Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    GregPaula
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Diabetic Firefighters

I am a firefighter with a career fire department and an insulin dependent diabetic. As the USA Secretary of the International Registry of Firefighters with Diabetes, I am compiling a list of other diabetic firefighters in the USA. Please contact me at my e-mail address if you are a diabetic and a member of a paid/career fire department. Please send information such as your name, number of dept. members, dept. name, your rank, line or staff, type I or II, were you diagnosed prior to or after hire, years on the job, years with diabetes.

GregPaula
    Firehouse.com Guest

For replies to "Diabetic Firefighters", please send to Turnnbrn@earthlink.net

If you only want responses from paid firefighters, the name of your organiztion should be "International Registry of Career Firefighters with Diabetes".
    I guess I'll just have to start one for us lowly volunteer types.
    BTW...I am a firefighter and I have Type I diabetes.

This guy (GregPaula) is trying to do something good and you (BayRidge60) have to throw your two cents worth in about being a "lowly volunteer". I don't believe he was insulting anyone. Maybe you should edit your reply or delete it totally.

I do not intend to count out volunteer firefighters. Because I work in a career dept. I am dealing with discrimination towards career folks. I have not been in contact with any volunteer firefighters who have had this problem. I am presently involved with a case of a Lt. in a large eastern city who was taken off the line merely because it was discovered by the dept. that he was diabetic. He had had no problems with his job for 7 years with his diabetes, but he was ruled unfit anyway. He is fighting for his job in federal court right now. I am somewhat familiar with the volunteer side of firefighting.I served for 10 years with one while a career firefighter. Four of those years were as the Chief of Dept. If there are volunteers who have diabetes I would like to hear from you.

I will email you later.

[ 07-05-2001: Message edited by: BayRidge60 ]

Thread Information