Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default 24/48 guys, leave question

You guys (guys being a unisex term ) that work 24/48's, how much annual & sick leave hours do you get each year?
    ...if you put the handline in the right spot, you won't have to jump out the window...
    -Andy "Nozzles", SQ18, 9-11-01

Forum Member

starting out, 6 sick days, 9 holidays, 6 vacation days. It gets better with time.
    These are my opinions and not those of the organizations for which I work and/or volunteer.

Forum Member

Oh this is a good one, we just went through a fight with our city over the sick leave subject, they wanted to cut it by half.

We get 24 hours of sick leave a month, and you max out at 1008 hours, after that it rolls over to vacation at a rate of 4 to 1.

All city employees get 12 holidays a year, and all city employees get 1 personal holiday a year.

Vacation, less then 4 years of service you get 10 hours a month, from 4 to 14 years of service you get 14 hours, and after 14 years you get 20 hours of vacation.

We max out at 336 hours of vacation.

Have a good day and be safe.

Joe

We earn sick leave at the rate of 9.38 hours per month. The max for a year is 112 hours. However, there is no lifetime max, and when we retire, we get a lump sum payment for 75% of the accumulated hours at the current pay rate.
    Vacation as follows:
    Less than 5 years: 112 hours per year
    5 to 9 years: 140 hours per year
    10 to 14 years: 168 per year
    15 to 19 years: 196 per year
    20 to 24 years: 224 per year
    25 and up: 280 per year
    Annual leave can be accumulated up to but not exceed 480 hours at the end of each calender year for for guys that have been here since before 1995. After that the max was cut down to 240.
    Holidays: we get six 24 hour shifts per year.

We get 12 'holidays' per year automatically. Every month we acrue 1 day towards vacation for a total of 24 days per year that we can take off. Sick time is the same with 1 day per month acrued.
    J. Adam Berry
    Deputy Chief
    Griffith Fire Department

Hi:

We get 10% of our work week as accrued leave each week. In other words, with a 48 hour week, we get 4.8 hours of leave time per week. After 5 yrs service, the percentage jumps to 11%, 12% after 10, etc.
    Stay Safe.
    You asked for my opinion, now you have it. Any similarity to another opinion, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I GET SICK I CALL IN. RETURN WITH A DOCTOR SILP AND GO BACK TO WORK. I CAN BE OFF UP TO 1 YEAR AT FULL PAY. IF REHAB TAKES LONGER THAN 1 YEAR, IT IS UP TO THE DISCRETION OF THE CHIEF AS TO THE PAY I WILL RECIEVE. IF IT IS AN INJURY THAT YOU WILL NOT RECOVER FROM IN THE PAST YOU WERE OFF FOR THE YEAR AND THEN PENSIONED.

SORRY GOT AHEAD OF MYSELF. AS FOR ANNUAL LEAVE I HAVE SEVEN YEARS I GET 9 VACATION AND 2 PERSONAL DAYS. WE DRAW OUR VACATION FOR 2002 IN DECEMBER 2001. THE PERSONAL DAYS CAN BE FLOATED FOR THE YEAR BUT HAVE TO BE DRAWN FOR THE NEXT YEAR. I FLOAT MINE SO I WILL DRAW 11 DAYS NEXT YEAR AND FLOAT 2 AGAIN. THE NUMBER OF DAYS GOES UP AS YOUR TIME INCREASES. I THINK THE GUYS WITH 20 OR MORE GET 16 PLUS 2 PERSONAL.

We don't work the regular 24/48 shift, we work one on, one off, one on, one off, one on, four off. As for time off, your first amount is prorated for when you started on the job. I started in September and got 110 hours pto, and 70 hours sick. All of our time off (ie holidays, personal, vacation) is lumped as personal time off. Vacations weeks are allowed to be pre-approved at the start of each calender year. In case of transfers you will still get your vacation.

Our time off is 384 hrs. This includes 2 weeks vacation, and our sick time is 168 hrs.
    Every five years on the job we get an extra 72 hours of vacation time, or one more week. A ff with 20 years on the job has 672 hrs pto each year. With the ability to have 6 weeks pre-approved vacation.

They let us carry half of our pto over from year to year, but we have to use what we carry over and half of that years balance before the end of the calender year.
    The opinions posted in these forums are my own, and do not represent my department.

Mr. Freeze,
    We have a pretty good system here. We get 11 Holidays a year, of which, we may sell back to the city 10 of those. We also earn Vacation, I have 3 years on, my vacation hours are 12 Hrs. a pay period. The older guys earn more. Our sick leave also works the same way.
    ______________________________ _______

Stay safe MFD

Thread Information