Jay D. Scott
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Small Vol. Depts. - Do you have an equipment truck?

At the Holmes Twp. V.F.D. near Bucyrus, Ohio we have an equipment truck - on old step van customized by department members. We're planning to replace it in early Y2K. Tell me what kind of truck you have - step van? Box truck? Roll-up doors? Equipped with AC and heat?

------------------

craig7404
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have a older type 2 ambulance van that we use as equipment/rescue truck. We carry all extracation tools and forceible entry tools on our mini attack pumper. We also carry medical equipment and supplies on both trucks.Being a older firefighter I like having a pump and water with me on every run just in case. But the van does have more storage area so on most runs both rescue 2 and truck 5 roll.
    Be safe
    Caption Craig Lambert

Skidz
    Firehouse.com Guest

HELLO,

WELL WE HAVE A STEP VAN AS WELL BUT, IT SOON TO BEREPLACED BY A RESCUE PUMPER. I KNOW THAT IS NOT THE ANSWER FOR EVERYONE'S PROBLEMS BUT, IF YOUR PEOPLE LIKE THE STEP VAN I WOULD STAY WITH IT. OUR STEP VAN IS A WALK THROUGH IT CARRIES SIX PEOPLE AND IT HOLDS THE FOLLOWING ITEMS (GENERAL) TWO GENERATORS -ONE LIGHTS -ONE FOR POWERING THE STEP VAN ON LARGE INCIDENTS A/C, HEATING, BATTERY CHARGERS, BASE RADIOS, ETC. A PPV, MULTIPLE HAND TOOLS, SPARE SCBA BOTTLES, ALL SALVAGE EQUIPMENT, EMS EQUIPMENT, 4 BOTTLE CASCADE, LIGHTS, CORDS REELS, AND OUR CUTTERS AND SPREADERS, ITS A GREAT PIECE BUT A LITTLE OVERWIEGHT. THATS WHY ITS GETTING REPLACED. THERE ARE ALL HUNDREDS OF OPTIONS YOU JUST NEED TO TAKE YOUR TIME AND THINK EVERY LITTLE DETAIL OUT SO WHEN IT TIME YOU HAVE THE SQUAD THAT IS USER FRIENDLY AND YOU WILL HAVE FOR TEH NEXT TEN YEARS. IF YOU BUDGET RIGHT YOU SHOULD GET A NEW PIECE EVERY TEN YEARS.

SKIDZZZ

west30capt
    Firehouse.com Guest

You say equipment truck. If, I understand what you mean by that. We have something along that lines. We purchased it due to the amount of equipment needed and for a personnel carrier. At the same time we needed a vehicle to work well at brush fires. And to top it off because of increasing number of vehicle assidents we needed something to work as a rescue. As one magazine(I don't remember which one), refers to them as "Little big Guys" We ended up buying a Chevy 4x4 Dually with a 4-door cab. Had a box but on the back, added a pump and a tank. And all of our problems were solved. Our "Utiliy is needed more then our engine is now." We get many special calls to forest fires because of the 4 wheel drive and pump and roll capabilities. And it works really well for vehicle accidents. If you want there are pictures on our website of it. Put aside that it is now 6 yrs old.

------------------
    Check Out Westwood Fire Dept.!

[This message has been edited by west30capt (edited December 22, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by west30capt (edited December 22, 1999).]

MVFD108
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our truck(SQUAD 6) is a 1997 saulsbury on a 4700 series international cab,this truck runs with the engines and its main purpose is lights and air, it has a 6000psi cascade system,light tower numerous hand tools 30 spare air bottles,(cascade system can fill 60)4 air packs,electric reels, one on each side,and our newest tool...a thermal imaging camara, we are a volunteer dept. 30 members the truck usually goes out withone man on board thats why we chose the 2 man cab so far so good , international and saulsbury 2 good combonations

Romania
    Firehouse.com Guest

The vol. department that I used to work for had a small international 'line' truck that was donated by SRP (Salt River Project). IT is a medium sized utility truck that carries our extrication equipment, cascade, generator, light tower, saws, hand tools, rehab equipment, mechanic tools and suplies, etc. It also has a small pump and tank so that it can run on MVAs and 'side of the road' fires. It works great, but we were running out of room.

------------------
    Alan Romania, CEP
    romania@uswest.net
    IAFF Local 3449

My Opinions do not reflect the opnions of the IAFF or Local 3449.

Thread Information