Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

WTOP has the webcast archived if anyone missed the live broadcast. Few Interview (Real Player)

The Chief may have had his uniform on, but he had no idea what he was talking about. As usual it was extremely hard to listen to him and his made up vocabulary. He completely dodged the truth when asked why it took over 2 minutes to dispatch the box on Lamont, assuring that he had personally investigated the incident and that Communications did a good job. He claimed that they are doing a great job and the new CAD system was not placed in service too early. Is that why at almost any given time you can look at the screen and see a call that has been pending dispatch for over 5 minutes and sometimes longer? He seemed to belive that training longer on the new system would have been a waste of time, instead just put someone in front of a screen (with citizens and firefighters lives depending on communications to know what they are doing) and they will figure out how to work it eventually. He said that the new CAD system would make response time better because it took into account one-way streets and other traffic factors, and dispatch a more appropriate company but not always the closest one. Everyday you can hear some engine running a med-local a block or two away from someone else's firehouse while they are in quarters, because the computer says it's OK. That's Bullsh*t! It is only a matter of time before someone up on Macmillion Drive gets someone killed because they don't know what they are doing. Oh wait they already have. It's alright though because Chief Few thinks that they are doing a great job. I should clarify, not everyone up at the CD is an idiot but most of them are. I just hope if I ever have to call in a Mayday ( and my radio actually gets out), I have someone on the other end who's going to know what to do.

Stay Safe

Well, I listened & watched that most
    informative interview, & golly, I'm
    speechless...What a firefighting machine
    & intellect, I did this, I did that, I,I,
    I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I
    lost count after 50 or so...
    For fear of the "Speech Police, Liberal
    Headhunters" & of course those perpetually
    in a state of "Reality Denial", just be
    thankful only a 'few' fell from that passing
    turnip truck! WHERE'S DA UNION???!!!

Hola, Heroes...

Just curious, but how many people plan on complying with the revised GO on the leather helmets/boots, namely, painting them black? I have seen a fair amount of each, some yellow, and some black...any opinions out there?

I RECENTLY TOOK MY MEDICAL PHYSICAL AND WAS GIVEN 6 MONTHS TO BE BELOW THE BODY FAT %. I WAS WONDERING WITH ALL THE RUMORS ABOUT NO MORE CLASSES OFF THIS LIST THAT IF I COMPLETE MY PHYSICAL BY MY DEADLINE(DEC) IF I AM STILL ABLE TO BE HIRED WITHOUT TESTING AGAIN

No you don't have to retest (unless they throw this list out and you have to retest all together), all you have to do if your time goes past three months is retake the urine screen for drugs, once you are medically fit, you are good to go, if it is off this list.

[ 08-14-2001: Message edited by: Tentruck ]

[ 08-16-2001: Message edited by: Tentruck ]

Happen to notice that DCFD has a maximum entry age of 32. I was curious if there are exceptions to this if your already a career FF? I'm currently 35 and a Career FF and was looking to test with DC or Baltimore.

Stay safe,
    Dave
    FTM-PTB

If you read the Washington Times today, you will see this article (http://www.washtimes.com/metro/20010828-91504812.htm) stating how the District is not ready to handle a Hazardous Materials incident. But in a recent WTOP interview with Chief Few, Ronnie stated that "we are more than capable of handling any type incident, and we could have surely handled the Baltimore Tunnel fire incident."

So, what is the truth?

sid

[ 08-29-2001: Message edited by: sidney251 ]

Hey FEDFIRE, the department gives no extra consideration to those who have prior experience when it comes to the age limit. The only way you can get aroung the age limit that I know of is to get appaointed as a paramedic, and then cross-over if and when the dual role cross training starts.

Hey SIDNEY - We don't even HAVE a full time hazmat unit anymore! There is no way we could handle an incident like the Baltimore Tunnel fire without recieving extensive mutual aid assistance from other jurisdictions or even the Feds. Even though the Rescue Squads and certain engine co.'s are trained to level III, it's not something that they do or train in on a regular basis. If anything big happens at IMF, we might be in trouble.

PS - How's life with the "Buffalo Soldiers"?

Thread Information