Thread: Tobacco Use????

Default Tobacco Use????

I was wondering what the general consensus is out there regarding tobacco useage by career fire personnel? I am referring to smoking and chewing here fellas.
    In my department it is allowed in both forms and is supposed to be done in only designated areas in the stations, not allowed in departmental vehicles, and never be done in public.

Unfortunately, it is one of those rules that isn't enforced. Especially when it happens from the top brass and on down the line.

Before I got hired here most of the departments I tested for made you sign a waiver stating that you would refrain from using tobacco both on and off the job during the term of your employment. Besides, I think it is bad for public image.

Let me know what you think

Stay safe

There is no smoking allowed on any city property in our jurisdiction, also we are not allowed to smoke on duty

i think you should have that choice to make by yourself, not someone else making it for you. we have a designated smoking area in the corner of the bay.

When it comes right down to it, it is a personal choice. I don't smoke, and I don't mind those who do. But if there are rules, rules should be followed, right? I don't have a problem with the designated smoking area, we have one.
    Crazy from the heat!!!

This is an interesting topic, our ex-city manager tried to impose this on our department about four years ago (this has since been rescinded..and notice I said "ex" city manager.)

Of course, the issue is health....especially in the departments in states with heart/lung worker's compensation presumption laws. I'm sure most people would agree that healthier firefighters is a good idea. But..where would, or should, the quest for healthy firefighters end??? How about those cheeseburgers and fries for lunch, clogging our arteries? Or, the obese firefighter that keeps right on eating, not even trying to become more physically fit? Or, how about those off-duty softball injuries, or those of us that like to ski or sky dive off duty? Don't all of these activities raise the chances of losing a firefighter to active duty due to illness or injury???

Although I do agree with you inregards to the cities or municipalities going overboard as fas as regulating what you do and where you do it in your life outside of the fire department. The use of tobacco is another story, there is medical data that strongly supports that smoking will shorten your lifespan. As for sky diving or any other extreme sport, second hand sky diving wont hurt me but second hand smoke may.
    Additionally, it is poor for the departmental image to see uniformed people smoking in public, what kind of message does that send out to our kids. We are role models and people look up to us so we should act accordingly.

Forum Member

Just thought this would open up the conversation. I found this on the Boston FD site.

Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 41, Section 101a: Prohibits all Firefighters appointed subsequent to January 1, 1988 from smoking tobacco products.

Your thoughts?

Some of the public may view us as "role models", but, again..where should the line be drawn? A 350 pound firefighter doesn't exactly present a good image to the public..especially when they're falling out at fires. The inability of an obese firefighter to do their job can certainly negatively affect his or her fellow firefighters as they perform their duties. Smokers are being singled out here, in my opinion.

Also, regarding "role models"....for what they pay us, I really don't think that the municipal governments should have the right to dictate to us what we should do off duty, as long as its not against the law, (I could go along with on duty restrictions.) How about the professional athlete "role models" that get chance after chance, even after committing felonies??? And those guys are making millions.

Now, regarding the comment about "second hand smoke" being harmful to others. Of course, I agree, and there's documentation to back this up. What if the firefighter smokes only off duty, though??? And what if he or she steps outside to smoke while on duty, not exposing anyone else to "smoke"???

Again..this is an interesting topic, one that will probably be settled in the courts. I'm not trying to be argumentative here..just expressing my opinions.

Thread Information