Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Steamer
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Employee evaluations

I'm looking for examples of effective employee evaluations. Our current format stinks. It's entirely subjective with no kind of manual to reference for any guidance to permit some degree of consistency from one supervisor to the next. I'm trying to get away from even the appearance of personalities entering into the evaluations.
    Any help would be appreciated

------------------
    Steve Gallagher
    Chillicothe (Ohio) Fire Department

4iron
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Good luck Steamer.This has been a joke on our department.Evals are very important when it involves promotions.Our scoring on promotion testing consists of 300 points,100 of those points are based on:1)company officer evals,2)Chief(Battalion,Assist ant,ect.) evals.The problem is we have a Chief who looks at the officer evals and then scores his lower than all evals in the past.Claiming everyone has room for improvement.Except the guys who work at the central station generally get better evals,they're the ones cleaning the Chief's toilets.You would think a guys 10 year officer evaluation(if it's consistant)should be close to the Chief's,but it isn't,so it lowers a guys score.Company officers work side by side with these guys,Chiefs only are in touch with individuals on a very limited bases.It really stinks to have one third of your promotional exam based on limited contact with a Chief!Nepotism stinks!

DavesNavy
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Steamer, if you can develop a fair and accurate evaluation system that works as well in reality as it does in theory you'll soon be a very rich firefighter.
    Between my time in the military and as a career firefighter I've had the opportunity to attend a lot of schools, and see a lot of evals. I believe I've seen about every type of evaluation ever designed and all types of scoring systems. They all have flaws, and one major flaw in particular...we're all being evaluated by humans. There are tons of textbooks out there that discuss the very topic you've touched upon, and all of them have opinions as to why evaluations tend to fail, but the common thread is that they all fall short of expectations. Good luck, and please let me know if you have any success!

------------------
    Dave Taylor
    dtaylor@city.suffolk.va.us

FireLt1951
    Firehouse.com Guest

As long as human beings are doing the evals, subjectiveness will never go away. I agree with DavesNavy, if you find a way to rid the system of subjective behavior, you will get rich.

FEOBob
    Firehouse.com Guest

My Local and the admin of my department have come up with what seems to be fairer than what we have had in the past.
    Promotional evaluations are worth 20%, written test 80%. This has not changed.
    Now you get points (to a maximum of 20) on your eval from several sources:
    Seniority - .4 pts. per year of service
    Education - 1 pt for fire science (or other fire related) AAS, .5 for other AA type degree, 1 pt for fire related BA (including management, teaching, and a couple others), .5 for other BA, and 1/.5 for a masters along the same lines.
    Non-college classes: .25 per class/max of one pt. per two year period.
    Community service: .25 per event/ max of one point per two year period.
    Special assignments (Investigator, training, etc. not including anything with extra pay like haz mat): up to two points
    Actual evaluations: These are started by the company officer, and go through the station captain and then to duty chiefs. Chief/Asst. Chief/Dep. Chief get no input.
    The evaluation form is fairly in depth, giving pretty concise instructions for grading in around twenty categories. The Company officer fills this out, and it is forwarded to the Captain. The captain can make changes to this evaluation, but must write down his reasons for doing so. Then it goes to the Batt. chiefs for a similar treatment. Each step of this eval "gives" it's own points, but they are all tied to the initial evaluation form from the Company officer, and any changes from this must be documented as to why the change. There is little lee-way where the captain and chief can increase or decrease the score, but with out the aforementioned documentation, this range of change is very small. The number of points given from this evaluation is generally between 4 (a pretty poor eval) to 10 (walks on water) with averages on the last round around 8.
    And just to help out if you get stuck with an officer who you have a personality conflict with, the actual score you get on your promotional exam is the last two years averaged.
    There are a few more details, but not much.
    There has been some grumbling from the Chiefs that they don't have enough say in the promotional eval, but the membership is very happy with what we have now. We've only had this in place for the last couple years, and will probably tweak the system a little before the end of the year (next Captains, Lt., and Drivers tests are next year).

JoeMZ191
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Do you know these people?

1. Since my last report, this employee has reached rock bottom and has
    started to dig.

2. I would not allow this employee to breed

3. This employee is really not so much of a has-been, but more of a definate
    won't be.

4. Works well when under constant supervision and cornered like a rat in a
    trap.

5. When she opens her mouth, it seems that it is only to change feet.

6. He would be out of his depth in a parking puddle.

7. This young lady has delusions of adequacy.

8. He sets low personal standards and then consistently fails to achieve
    them.

9. This employee is depriving a village somewhere of an idiot.

10. This employee should go far, and the sooner he starts, the better.

11. Got a full 6-pack, but lacks the plastic thing to hold it all together.

12. A gross ignoramus -- 144 times worse than an ordinary ignoramus.

13. He doesn't have ulcers, but he is a carrier.

14. I would like to go hunting with him sometime.

15. He's been working with glue too much.

16. He would argue with a sign post.

17. He brings a lot of joy whenever he leaves the room.

18. When his IQ reaches 50, he should sell.

19. If you see two people talking and one looks bored, he's the other one.

20. A photographic memory, but he still has the lens cover glued on.

21. A prime candidate for natural de-selection.

22. Donated his brain to science before he was done using it.

23. Gates are down, the lights are flashing, but the train isn't comming.

24. Has two brains; one is lost and the other is out looking for it.

25. If he were any more stupid, he'd have to be watered twice a week.

26. If you give him a penny for his thoughts, you'd get change.

27. If you stand close enough to him, you can hear the ocean.

28. It's hard to believe that he beat out 1,000,000 other sperm.

29. Some drink from the fountain of knowledge; he only gargled.

30. Takes him 2 hours to watch 60 minutes.

Thread Information