefighter professional standards? I wonder what he would say to the family if, God forbid, something were to happen to one of them.
    A tip of the helmet to you for having a pair and putting the brothers first.

DTRT-PTB

sidney251
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

A total of 4 firefighters were trapped in a house fire on Tuesday night in Claymont, New Castle County, Delaware. 2 in the basement and 2 were cut off by fire on the 2nd floor. The reason why I put this here is that they had no communications with either the I.C. or the communications center because their 800mhz radios failed. Several areas in Delaware have had problems with the 800 radios since their inception in that state. These are the same radios that we use here in DC. I know that there are problems in E7's first due as well as other areas of the District. Please use extreme care when going below grade, entering large square footage buildings, or even during heavy usage times, I.E. storms, multiple alarms. DC has taken some steps in trying to cope with the radio problems, with dispatching the extra engine for communications. I just hope that this is enough to counter the problems with the digital radios. To see the Delaware story, go to http://www.delawareonline.com/newsjo...6/15fire2.html

stay safe

sid T17 #1

El Toro
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

My Brothers-

Scooby Few has struck again...It was rumored many months ago, that he would make the same changes here in the City, that he did in the sticks- those that made absolutely no sense, did no good whatsoever, and basically, just looked good to a country hick let loose on the City. I read it in the new orders that came out the other day-

No leather helmets, no leather boots. Captains and below will be issued black plastic helmets, Chiefs and above will wear white- all this effective 1July01. Thats great...really great...wheres my 414 money? wheres the increased staffing? wheres the rest of the promised paramedic engine companies? Where is the new contract? how about a raise? why dont i have my new pajamas yet? Where in the Hell did they find this country bumpkin and when is he going back to whatever rock he crawled out from underneath? and lastly, but most importantly,

what is my Union going to do about this? if the past couple of years is any indication, then I think I know the answer.....

[This message has been edited by El Toro (edited 06-24-2001).]

MADSGTDCFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Scooby Few has dodged evry issue there is to running a Fire Department. When you are clueless as to your job(as he is) you change things such as morale ,uniforms,and helment colors. Are you going to hire your buddy to write the next Promtion Exam- Mr Holms. The man that said NYFD was a hopeless mess. Scooby Few,you need to get on that South bound train and head on back to Georgia . Dont worry, there are plenty of other Fire Departments that you can go off to and DESTROY.

xchief
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

Better hope he's not reading the F/F/Forum the on on P.G. Fire Chief might give him some ideas...

Squadman911
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

Hey DC guys. Let me know when Chief Few starts letting volunteers in. I know a bunch of career firefighters in around the DC area that would love to volunteer with you guys. If you guys can "two hat" on your days off, why can't we ?? Get a life and volunteer somewhere where there's no career people!!! Your's taking jobs away from us!

C Montgomery
    Firehouse.com Guest

Squadman911,

I am just a little confused. Have you or anybody you know lost your job because there are volunteers in your or another jurisdiction? Or are you speaking of future jobs for people you do not know? I have been a career firefighter in your area in the past and can not recall voluntters taking anyones job from them.

Cliff Montgomery
    Fire Chief
    Blue Grass Army Depot
    Fire & Emergency Services

Squadman911
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hi Cliff. What I'm talking about is Career firefighters/IAFF members volunteering where there are other IAFF members working. It's one of the reasons why these other jurisdictions are still running with low staffing. It's nothing but a numbers game. If an IAFF member wants to volunteer, then volunteer somewhere that doesn't have IAFF workers in their system. I'm not going to lose my job, but they won't hire as many firefighters they need when there's "two hatters" out there.
    PS. You still playing softball ?

MADSGTDCFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hey Squadman911, get a life yourself! Is this your first year as a Paidman in Montgomery County? The Volunteers were there before you. If you dont/didnt like them,why did you apply? YOU KNEW THE DEAL BEFORE YOU STARTED.And as far as coming down to Volunteer in DC, Standby, Scooby Few is probly working on that now.You need to start another forum on your topic,you are only taking up space here.

Leather Head
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

Just curious as to what anyone has heard about the latest batch of rumors:

1. The Chief only has a month left on his contract and it may not get renewed.

2. Tower 10 is going to disappear and become a special unit out of E-4's house. Possibly crossmaned by the engine.

3. All of the Deputies are going to get shuffled again.

4. The Dept. is going to offer an early retirement.

5. The Dept. is going to bring back Senior Sergeants.

If you know anything about these or have heard something else, I'd like to hear it.

Ya gotta love it. Waist length hair and beards for "firefighters" are OK, leather helmets and Pro boots purchased at your own expense and which help you do a better job are not.

I used to be disgusted, now I'm just amused.

Nozzle, just a point of interest, whats so good about lether helmets,we havent used them since before i got in the job

Rabble rouser

I heard through the grapevine that the DC Council passed the legislation for cross training the civilian EMS personnel. I tried to find it on the council website, but couldn't.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

-Kobersteen

Ask the Chief Tuesday 24th on WTOP 1000 hrs.
    WTOP Ask the Chief
    There is a web cast link for people from other parts of country to listen in on.

They Have the webcast still posted if anyone missed the 1000 hrs. live show
    Few WTOP Interview Webcast

[ 07-24-2001: Message edited by: ESmith ]

I can not believe what i saw on wtop liveweb cast. Scooby actually had his uniform on.

WTOP has the webcast archived if anyone missed the live broadcast. Few Interview (Real Player)

The Chief may have had his uniform on, but he had no idea what he was talking about. As usual it was extremely hard to listen to him and his made up vocabulary. He completely dodged the truth when asked why it took over 2 minutes to dispatch the box on Lamont, assuring that he had personally investigated the incident and that Communications did a good job. He claimed that they are doing a great job and the new CAD system was not placed in service too early. Is that why at almost any given time you can look at the screen and see a call that has been pending dispatch for over 5 minutes and sometimes longer? He seemed to belive that training longer on the new system would have been a waste of time, instead just put someone in front of a screen (with citizens and firefighters lives depending on communications to know what they are doing) and they will figure out how to work it eventually. He said that the new CAD system would make response time better because it took into account one-way streets and other traffic factors, and dispatch a more appropriate company but not always the closest one. Everyday you can hear some engine running a med-local a block or two away from someone else's firehouse while they are in quarters, because the computer says it's OK. That's Bullsh*t! It is only a matter of time before someone up on Macmillion Drive gets someone killed because they don't know what they are doing. Oh wait they already have. It's alright though because Chief Few thinks that they are doing a great job. I should clarify, not everyone up at the CD is an idiot but most of them are. I just hope if I ever have to call in a Mayday ( and my radio actually gets out), I have someone on the other end who's going to know what to do.

Stay Safe

Well, I listened & watched that most
    informative interview, & golly, I'm
    speechless...What a firefighting machine
    & intellect, I did this, I did that, I,I,
    I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I
    lost count after 50 or so...
    For fear of the "Speech Police, Liberal
    Headhunters" & of course those perpetually
    in a state of "Reality Denial", just be
    thankful only a 'few' fell from that passing
    turnip truck! WHERE'S DA UNION???!!!

Hola, Heroes...

Just curious, but how many people plan on complying with the revised GO on the leather helmets/boots, namely, painting them black? I have seen a fair amount of each, some yellow, and some black...any opinions out there?

I RECENTLY TOOK MY MEDICAL PHYSICAL AND WAS GIVEN 6 MONTHS TO BE BELOW THE BODY FAT %. I WAS WONDERING WITH ALL THE RUMORS ABOUT NO MORE CLASSES OFF THIS LIST THAT IF I COMPLETE MY PHYSICAL BY MY DEADLINE(DEC) IF I AM STILL ABLE TO BE HIRED WITHOUT TESTING AGAIN

No you don't have to retest (unless they throw this list out and you have to retest all together), all you have to do if your time goes past three months is retake the urine screen for drugs, once you are medically fit, you are good to go, if it is off this list.

[ 08-14-2001: Message edited by: Tentruck ]

[ 08-16-2001: Message edited by: Tentruck ]

Happen to notice that DCFD has a maximum entry age of 32. I was curious if there are exceptions to this if your already a career FF? I'm currently 35 and a Career FF and was looking to test with DC or Baltimore.

Stay safe,
    Dave
    FTM-PTB

If you read the Washington Times today, you will see this article (http://www.washtimes.com/metro/20010828-91504812.htm) stating how the District is not ready to handle a Hazardous Materials incident. But in a recent WTOP interview with Chief Few, Ronnie stated that "we are more than capable of handling any type incident, and we could have surely handled the Baltimore Tunnel fire incident."

So, what is the truth?

sid

[ 08-29-2001: Message edited by: sidney251 ]

Hey FEDFIRE, the department gives no extra consideration to those who have prior experience when it comes to the age limit. The only way you can get aroung the age limit that I know of is to get appaointed as a paramedic, and then cross-over if and when the dual role cross training starts.

Hey SIDNEY - We don't even HAVE a full time hazmat unit anymore! There is no way we could handle an incident like the Baltimore Tunnel fire without recieving extensive mutual aid assistance from other jurisdictions or even the Feds. Even though the Rescue Squads and certain engine co.'s are trained to level III, it's not something that they do or train in on a regular basis. If anything big happens at IMF, we might be in trouble.

PS - How's life with the "Buffalo Soldiers"?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 First ... 3456

Thread Information