Rescue 21
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question 24 on/ 72 off schedule

We currently work a 10/14 schedule with 4 groups. We are proposing to change to a 24/72 schedule. What are your thoughts on this schedule. How do you handle holiday pay? What is the max of hours you can work straight through. Can you trade for just half the shift. If you run an ambo, does the crew work the full 24 or do they swap out after 12? Is your sick time based on a 24 hour period or some other amount? What are the pros and cons of a 24/72? We know the pros/cons of the 10/14. Thanks for the input.

Lt4LifeInDCFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

In the past 16 years, I've worked a 10/14 (3 days, 3 nights, & 3 off), 24/48, and now a 24/72. We have an average workweek of 42 hours so there are no make-up days involved in it. Our Holiday pay is for the first 12 hours. We do have a rule "on the books" about a 36 hour Max. but in times of heavy leave (Christmas day especially) it's been ignored. Annual leave, trades, etc can all be done in 12 hour increments. The ambulance system in the DCFD is civilian run and operate on a 2 day, 2 night, 4 off schedule but we also have several firefighter run ambulances that are 24 hour shifts. I've got a friend in another jurisdiction that is on a 2 day, 2 night, 4 off schedule and he'll ask "wouldn't you rather my shift so you can have 4 days off?" My reply is he's nuts; why work 3 additional days in order to gain just 1 more day off. The time when it really hit home about how great this schedule is was when I was sitting in a barber shop and an elderly gentleman walked in and began speaking with another man. "So are you retired now?" he asked. The reply was "No, I'm semi-retired...I'm working 2 days a week". "Hey", I thought, "I'm only working 2 days a week, too!" The 24/72 is the best schedule I've worked, by far, and if you have a chance to go to it then grab it and run!!

Tillerman-6
    Firehouse.com Guest

We are 10/14 with 3 days, 3 off, 3 nights, 3 off but we have been toying with the idea of 24/72. The general consensis is that it isn't a bad system to begin with and a majority of the body would rather leave it alone for now. I feel equal about both. I still get three days off in a row every work shift and it all averages out to about 40 hours per week at the end of the year with time off added in. I just see very little difference.

------------------
    "Back off man... I'm a Scientist."

RS-1Alum
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

Tillerman

One thing to consider is the driving into your station to get those 3 days off. Much more gas and wear and tear than if you drive in once and then get 3 days off.

Lone Hunter
    Firehouse.com Guest

Also you never have to work a whole weekend!!! I would love that.Those with kids who play sports know what I mean.

Fire_Inspector
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our department currently works 24/72. I did that shift for many years, before that it was 24/48. It is a great shift and most guys work another job on thier days off. Since my promotion I now work four 10 hour days. Tuesday to Friday. I like this much better every weekend is a three day weekend and since most holidays fall on Mondays I get an extra day off as well. This equals about an extra two weeks vacation per year as I can save the day and take it later. I like it this way better. Never thought I would hear myself say it but its true.

efd1000
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

The 24/72 is the BEST schedule you can do!!!
    1 bad day, so what, you're not coming back for 3 days. We also went to this sched. this year and even those adamently against it have all changed their tune. We also have 4 groups, working: 1,2,3,4. We are allowed half mutuals (10/14) if we need (no limit but the Chief oversees those so we dont miss too much training). We can swap days w/ the group ahead or behind for an extra day off, get a full mutual for 7 days off, swap with the opposite group (group 1 for g3, g2 for g4) for 5 days off. We even have guys toying with the idea of a 24on24off,24on120off schedule. As you can see there's a lot of flexibility with the 24 sched. Our sick time is based on the 24 hr day. Holidays are 11 paid a year at a 12 hour day rate(the idea being you'll work some, not others). Holidays being the other pro: you work Christmas this year, you don't work it again for 3 years. Under the 10/14 you could work a major holiday (day or night) for 6 years! No way! Plus you work a minimum 7, maximum 8 days a month!! Comp time has been integrated into our vacation time.(14 days/yr. total, 71 calendar days off a year). I also think we're allowed 36 hrs. but only for overtime, not mutuals. I'll never go back to the 10/14. It sucks compared to 24's. Do it. Get it. You'll be so glad you did!!!! Every dept. should do it.

Squadman911
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

OH MY GOD ...... I would do anything to be on a 24/72 shift. We work a 24/48 now. Don't get me wrong, the shift now is good, but man a 24/72 is "PHAT" !!!

------------------
    IAFF 4-ever / No Scabs

I work 24/72...it's great, but I'm generally worn out the next day, and i've gotta go to bed early the night before, kind of cuts into my swinging lifestyle. Oh yeah, and generally every all but 1/4 of your weekends are messed up...either working that day or the next.

I'd like to have a 24 on, 48 off, 24 on, 96 off...it works out as a 42h/wk schedule.

Another option for those who absolutely must work 10/14, 12's, whatever...
    MTWHFSS
    DD..DDD
    ..DD...
    NN..NNN
    ..NN...
    Every other weekend is a three day weekend, no switching from days to nights every tour, etc.

We have worked 24/72 for many years, its an excellent shift. remember one day annual leave or sick leave gives you a full 7 days strait off. It works out to 42 hours per week
    you can trade for any part of your shift in our job. We dont have ambulances, but we do have rescues and no they dont change if your a paramedic or LT assigned to a rescue your there for the full 24. The cons, well I cant really think of any

I was wondering how this worked. too. We work 24 on 48 off and a kelly day every 3 weeks. There has been some scuttlebutt around the engine house that this might be a possibility for us. I'm not sure, I sometimes feel that 3 days off in a row is too much time off.
    Crazy from the heat!!!

Sounds like some of us need a HOBBY

Daveman069, you need to get a part time gig somewhere if three days off is to much. A 24/72 shift is the best....wish we had it.
    Proud IAFF member since 1992.

Daveman it goes by really quickly believe me,keep in mind you first day off your a bag of horse pucky, so to speak.Our second day off you are on call for OT (12 hour shifts) if you put your name on the list i.e.

Thread Information