Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member FireCapt1951retired's Avatar

Default Mandatory Retirement

Does your department have a mandatory retirement age and/or are you allowed to ask for an extension depending on your position?

If you have one, what is the mandatory retirement age for your department?

Do you believe in mandatory retirement at a given age?

Here we must retire at age 60, the only person that can ask for an extension is the Chief of Department. The chief is allowed to ask for a 2 year extension and must be approved by the city.

I do believe in mandatory retirements.

Firefighting is a younger man's job..can many of you see yourselves opening up on a snow covered roof at 3:00AM on a cold winter night at the age of 65?

In Massachusetts, the mandatory retirement age for career firefighters is 65. While there may be some firefighters who are in good physical condition at that age....there are others who can barely get on the truck to answer the calls. Most of them stay because they feel that they are losing money in their pensions...while in fact they are working for a few more dollars a month.

In Massachusetts, the "magic number" for retirement is 32 years of service at age 55 to get 80% average of your last three years salary as your retirement. There are other options that pay less of a percentage but keep the retirement benefits in force for the survivng spouse.

There comes a time when the old guard must hand the line to the next generation of firefighters.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Department of Defense firefighters have mandatory retirement at 55. The only exception is if you are waivered to start after 35 years of age and need the extra time to get 20 years vested.

Drop me an e-mail if you want more details.

Joe

Forum Member

In Australia HR legislation makes it illegal to retire anybody in any job on the basis of age. Recently litigation re commercial pilots may have got some exemptions. - Any other Aussies know what the current situation in the fire service is?
    I used to work for Australia Post and I know that they cannot forcibly retire any of their employees on the basis of age. Either they make them redundant or they die on the job.
    Disclaimer
    These views are my own and not of either my brigade or any other organisation.

Thread Information