Question Military call up of Guard/Reserves

I am wondering how many Firefighters have been called up in support of Operation Noble Eagle and Enduring Freedom and are you still on Active Duty orders ?

The VTANGFD in Burlington VT has 4 military personel on orders for a year to supliment the state firefighters while the aircraft fly 24hr air patrols on the east coast. These 4 will be working 24 on and 24 off at the Burlington International Airport. 6 more firefighters including myself have been activated to be deployed overseas. It's unknown the amount of time we'll be gone.
    City of Burlington
    IAFF local 3044

My dept has had one of our Army reservists called to active duty. He is with an Military Police squad. He is deployed stateside, but could be called overseas at any time. He has told us that his orders are for a year but it could be longer.
    Our city counsel has actually made a resolution that if any city employee is taken for active duty and their military pay is not equal to their city salary- they will make up the difference.
    Lt Cindy Murphy
    Clarksburg Fire Dept WV
    Take the road less traveled, but always put safety first, live to fight another day.

Question

DOES ANYONE HAVE INFO ON IF AN EMPLOYER HAS TO KEEP THE SALARY, HEALTH CARE, PENSION BENEFITS ETC FOR THOSE EMPLOYEES THAT ARE ACTIVATED.WOULD THIS BE A STATE OR FEDERAL LAW?
    THANKS AND STAY SAFE

Forum Member

No, they do not have to continue paying you. Details are in the federal laws. The best resources for details are the VA and an org called Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve.They have to give you the job back with no loss of seniority or benefits when you get back. I believe they are also required to keep your health insurance for the first 30 days. Some depts do more because of benefits negotiated by their unions. Others benefit by the patriotism of their local government. My dept pays the difference in my military pay and FD pay for up to two weeks per year. The township board has also passed a resolution to keep our health coverage intact if we are called to active duty for. I believe that your time counts for pension purposes, but you have to pay the employee contribution.

The employer only has to give you a position when you get back,and you are entitled to all cost of living raises,as well as they have to reactivate your insurance effective immediately,you do not lose your seniorety either, and the position that you get when you get back has to pay the same or more then what you were making when you left,as soon as your position comes available you have first option to get it back,before they can give it to anyone else,they do not have to pay you while you are on orders,wether they be direct,or you volunteered to go.I hope that answered your questions,I am currently under orders here in bosnia,thats how I am able to give you the Information that you asked for.Have a Great Day,and be safe brother.

MembersZone Subscriber

I recently came back to duty after being activated for Operation Noble Eagle. I was posted as an assistant team leader Team 4 at the Manchester, NH airport.
    The Mayor at the time of my activation stepped up to the plate with another councilor and pushed a motion through the council covering activated personnel's benefits & pay differential to include medical coverage for their families.
    The only requirement of an employer is to return your postion with no loss of seniority or accumalated benefits(i.e Vacation, etc). As for retirement, you lose time. In my case, during my activation, there were no monies being forwarded to the retirement. Hopefully, the state retirement board will open up the ability to purchase time towards retirement like they did post-Desert Storm.
    The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little time.

Forum Member

Default Guard callup

Our department had 1 person called to DUTY in NYC last year. He received his time off required by law of 22?(in NY state) working days paid. The balance of the time he was off he had guys cover for him in trade so that he did not lose anything. When He got back he made up the time to them. Now he is facing a 6 month tour-ordered but uncertain. The City will again give him the 22 days off as required by law and the balance of the time he will be on a leave of absence (Also the law here). He has been told that it is thought that all his benefits will be suspended when he is away (including health insurance). None of this is for certain yet. The way our City is going it is not surprising. As of 5:30 tomorrow I am laid off after 3 years on the Job.

God Bless and stay safe
    prepare for the worst<br />Hope for the best

Thread Information