Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Stations

BURNSEMS
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question New Stations

Howdy all, Well I guess I will start this off,, Our Dept serves a 55 sq mi area the Population outside the City is about 5,000 in our response area, we have considerd splitting our Equipment and adding a Station in the County, However most of our members Live in Town, would it save Respose Time, I dont know, any Help would be appreciated.

------------------
    Here today for a Safer Tomorrow

stone35
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Our department covers about the same area, but we have broken our coverage down by adding sub-stations. Each sub holds a pumper, a brush truck, and a tanker. We are considered one station, but we have 8 subs. This really comes in handy, especially when you need help fast.

Good luck!

------------------
    Stone35

jpm
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

THE BOYS OUT AT STATION TWO GET A LITTLE UPSET WHEN ITS REFERED TO AS A SUB STATION.BUT SURE GO FOR IT.I GET THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS LIVING RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE TWO OF THEM .ITS NICE TO GET OUT OF THE LIME LIGHT AT THE MAIN STATION A.K.A. STATION ONE.

STAY LOW STAY SAFE

Fire Mechanic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our department is on an island 12 miles long by 6 miles wide. We serve 2000 people in the winter months, and eight to ten thousand in the summer time. We have a H.Q. station and 3 "outer" stations. Those three are all two bay buildings, each one has a pumper. two have brush rigs and one has a tender. The H.Q. building has a pumper, two aid cars and a brush rig. This covers the island pretty well, and the members respond to the station nearest them. I think spreading the stations out has worked very well for us.

iwood51
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Definitely go with the substation. My department covers 29 square miles and approx 12000 residents, we have a headquarters and two substations. It definitely helps with the response time of the first due engine.

FFLEEMS
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'm sure you have already looked at this, but just in case. Where are the majority of your calls and how close is your neighboring department. This should help you place the second station. Bonus points for ISO also.

------------------

firefly37
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

My fire department doesn't have a sub station but, from talking to other volleys who do they gain more volunteers from the outer areas because there is then a closer station. Just a thought.

firefly37

DED1645
    Firehouse.com Guest

With respect to opening another station is an excellent idea. Some people don't prefer sub-station, so a brother station. It would also help response time for you could cover distance quicker in a private vehicle and grab the apparatus closer to the incident. I would definately go for it.

------------------
    David DeCant
    firefighter/NREMT-B
    Originally Mantua,NJ
    Presently Lindenwold,NJ

S-22
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

My dept. covers 100sq miles out of 2 stations it works very well for us. My dept alternates meetings between the 2 stations. One is not considered better than the other. On the other side of the fence, I was briefly on a vol dept. in another part of the state, the two stations were like 2 different depts. they held seperate meetings, trainin, and every thing. They did not work well togeter at all.

Stone 35, 8 stations 8 pumpers 8 brush units 8 tankers for 55 sq miles? How big a population do you protect, how many volenteers, how many calls, and how does your dept. afford that much equipment? Not criticizing or second guessing just curious?

[This message has been edited by S-22 (edited November 07, 1999).]

Animal
    Firehouse.com Guest

S-22, we're a 6-station all-volunteer dept. Each company is pretty much independent, holding it's own meetings, training, etc. On the fireground, however, personnel from every company work very well together. But as I said, we run 6 stations, with 8 pumpers, 6 tankers, 1 aerial, 5 brush units, 8 ambulances, 1 first responder unit, 5 crash trucks, and 1 attack pumper. We serve approx. 17,500 people, and receive most of our funds from private donations. We have approx. 250 volunteers through the 6 companies, and have only 1 paid employee, which is the fire director who oversees operations.

Thread Information