Thread: NBC "Whoreline"

Fireshark1
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry NBC "Whoreline"

This is the thanks we get for giving of ourselves as much as we do? Whether paid or volunteer, it makes no difference, all of us give the ultimate sacrifice everyday to provide our communities with the best specialized help we can possibly give. We ask nothing in return but how about just a little respect NBC? Everytime that fire whistle goes off near one of your homes you'd better thank god we get up and do this 24/7, it might be one of your lives or family members we're saving.
    Not only do you owe every firefighter and ambulance service an apology, you owe America an apology. You owe 6 families more than you can ever give them.

*These views are mine and do not reflect any of the opinions or views of my company.

[This message has been edited by Fireshark1 (edited December 11, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Fireshark1 (edited December 11, 1999).]

Firegal41
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

Okay, maybe i've had my head up my butt for the past week or something...so if you don't mind me asking, what's all that in response to?

------------------
    ~*Firefighting...Invented by men, perfected by women*~

BVFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Firegal, I think they are refering to the recent episode of "Dateline" concerning the vollie dept. that was being sued for "not doing all that they could" to rescue a mans wife from a fire. While I understand his frustration, I think the title is a little harsh. Relax friend! You can't please everyone all of the time. Do all that you can to show your constituents what your dept really does. As far as contacting NBC, use a little more tact than you did in titling this post. I do encourage you to write to them and express you frustration, but use a calm, and "matter of fact" style. They are more likely to listen to you, and possibly re-think future episodes.

------------------
    Learn all the jobs, at some point you'll have to do them

Jay D. Scott
    Firehouse.com Guest

I saw the Dateline episode about the volunteer department sued by a widower. I only was watching that show because it was going to have a story about firefighting. As a former reporter, I am disgusted by these "tabloid TV shows." If the so-called "news" they broadcast is so important, why does it not lead the evening newscasts or headline the daily paper? These shows are designed to titilate, inflame and instigate. They are entertainment, not newscasts. The angle of this story was virtually non-existent. It simply made people think about who was right or wrong and compared two people's judgments - the firefighter's and the widowers. The broadcast did not inform, solve a problem or educate.

If a I, as a volunteer firefighter, learned anything from this broadcast it was this; I will continue to be the best firefighter I can based on my training and experience, which is all any of us can do.

------------------

Brian Pratt
    Firehouse.com Guest

I e-mailed a comment directly to Dateline on this very subject and suggest everyone else does also.

Shannon
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hey Y'all,

I'm not a firefighter myself, but provide the AFFF's to the departments... I hope you don't mind me replying to this, but I have to say that fire departments do the best job they can, and for this person to sue is absolutely ludicrous. I talk to guys (and gals) like you day in and day out at my job and I have the utmost respect for what you do!! What *I* get frustrated at is the lack of support y'all get from your city administrations! I don't blame the originator of this thread for being upset because you do what you can, with the resources that you are provided with.

Anyway, thanks for reading! Y'all keep up the wonderful jobs that you are doing!

------------------
    Shannon Mari ;-)

Captain88
    Firehouse.com Guest

Dateline can critize all they wish, but we all know who goes and does the job, and I don't know about the rest of you but I have never once seen Dateline out there attempting to rescue someone or try to stop their house from burning. Take it as a grain of salt. When they get in the engine and put the pack on and come up to a fully involved house with someone in there and decide they're not risking their life for a lost cause, then they will know what it's like and they can critize all they want.

------------------
    Cappy

Sullivan
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

I'm glad I was not the only volunteer who had a MAJOR problem with Dateline NBC. I wrote an email to them, took me about 2 hours. They said they would review the over 1000 phone calls, and emails. Which I replied telling them where to put the review.
    I felt horrible, they have no idea what it is like being a volunteer in the 90's. Maybe in the 70's you could get anyone to join, and have an uncountable anmount of memebers. But, now, your lucky to get two people per engine, and that depends on what day it is, what time. We go into burning shells,of the oldest houses. The same that paid firefighters do, except, we don't get paid. we do it, because some has to, people depend on us. The only people that ever get a little angry are those whose walls we cut open for chimney fire, they would never sue us.
    It brings tears to my eyes to think that someone could shout neglect, and sue, just for publicity. The NBC vulchers come in and tear into the volunteer race. Its terrible, and fully uncalled for, NBC brought themselves so low. I could go on for hours, but, I have work to do. I must add this final note!

This does not reflect upon my Fire Dept.
    This is my opinion.

HYTHE FIRE DEPARTMENT
    Firehouse.com Guest

I did not see the episode that you are all talking about, so I can not comment on this specific incident. What I can comment on is the changing face of firefighting in the U.S. and Canada. It used to be in years past that what we did as a volunteer was unquestioned. But unfortunately, the profitable industry of suing others for neglagence has finally creeped into the fire service.

Time and time again in the U.S. you hear about rediculous law suits. But the fact is that it is to easy to sue someone in the U.S. All you pretty much have to do in many cases is claim that you have been wronged by negligence until the other side proves otherwise. If you are the one suing, you walk away scott free if you loose. In Canada, people are less likely to sue because in most cases, if you loose, you must pay the other parties legal fees.

In Canada, it is not uncommon for insurance companies to go over every peice of information on a fire to look for negligence by the fire department to mitigate the loss. It is the same in the U.S. as well. However, it is uncommon for the insurance companies in Canada to go after volunteer departments.

I think we have to face the fact that lawsuits against volunteer fire departments are going to become more common. The best thing to do prepare as best you can, and document what you have done in regards to preparation. Also, develope a plan on documenting the fire scene either by way of taking a picture as you roll up, or have a photographer on call. Many potential lawsuits can be ended by producing one picture that shows exactly what stage a structure fire is at.

A picture may not have stopped this particular lawsuit, but at least the Chief would have something to shove down the lawyers throat.

Thread Information