Thread: Joining IAFF

Default Joining IAFF

My department is currently contemplating whether or not to join the IAFF. We have a small combination department with 6 full-time and approximately 25 poc pesonnel. 2 full-time would not be eligible for the union so we would only be a local of 4. What would we be getting for the dues paid to IAFF. Some question whether or not we would lose benefits or possibly our jobs by organizing. One person feels that what we're getting for the dues wouldn't be worth it. I strongly disagree. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to answer.

Forum Member

Well if the city you serve has more than 5000 residents, then you can be a recognized union and gain bargaining rights, which is worth every dollar spent in dues. If not I'm not quite sure what the union does for you other than get you a sticker which will get you guys out of tickets

HAVE YOU CONSIDERED BECOMING MEMBERS OF ANOTHER LOCAL IN YOUR AREA IF THERE IS ONE. WE HAVE MEMBERS FROM 8 DIFFERENT DEPARTMENTS IN OUR LOCAL AND HAVE DIVIDED INTO TWO CHAPTERS. I CURRENTLY SERVE AS A TRUSTEE IN 1 OF THE CHAPTERS OF IAFF LOCAL 3690 THE SEDONA/VERDE VALLEY FIREFIGHTERS ASSOCIATION. GOOD LUCK AND DON'T FORGET THAT FOR GENERATION BEFORE YOU FIREFIGHTERS CONTRIBUTED TO THE IAFF AND NOW WE HAVE BETTER PPE, TWO IN, AND MANY OTHER SAFETY BASED ITEMS WE TAKE FOR GRANTED. SO NOW WE NEED TO SET THE STANDARD FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS. GOOD LUCK, AND I HOPE WELCOME TO THE IAFF
    Not forgotten FDNY Members lost on 9-11
    Member of IAFF Local 3690
    Sedona-Verde Valley Firefighters Association.

Do you have a working contract? do you have the right to bargain whats on the contract? how are your benies? how often do you get a pay raise, and at what % is that raise.How do you compare your pay check to the Union depts around you(comparables are a good tool for bargaining) What is you relationship with the commishioners or chief or whatever your governing body is? You cant use the recources of the state council of fire fighters nor the international.Its worth it to join. try not to ruffle too many feathers when you do it. Plus you can get really neat-o- stuff like the coveted IAFF window sticker. We made the move about 4 years ago and im glad we did it. do the chief and commissioners know of this?
    If you want to know more about what we went through e-mail me atjeffhendricks1@home.com
    [img]wsphotofews.excite.com/032/mp/wb/5o/016[/img]

[ 08-24-2001: Message edited by: EKUK ]

MembersZone Subscriber

Definately check to see if you can join a local that has already formed.

I helped form a local at the combo department I worked on (8 paid, 6 eligible). Fortunately, the state PFFO helped finanically A LOT. The IAFF was good to us also.

We went to arbitration on our first contract (after 8 months of negotiation), won, and then the city put it to a vote of the people, which we also won. The state PFFO paid for all of the legal fees and representation, and the national office of the IAFF caught wind of the city vote and called our president the next day to brief him on what steps to take.

With only 4 eligibe members, you guys better be VERY unified on what you want to accomplish, and you better stick together.

As far as losing your jobs, they can't legally fire you for joining a union. They can, however, fire you for other reasons, so show up to work on time, cross your T's and dot your I's.

Good luck.
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

MembersZone Subscriber

As Silver City 4 commented, check to see if you may piggyback on another nearby locals' charter. Having literally just been through forming a local (IAFF 4121) we were advised by our District VP that with only 6 eligible members that would be wanting to form a local chapter, we were pretty much at the minimum for number of members necessary. We discussed about possibly looking into joining a nearby local, but decided to form our own due to some special circumstances relating to our particular Department. As far as what can the IAFF offer, check out their website, www.iaff.org , and you'll find that there is some good information there. You can also e-mail them at join@iaff.org . Be sure to include some basic information (as in the State you're in, and Department) so that they can hook you up with the right people to get in touch with you. I hope this helps, and if you need any other help just ask. Again, having just gone through this, it's all still pretty warm in my mind. Good Luck.
    Greg Loveall, FF/PM
    Columbia River Fire & Rescue
    IAFF-L3215

Forum Member

I would definitely join the IAFF!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information