Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default IAFF Helmet Stickers

I was wondering if any departments out there allow IAFF stickers on their helmets. I'm just looking for any information and discussion about it. Also, is your department all full-time or combination. We are in the middle of an "issue" at my department about this. Any thoughts?

We do not have an issue with stickers on a helmet. Some of the guys have the IAFF logo, the W6 memorial stickers, Taz, skull and crossbones, shamrocks, dinosaurs and what ever else thats out there.

It's not the sticker on the lid, it's the person wearing it that counts.

[ 08-10-2001: Message edited by: Captain Gonzo ]
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Same here as with Gonzo. There is no restriction at all. The neighboring town is a combo department, and they too have IAFF stickers or whatever with no issue.

Also the right to wear a Union pin/emblem/sticker is a negiotiable item. They just can't tell you no.

Dave

At one time Union Logos had to be approved by the Chief in DOD Fire Departments. Now it is not a problem. Most all of us have them.
    Henry C. Hoffman Jr.

Jim LeBlanc
    Firehouse.com Guest

My department is combination, with 24 career members, 4 casual members(both IAFF members)and approx. 25-30 volunteers. Some of our brothers have IAFF helmet stickers in various locations on their lids. We haven't had any problems from management regarding this, however, I wouldn't cover my helmet with them.

How nice it must be not to work for a Dept. that is always second guessing who they might offend. We have 100% union membership in a 300 personnel dept and our #1 man still won't make the decision. We are allowed ONLY the following on our helmets. Sta # on front, last name on the back, Officers only get Rank designation on the sides, and if your in a specialty team then you can have a small sticker on your helmet to show the world how much more you know than the other less trained ordinary FireFighters.

In addition to the helmet stickers, we have the Professional Fire Fighters of Massachusetts (PFFM) patch on our turnout gear!

[ 08-11-2001: Message edited by: Captain Gonzo ]
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

After a nasty situation a few years ago concerning a confederate flag on someone's helmet, only the station number is permitted on the helmet.

Most the guys I work with do have the IAFF helmet stickers on. We are a combination department in the midst of becoming fully paid, we only have a few active volunteers left out of 100+ people. I personally do have an IAFF sticker on my helmet as well as a Purdue Pete sticker. I can only think of one instance since I have been there that they have frowned on anyone putting stickers on their helmet. One guy have the Grateful Dead dancing bears on his helment (don't ask me why) but I don't think they were to trilled with that one. Most guys have the usual shamocks, etc...

stay safe

One thing I forgot, we are definitely not allowed to put the IAFF stickers on the fire truck windows, what about you guys?

IAFF Stickers are allowed on helmet.
    Also Every rig except for chief and Deputy chief's ( who are not union )has a union sticker.

We have Union helmet decals on everyones helmets and Union Auto decals on all the rigs. Our current chief is from within and has no problem with it. Union pride. Live it, love it and it will give you the best in return.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE...THE IMPOSSIBLE!

Union decals on all our vehicles, i have an IAFF decal on my helmet, I've heard that new helmets being issued are not allowed to have anything on them. But I'll stick with my old one for the time being

Sorry our Dept is all paid, about 220 members

Forum Member

We had to remove our IAFF stickers from the trucks. Supposedly the city didn't want to endorse any single union. We would have had to apply all the city's union stickers or none at all. Seems like a stupid thing and only intended to irritate the FF and make them feel like we really are employees and not members of the goverment "team."

Members do apply IAFF stickers to their helmets, but they are reflective and therefore help the FF meet the reflectivity requirements in state law for FF helmets. Can't argue with safety - usually.

edit to remove personal info
    Last edited by FiremedicMike; 03-25-2012 at 09:07 PM.

If the electric workers in our city can have IBEW stickers on their helmets and trucks, we can have IAFF on our helmets and trucks.

However, we are a non-collective barganing state, so the union isn't as strong as it could be. But we are hoping to get the votes in November.

MembersZone Subscriber PFD109NFD107's Avatar

Personnaly I do not see the issue here. I sure like the idea of labor and management working together. Our department does not allow us to wear union stickers on our helmets. We are allowing to put pretty much anything on them except that. They used to be allowed until we got a new Deputy Chief and he raised a stink about them. THE FUNNY THING IS THE PRIOR TO HIS PROMOTION TO DC THIS GUY WAS UNION VP AND PROUDLY WORE A UNION STICKER JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE!!! Talk about forgetting where you came from.

You wont believe this but our department wont allow the stickers because (this is good) the glue is not NFPA approved and might endanger the structural integrity of the helmet. But (it gets better) they have glued on an accountability tag and a goggle holder. And for several years we wore 100% polyester pants. I was forced to take my wife and kids names off my helmet as well, which i had painted on to remind me to stay safe. This from a 300+ fire fighter dept.

Hey scrapper. The county I work for has no problem with 1 small IAFF sticker on the helmet. But nothing else, no union hats, shirts, etc. while on duty. Not sure why. We work in a combo system and we're about 1000 strong. Check us out at iafflocal1664.com, later on bro.
    Proud IAFF member since 1992.

Thread Information