StanCap
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question What's in your pre-fire plans?

I am Captain of a medium-sized, rural, volunteer department. The newly-elected chief has given me the task of developing pre-fire plans for several buildings in our response area. I'm not sure what should be included. What type of information and details are included in your plans?
    Thanks for your help.
    Stay Safe!!

Aff
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lets see if I can get this all in shot with-out missing anything!

Title Sheet with; property name/description, address, best route, key box locations, bldg occupancy day/night.

Structural Features Sheet with; bldg age, bldg size- LxWxH, cu ft.,# of stories, foundation mat'l, exterior mat'l, floor mat'l, roof material/type, roof shape, attick access if applicable, fire wall locations, open shafts, emergancy lights y/n, emg power y/n, generator location, attick fire stops y/n.

Utilities Sheet with; boiler room locations, fuel type, central air y/n, electrical substations with capacity, utility providers with contact #'s.

Site Features Sheet; total floor area, ground floor area, primary use, below ground area, garage area, lot area, all set backs, occupancy load (day), occupancy load (night), location of 'area of rescue and assistance', number of occupied stories.

Hydrant Location Sheet; #, map location, verbal discription, size of main.

Fire Protection Sheet; alarm system/type, fire control system location and reset, zones, alarm company, standpipe locations, fire department connections, sprinkler shut-off locations, % sprinkler coverage, valves supervised y/n, system supervised y/n, zones.

MAPS:

Bldg lay-out on property showing parking lot entrances, hydrants w/ capacity, bldg entrances, employee staging areas, fire dept connections, vehicle hazards (ie low clearances, wires, ect.), relation to North.
    Complete floor plan for each level with exits noted, standpipe locations, fire doors, zones, special hazards, chemical and/or hazard storage loctions, loading docks.
    Sprinkler Zones, all floors.
    Fire Wall Locations, each floor.
    Floor Plans, all floors noting important info.
    Electrical Power Feed
    Chemical/Hazard storage location, type and quantity, location of MSDS info, and dock area if required.

A lot of stuff, hope it helps. E-mail if any ?
    Stay safe...
    Mark

[This message has been edited by Aff (edited December 07, 1999).]

craig7404
    Firehouse.com Guest

We do a little like Aff said. We do the maps section of Aff's letter of the local School campus and all business and the local churches in our area. In most cases, at least a little prefire planning is better then none at all. We have had 3 fires at the school in the last 15 years. No preplan on the first(ag shop), total loss, a little preplan on the second (gym/multi purpose building) damage to the dressing rooms and wash room, and on the third a prefire sight map (with the map set out as Aff does their map)in the main high school office area, damage to only one office room. Having a good, up to date prefire plan of attack has sure saved our community a good amount of tax dollars. Good luck and be safe
    Captain Craig Lambert

[This message has been edited by craig7404 (edited December 10, 1999).]

EPFD-AL
    Firehouse.com Guest

Good question. Great answers! After a couple of bad experiences with suspended ceiling collapses I would like to see everyone add ceiling type to their fire preplans.

JBFire
    Firehouse.com Guest

After Hours Contact Telephone Numbers (Key Holders), Owner Telephone.
    These people will usually help if there were changes since your last PFP also.

Captain88
    Firehouse.com Guest

That's one of my duties as a Captain also.
    Address
    Owner Name and number
    Alarm company name and number
    location of gas, electric, and water shut off
    length, width, and height of bldg.
    maximum water flow needed (L X W X H div X100
    location of nearest water supply
    special hazards
    accesibility for apparatus
    msds location
    Type of construction(including roof type)
    staging area
    exposures
    name and number of alternate keyholder

------------------
    Cappy

Forum Member

Make sure you add Fire Flow requirements and Fire Load after it is occupied.

Forum Member

.......Talk about bringing a thread back from the dead.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

That was what I was thinking..

Thread Information