Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question Information/Stats on Crosstraining

I am interested in finding info and stats on Fire/EMS system crosstraining. There are many Fire Depts that have EMS under the same name but not actually doing both jobs. I am looking for systems that are dual role.

Anyone know of any websites with numbers, precentages, and stats of how many, how do, and how long....

thanks
    " The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." - Samuel Johnson

We run paramedic ambulances from our fire stations. Out of the 75 or so shift personnel, about nine are firefighter/paramedic. These are assigned to engine companies to run as first responders and are rarely detailed to ride the ambulances. Only to cover for sick time or vacations etc. Out of the 12 medics assigned to the units, one or two are in fire school now and once certified as firefighters they can swap ambulance time with a firefighter on the engine if both parties agree. A firefighter is not going to be taken off the engine just for the sake of swapping unless he just would like to ride the unit every once in a while. One of the medics at my station is going through FF Cert. class and I would probably swap with him every once in a while.

BTW, try to get with some of the Memphis,TN guys on this site. All of their medics are firefighters, but not all firefighters are medics.

If you're IAFF, contact them. They have it ALL!

Forum Member

Wink

Swr88, get a copy of "JEMS" magazine not sure of the month but every year they have a survey of the 100 or 200 most populated cities in the U.S. and how they provide EMS its fairly detailed and has the information you asked about.

Norfolk (Va) Fire-Rescue is a true cross-trained, dual role fire/EMS agency. In 1991, the Norfolk Paramedical Rescue Service merged with the Norfolk Fire Department. Since April 1993, members split their 24 shift between EMS and fire - that is 12 hours EMS (ambulance) & 12 hours fire (engine, ladder, or squad). Norfolk operates 14 ALS engines, 7 BLS ladders, 2 ALS tech rescue companies, and 10 ALS ambulances. Volume is about 40,000/year and about 75% to 80% of those are EMS. Starting pay at FF level is about $31,000. Starting pay for FF/paramedic is about $36,000. No prerequisite training is required to get hired. Fire academy is appoximately 21 weeks. Please visit the website for more information. I don't believe that you will find many departments that are truly cross-trained/dual role, but they are out there.

www.fire@norfolk.gov/public_safety/nfps

There are a ton of cross-trained firefighter/paramedics in and around Chicago. The city now runs ALS Engines with a paramedic on board. Most suburbs are cross-trained, however there are still quite a few that either are BLS,have contracted fire medics or do not provide EMS transport. By in large if you come to the Chicago Metro area, being a paramedic is a big plus.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Somewhere around 80% of our operations personnel are
    currently cross trained as paramedics. All medics, engines, trucks,
    and brush rigs are ACLS equiped and staffed. Last shift I was assigned to the Quint and today I'm riding the Box (terms of endearment for the ambulance). Contact me if you have any specific questions.

Thread Information