Thread: Age limits

Nozlnut133
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Age limits

I am currently looking for any writen standards on upper age limits for volunteers.
    The main area I am interested is driving guide lines .

[This message has been edited by Nozlnut133 (edited December 16, 1999).]

Pamela Baber
    Firehouse.com Guest

You might start with your insurance company. Some have either an 18 or 21 minimum age limit.

Hammerhead338
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Are you looking for the oldest a person can be to drive. My old dept had a person who was in the 60-70's, all he would do is drive, and he was happy with that.

Have a good day and be safe.

Joe
    Local 3905

chazzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

i would check with your insurance company. our com. states that one must be at least 18 years of age in order to be covered for driving. we also have jr. FF's inthe dept., they arent covered for driving but they are covered for insurance.

Mal Miller
    Firehouse.com Guest

The issue is two fold, one is legal and the other is health. In Washington State, one must be 18 to be covered by the State Vol Insurance and can not be over 70. We have two firefighters over 60 and they fight fire and one has a heavy truck license and drives pumpers and tenders. The real issue on age is physical and mental condition. 40 year olds have heart attacks as we as those of us who are older. Some 65 year old loggers in this area are a lot healtier and tougher than many 30 year olds. I would look to your state laws, your insurance company, your medical advisor, and common sense to come up with a policy.

craig7404
    Firehouse.com Guest

Check with your state firefighters assoc. and your Ins. provider. Our Ins. says 75 on emergency runs and nothing about non emergency runs.

------------------
    Good Luck And Be Safe
    Captain
    Craig Lambert

Sullivan
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Our oldest member is 86, and our youngest member is 2(dalmation), youngest human member is 14. (14-16) junior member, (16-18) probationary,18-100 seinor.

Thread Information