Michael Johnston FFII EMT
    Firehouse.com Guest

NBC's yellow journalism is hardly surprising from a so-called news program that rigged crash tests in order to get the explosion and fire they wanted. (Remember the chevy pickup truck crash piece they did years ago?)
    While my heart goes out to the husband for his loss, prehaps he should educate himself a little more about fire behavior before rushing to judgement. I, as a Volunteer Firefighter, wonder where his community would have found fire protection if he would have won his lawsuit.
    Mike Johnston
    Asst. Eng.
    Clifty Six Fire/Rescue

Chief Lane
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

I was at the Tironi Fire in Waterford with a mutual aid department and the men of Wtaerford FD did all they could to save Kelly.

NBC left out a very important part of the story. I won't get into it but Mr. Statta has a secret he did not want told.

Everyone involved knows his back ground and NBC was also made aware of it. Apparently they didn't feel it was news worthy.

I hope most of you noticed they never did discuss the cause of the fire. Didn't anyone wonder why?

Tell me how many men out there would be the first one out of a burning building? Wouldn't a normal husband ensure his family got out first and then escape? Statta is nothing but a coward looking to blame someone else for his lack of morals.

NBC has tried to put a blemish not only on the volunteer service but on all fire fighters. And there choice to run the story while an entire country grieves the loss of our 6 brothers is unexcusible.

I did see NBC camera's at the Memorial service in Worcester while I was there and would have loved to confront their reporters, however, it was neither the time nor the place...God bless all the family, friends, and fellow firefighters of our brothers who made the ultimate sacrifice.

Be safe guys

------------------
    Chief Daniel J. Lane Sr.
    Lisbon Fire Department
    Lisbon, Maine

[This message has been edited by Chief Lane (edited December 10, 1999).]

S.E. McClure
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

NBC should be ashamed. The showing of this report was designed by NBC to attract attention. I pity the people who made the decision to play off of a tragedy such as Worcester just to attract more viewers.

S.E. McClure
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

NBC should be ashamed. The showing of this report was designed by NBC to attract attention. I pity the people who made the decision to play off of a tragedy such as Worcester just to attract more viewers.

VA_Rick
    Firehouse.com Guest

Of course, this is the same show that, several years ago, admitted it rigged explosives to the gasoline tanks on a certain pickup truck so that it would explode when they crashed it, to buttress their story that the trucks were unsafe. Amazing they still have their jobs!

Mark Monger
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

At a time when Volunteer Depts. everywhere are understaffed and hurting for members, how could NBC strike such a blow to our recruitment and retention programs? This story is inappropriate, and inexcuesable even if the Worcester tragedy had not occurred!

Truck 2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Nine years of Monday morning QUARTER BACKING, you had to be there on the first in piece, that is when the real judgement calls had to be made !
    I hope and pray that no Monday morning judgements are made by our Brothers involving the Worcester Incident, it's the same story you had to be there and see what they saw and what facts they had in hand, and you can't second guess their judgement calls now!
    Lt.Charles M. Huber
    IAFF Local # 319

------------------

Firegal41
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

Wow..i didn't even know all that was going on. I haven't been able to plop down in front of the tube for a little while. Ya know, i really HATE it when we get criticized by people. Man, they dont even know. We risk our lives to save others and we get crapped on. We're not miracle workers for chrissakes. Blaming the FD for someone dying in a fire is wrong. Only God can decide when someone dies. The people that are so quick to criticize are the ones that have never been there. It's quite sad really.

------------------
    ~*Firefighting...Invented by men, perfected by women*~

Cyra6182
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

I didn't know that NBC did a story on the Volunteer Fire Department until a friend told me at work today. I went to search for it on their website and imagine that!!! It's not available! From what I gather here in the forum, NBC was tactless, tasteless, and all together greedy for ratings at a time when we need compassion and understanding, not just the volunteer service, but the fire/rescue service as a whole.
    To air this at a time when the Nation and the world is in mourning for men who gave their lives selflessly is reprehensible, and I for one will be writing a letter to NBC to express my opinion and I ask that anyone else who feels this way, to do the same. NBC should air an apology for this.

------------------
    Patricia Langley

Henny
    Firehouse.com Guest

Just have one thing to say about the whole thing. Let NBC put on the turn out gear and do our job. And as for the man that sued the fire department, let him give it a try too!!
    Stay safe

Polarbear
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

Although I missed the segment, I too from reading the replies am angered at the timing in which it was done. Cudo's to Houseman 929 on what the firefighter had to/ would had to have done in order to save the woman. Being from NY, we here were aware of the case when it first came to light. We had a few newspaper clippings in the station posted to make everyone here aware of the facts that anyone will sue anyone for anything. We are glad of the outcome (the decision in favor of the FD) It is hard enough doing what we do without having to deal with something like this. At the time the victims husband thought he was doing the "right thing" by suing the dapertment, but what was poted earlier by someone, it was just the "guilt" so to speak of not being able to do something further himself .

Stay Safe during the holidays

------------------

Polarbear
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

Although I missed the segment, I too from reading the replies am angered at the timing in which it was done. Cudo's to Houseman 929 on what the firefighter had to/ would had to have done in order to save the woman. Being from NY, we here were aware of the case when it first came to light. We had a few newspaper clippings in the station posted to make everyone here aware of the facts that anyone will sue anyone for anything. We are glad of the outcome (the decision in favor of the FD) It is hard enough doing what we do without having to deal with something like this. At the time the victims husband thought he was doing the "right thing" by suing the dapertment, but what was poted earlier by someone, it was just the "guilt" so to speak of not being able to do something further himself .

------------------

Polarbear
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

------------------

Polarbear
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

------------------

Polarbear
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

------------------

Polarbear
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

------------------

Polarbear
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

------------------

Polarbear
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

------------------

Polarbear
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

------------------

Polarbear
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

------------------

Polarbear
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

------------------

Polarbear
    Firehouse.com Guest

sorry...didnt know what happened..but somehow posted the message a few times...stay safe

Thread Information