firefrogbb
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Contract Negoation

We are starting to get all of our paperwork together for a new contract talks and I was wondering if any body had any ideas to find out where a city hides it money when they sayt they are broke. And any other helpful hints. Thanks

Captain Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

You can hire a CPA to audit the books...it's a matter of public record and the town/city administration has to comply with the request. Good luck in your negotiations!

------------------
    Firefighters: rising to accept the challenge!
    Captain Gonzo

[This message has been edited by Captain Gonzo (edited 03-29-2001).]

FireLt1951
    Firehouse.com Guest

Good reply Capt. By all means request the ENTIRE city budget. Go through it with a fine tooth comb. We had to do this with Detroit more than once. I did it in 1992 and each time we did we found money the city insisted didn't exist. If you have anyone in your department that has a background in Public Administration that will also help you. It is time consuming but well worth it. Pay close attention to each city departments staffing levels and costs. Most cities will fund positions that are either not filled or do not even exist. They also have a tendency to put down money for equipment and other projects that are trojan horses. Make sure that everything in that budget exists. Depending on the size of your city, your members can do it or, yes you may have to hire someone to do an entire audit.

NUMBY
    Firehouse.com Guest

Sounds like you are on the right track. I believe that this is a service the IAFF offers. It is one of there special departments. You would need to get the information for them. If you are a IAFF local have your president call and talk to someone.

------------------
    Anything I post in the forums is my opinion and does not reflect my department or any organization I belong to.

benson911
    Firehouse.com Guest

The IAFF definitely offers this resource - no need to hire a CPA (they cost money.) See this link to their web page...
    http://www.iaff.org/iaff/TechnicalAs..._analysis.html

We do this before every contract and it shows how much money the city really has!

Thread Information