Cap'n L
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question After the midnight call

After returning home and getting back in bed after the late night run I have a terrible time going back to sleep. And like most of you I have to get up a go to my "full time" factory job at 5am. My question is have you found a way to unwind after a call so that a 30 min. call doesn't cause 1-2hrs of lost sleep?

craig7404
    Firehouse.com Guest

Well I've been doing it for twenty two years now and I have not found away to unwind yet but one thing that does help is our fire dept. always has a talk session after every run to help get things off our minds. We discuss what went right and wrong and just let the stress out before we go home. Can't promise it will help but it does for us. Good luck and be Safe.

dc45b
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I have been doing this for 30 years and this is a hard item to tackle. I have found that I must tell myself to relax. No more thoughts of the call and not think of anything but just think of sleeping. It is hard to do. You might consider going to a counselor about the problem. They might suggest a relaxation tape to help you. Good luck

------------------

agff
    Firehouse.com Guest

I hope you won't think dc45b method too wild. I concentrate on one monotonous phrase and will wake up in the morning. I also try to wind down and relax on the drive home and mentally preparing for sleep. Most of the time it works. Good Luck

MTForestFires
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

Don't know if this will help, but I don't try to fight it. If I'm not dead tired when I get home, I'll shower, read, or turn on the tube for a little while. Usually I'll be tired within a half hour and can get at least a few hours sleep.

ChapCapt
    Firehouse.com Guest

I would have to agree with ForestFires, I like to hang around the firehouse and BS for a little while and then go home and turn on the TV and set the sleep timer for a 1/2 hour or so. Usually I will fall asleep soon after My mind gets done with the 50th replay of the alarm.

Romania
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

I wish I could help, I usually just crash out after our late calls. Sometime I require a scooby snack, but rarly have a problem crashing again. I think keep the bunk room (or your bed room) as cold as posible helps .

Alan

1stResponder
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have the same problem. I am taking a psychology class and we just studied sleep disorders. One thing the instructor said to try if you have trouble getting to sleep is to get up out of bed. He said if your not tired then don't lay in bed. Get up and read or something. I haven't had a late night run in a while so I haven't had to try it (I'll probably have one now that I said that). Whoever gets to try it first, let us know! Hopefully it'll work.

Break-N-Entry
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Yo! Break-N-Entry in da house givin a big shout out to all my brother and sista firefighters out there - whatz up? B-N-E had the same problem. Oh yeah, toss-n-turn after dat midnight burn. Then one night B-N-E was TV channel surfin and found what work for him. I'm not sayin it gonna work for you all but it work for the B-Man, and dats C-SPAN. Yeah C-SPAN do da trick. I gots it on now and Z Z Z Z Z Z Z Z Z Z ........ PEACE!

Cap'n L
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the replies so far,a lot of good ideas! I'll give them a try and see if they work for me. Thanks again for takeing the time to reply.

Fireman488
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

After 30 plus years of getting up in the middle of the night, I still don't really know of an easy way to fall back asleep following the run.

Depending on the hour, the following have worked for me: a light snack, reading in bed, going on-line and checking mail before returning to bed.

When all else fails, I just begin my day earlier than usual; most of the time with a 5 mile run outdoors in nice weather or on my treadmill in inclement weather.

Good luck and stay safe.

------------------

Steve Paylor
    Firehouse.com Guest

If I get back to the house after about 4 am, I'll just go to work early. Keeps my co-workers on their toes.

Otherwise I won't get to sleep until it's time to get up.

Thread Information