Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Promotion Exams

MADSGTDCFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy Promotion Exams

How does your Fire Department come up with and Administer Promotionial Exams? DCFD just had their Exam tossed out due to one of the test writers giving out answers to his friends.

pete fister
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

At our department we use the Michigan Municipal League test. They are sent sealed to Human Resources and are opened in front of test takers and given. After test they are sealed in front of everyone and returned for grading. No one has a chance to see or tamper with them.

Seems to work real well.

Good luck.

Lt. Pete
    SJFD, IAFF L1670

Captain Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

My community is part of the Civil Service system, so all of our exams (from firefighter entrance through Deputy Chief) come from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Human Resources Division.

There was a scandal in the mid 80's when
    someone broke into the offices of the Department of (HRD's predecessor) and stole a Police promotional exam. Security has been drastically improved.

MadSgtDCFD: I feel for you...putting in all that time to study only to have the exam thrown out due to scandal. The person who gave out the answers should be dealt with severely...as well as those who took advantage of the answers!

------------------
    Firefighters: Today's heroes protecting everyone's tomorrows!
    Captain Gonzo

[This message has been edited by Captain Gonzo (edited 06-02-2001).]

MADSGTDCFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

The sad part of this story is that people put in anywhere from 4 to 8 months of study time to include 6 to 8 hours a day. Now that the exam has been tossed out, God only knows when things will get back on track. This problem will affect our Department for a long long time.

daysleeper47
    Firehouse.com Guest

Youngstown runs its exams in the Civil Service-sytle, but writes thier own exams. In fact, my cousin writes them and has for over 40 years and in that time, he has never been questioned. Last year he retired and the city wanted to give an exam but didn't have a test to use. They wanted to hire him back on a free-lance basis, but the courts said it was illegal for some stupid reason. Red tape...gotta love it.

------------------
    Joe
    Daysleeper47
    "When the bell goes ding-ding, its time to get on the woo-woo."
    "Dusting desire - starting to learn. Walking through fire with out a burn..."
    Youngstown Fire Department

ESmith
    Firehouse.com Guest

Here is a form letter to send Inspector General.
    Send it certified return receipt for proof of 10 day limit.
    On the envelope in lower corner put Freedom of Information Request.

Good Luck lets see if it works

Name
    Address

June 2, 2001
    Charles C. Maddox
    Inspector General
    717 14th Street, NW., 5th Floor
    Washington, DC. 20005

Dear Sir,

Pursuant to the Freedom Of Information Act, 5 USC 552, and the Privacy Act of 1974, 5 USC 522a, I hereby request copies of the following documents for the two (2) subjects listed below.

1. I am requesting all records, documents, and information in your files pertaining to the Investigation by the Inspector General into an Allegation that the District of Columbia Fire and Emergency Medical Services 2000 Promotional Examination was compromised. This request is to include, but not limited to, the following information: complete final investigative report, investigative notes, interview notes, analytical methods utilized, analytical method utilized to determine which test takers would be interviewed, and interagency communications (both written and verbal) between the Inspector General or authorized representative and the following agencies: the District of Columbia Fire and Emergency Medical Services Department, the International Association of Fire Fighters Local 36, the District of Columbia Office of Personnel, the United States Office of Personnel Management and any other agency not noted.

In the event that some of the material is considered by you to be exempt from disclosure under both Acts, then please include all segregable portions of documents and the specific exemption you are relying upon to deny disclosure of the excised portions. Please note that in order to avoid disclosure, you must claim an appropriate exemption under both Acts.

I am requesting that you abide by the statutory time within which to made a determination on this request, that being ten (10) working days from your receipt under Section 552 (a) (6)(A)(i).

I request a fee waiver or a least a fee reduction. However, in the event you deny this request for waiver, I hereby agree to pay the fees for search and duplication while retaining my right to appeal your denial of waiver. The information requested will not be used for any commercial purpose.

SIGNED:_______________________ __________
    DATED: ____________

Greetings,

My city uses McMann Testing Company. Years ago, the F.D. use to write their own tests, but for some reason the city took that over.

It is your basic test, some fire science, some management, etc..... It just sucks though, because we have 12 books to read within a 3-6 month time span (depends on when they post the test) and it seems like they only use questions out of three books (LOL)

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Promotional exams

Does anyone have any study questions for the McCann and ***. tests?

Forum Member

Cap, you revived that one from the dead.....7 years, is that a record?

Thread Information