Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    F02
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Why do we volunteer?

What inspired you to join? What keeps us doing it?

S-22
    Firehouse.com Guest

Several reasons for me. Of course at the top would be civic duty. I was raised to believe everyone should give back to the coummunity. Next, is family tradition. My uncle is the fire chief, and he has on the roster, 1 brother, 2 sons, 4 nephews (including my brother), and one brother in law. My father was a member, and another uncle was a member until he resigned for medical reasons. When my dad, was on a call I would ride my bicycle down to the fire station and wait for them to get back. So it was only natural I would join as soon as I could. I joined as a junior FF at 16. By the time I was 18, I had completed medical first responder, and Fire Fighter I.

The thing that really got my attention though, was when my own family lost our home to fire. My father woke everyone up and called the fire dept. As I followed my brothers and sisters out into the frigid cold night with no shoes. I could here the Siren on top of the fire station begin to wail calling our friends and neighbors to our aid.

That in the end is what it is all about. Not the glory, or the adrenaline, but helping people when they need it the most.

3 out of 4 Fire Fighters in this country are Volunteers!

S-22

FyredUp
    Firehouse.com Guest

Honestly? Civic duty is part, helping my neighbors is part.....but the rush of battling the dragon or getting someone out of a car wreck is a strong lure to the service for me. And NO I am not one of those guys with 78 lights on my car and never goes anywhere with out my FD shirt or portable radio. I am very professional in my behavior, but I am honest about the rush of doing a good job at a call.

My Dad was a volly and I spent quite a bit of time at the station when I was younger, I even thought at one time every guy grew up to be a FF, all my friends dads were. So I guess I came into it through family tradition and stayed cause I liked it. I am still a volly and a career firefighter too.

S-22
    Firehouse.com Guest

Oh yes I defiantly like the adrenaline too!

FF/EMT 19
    Firehouse.com Guest

Civic duty number one. If not us who? It truly amazes me what our guys go through everyday. The demands put on them everyday and watch them come through time and time again is undescibable. Since joining up I have met many firefighters and each and everyone are dedicated to what they do. I have not met a better bunch people anywhere.

mesha
    Firehouse.com Guest

What makes an individual join the armed forces, or the police forces. To put ones life on the line for his or her fellow human beings is one of the noblest sacrifices that one can make. So why should the Fire Service be any different. If you look at those people around you who have volunteered for the fire service and you look at yourself in the mirror, then realize that you and they are special and unique. Civic duty may be the reason people use, but the real reason is that you care about life.
    Tim bennett, Walden Fire Department, Ontario, Canada

Phil4601
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Why did I volunteer? To see what it was like. To see if what I saw on television is true. I grew up in the era or Johnny Gage and Roy DeSoto, and like many people my age I was influenced by the experiences that were shown on the tube. My best friend and I joined our volunteer fire company when we were 16 years old. Ane I must admit, at that age with no other worries, the epinephrine rush every time the alarm sounded was one of the reasons that kept me coming back. But also the experience of the "old timers" telling stories, learning the do's and do not's, learning the equipment and building new friendships that have now lasted for years. Going to the fire hall was a positive place to be. Even if we were there shooting the bull, we were not out getting into trouble. As the years passed and I went to college, got married and started a family the reasons of epinephrine rush began to change to the attitude of giving back to the community where I grew up and planned to raise my family. It would be impossible for me to turn my head and look away when another person needed help. No matter if that person were my next door neighbor or someone that I have never met. I have literally taken care of both. Through inspiration of the volunteer fire service, I trained to become an EMT and then a Paramedic finally going to college to become a Registered Nurse working in Emergency Medicine. Being a proud member of a volunteer fire company is a two way street. I have gotten back just as much, if not more than I have put in and continue to do so. That's why I keep coming back for more. It works for me.

------------------
    Phil
    Stay Alert & Stay Safe

Romania
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

Why? I don't know, I have been asking myself that very question every night while I am working on the computer for my vollie gig. THese forums are my break from the real work.

------------------
    Alan Romania, CEP
    romania@uswest.net
    IAFF Local 3449

My Opinions do not reflect the opnions of the IAFF or Local 3449.

F02
    Firehouse.com Guest

Don't give up Romania.Sounds like if you left it would leave a BIG gap in your vol. dept.Paid firefighters can be a big asset to a volunteer dept.

Bob Snyder
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I started for the adrenaline, went through a short phase of feeling noble, and now it's just something that I do without thinking about why. I know I'd miss it terribly if I wasn't doing it, but I don't know why that is, either. I guess I'm just addicted...

A few of us were having a discussion like this in our Social Quarters last week...one of our bartenders couldn't understand why we did what we did on "the other side of the street" (that being the Engine House...the buildings are separate). We kind of came to the conclusion that the volunteer fire company becomes a way of life, a sort of sub-community unto itself. You start out as an outsider on the fringe when you first join, and you stay in the short run if you gain acceptance. In the long run, after you've really become part of the "community", you can't imagine leaving voluntarily. By that time, it doesn't really matter why you started, and you probably can't really explain why you stay (and most people on the outside wouldn't "get it" anyway).

[This message has been edited by Bob Snyder (edited December 17, 1999).]

Romania
    Firehouse.com Guest

As bad as my last post may have sounded, I was a little frustrated at the time. Actually I continue to volunteer because of the amount of time, money, and work I ahve invested in the Volunteer Rescue Squad I now lead. I started in volunteering to get some experience and training. I did get both, but I also got soemthing else...friends for life.

------------------
    Alan Romania, CEP
    romania@uswest.net
    IAFF Local 3449

My Opinions do not reflect the opnions of the IAFF or Local 3449.

Tiger
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

Want an interesting take on why firefighters volunteer?

Check out "Deep Play" in the September 1999 Edition of Fire Engineering.

It cuts through to the heart of the matter.

------------------
    Tiger Schmittendorf
    tiger@onscenemarketing.com
    OnScene Marketing Services
    "Mutual Aid for Marketing Your Fire Department"
    www.onscenemarketing.com

jrj918
    Firehouse.com Guest

i started as a volunteer in "94" to play a part in my community.The WEST SIDE NUT CLUB which helps raise funds for west side improvements in evansville(they also contribute to the rest of evansville but mainly the west side)was not taking any new members.I heard that perry twp was needing members so i joined and boy did i love it!!!
    now i am no longer a vollie I get paid for what i love doing.If it wasnt for being a volunteer i never would have found that out.It is my opinion that volunteers are needed and do just as good as paids

DED1645
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Why? The biggest reason is when I was a kid and seeing the big trucks making all the noise and w/ the lights on, even then gave me a rush. Thinking of being older and being on that truck was a thought that didn't seem would come. Then talking to the guys in the department I saw a really big contribution to the community you lived in. The help the family and friends that you cared about most when they needed you. I can't say anything about tradition for I was the first in my entire family to join the service.

------------------
    David DeCant
    firefighter/NREMT-B
    Originally Mantua,NJ
    Presently Lindenwold,NJ(I'm not a member of any of this District's dept's.)

Kelly Tool
    Firehouse.com Guest

All very good reasons, I joined because like others because of my dad and growing up around it. I saw that I WAS needed, to help the community and the organization. If we all stand around and do nothing who's gonna fight the fire? And of course you gotta love that adreniline rush!

------------------
    Put the wet stuff on the red stuff!

Aff
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

If I didn't, who would? Besides, it's just plain fun! Also, after 6 years in the Navy, the structure and comraderie is familiar. Most important, civic duty and responsibility is and was always highly respected and expected in my family.

Stay safe...have fun...

Mark

STATIONTWO
    Firehouse.com Guest

good question

[This message has been edited by STATIONTWO (edited November 20, 1999).]

craig7404
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Well 22 years ago I joined because it was in my families blood.My oldest brother was at the time a assistant chief in the Dallas fire dept. and my father had just helped to form a rural fire dept. in northeast Texas and the middle brother had just completed the fire acad. in Dallas. At the time I was a 16 year old kid who was going to save the world from fire. Well 22 years later I'm still trying to save the world from fire but I do it as a volunteer for the same dept. that my dad helped to start(I have been there from the first meeting in the spring of 1977 but not an offical member until august that year as first a junior ff, then a firefighter, then a captain, and i still enjoy it as much today. Helping out friends and neighbors in their time of need is the reason I do it today.

Chief2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hmmm...good question.

I joined 5 years ago when my daughter fell backward off of a 15 foor high ladder on a slide. I was in motion before she hit the ground, and I arrived what seemed like an hour later.

Problem was, when I got there, I had no idea how to help her, except to call 911.

The volunteers showed up, we talked, the rest is history.

I only realized what I HAD to do after something like this.

P.S. My daughter had NO injuries (other than a sore back), but my thoughts always turn to "next time".

MFD25469
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Why I volunteer is a complicated question. I did it at first because I wanted to do something more with my life than sit at my computer playing on the internet all the time. I stayed in because I loved the feeling of helping people and of being somebody. Don't get me wrong...the adrenalin rush is too strong not to mention and I love every minute of it. But thats not my sole reason for doing what I do. I know I am still wet behind the ears...but I do hope to stay in for quite some time. I enjoy my duties and look forward to many wonderful years in the department. Right now I am just concentrating on dismissing the status of Probie! Such is life...

Thread Information