Forum Member

Drifting on a raft in the Carribean Ocean listening to Buffet.

Default New hires getting promoted early.

My question is pretty simple. Should a person that gets hired from another juridiction in state or out, have their time count toward the promotional exam that they accrued in the other jurisdiction? I'm not saying this is wrong or right, I just wanted to know how other areas are conducting business.

I think they should after a certain amount of time... If you have fifteen years of Exp and move for whatever reason and then spend a reasonable amount of time learning the "local way" then you are more qualified in genral terms than an eight year veteran of the Dept.

Forum Member

If I'm a Lt. for 8 years in Michigan and I get hired in your dept, my time in Michigan means nothing for seniority. If I go from a Michigan Lt. to a Florida Capt., I'm a Capt. with 1 day seniority. PERIOD.

Experience and education should be factors in hiring but it can't always transfer. A 20 year Chief in Podunk,XX can't jump into a Chief's job in Detroit. Seniority hiring is on it's way out, and good riddance.

My opinion.

Joe

Greetings,

In my opinion, if you get hired with a new city F.D., you start out at the bottom and work your way up through the ranks. The only thing that should carry over would be the pension credits IF in the same pension plan.

I believe by having guys carry over rank, seniority, etc.... would cause a ton of problems with the guys who have been on the job as long, if not longer, who have not made rank yet.

Plus, I beleive it would open a can of worms for other individuals to get hired from other industries (i.e. chemical for F.D. Haz Mat, etc...) Or what if you had a volunteer apply and get the job. As it turns out, he was a volunteer Captain for 15 years, should he automatically become a Captain in your job? Just food for thought.

Here's a good one. There is a fire department in the state that requires 3 years in-house experience as a firefighter to be eligible for promition. OK so far. If they don't get enought people to test in-house (6), they also open the position to the outside to anyone with 5 years experience. Still with me?

The problem being is that if you are on the department, and have less than 3 years on the department, you can not test even if you have an addition 5 years full-time experience on another department. But, you can quit the department, and then be eligible to test for the promotion.

[ 09-08-2001: Message edited by: FP&LS Guy ]

Thread Information