Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Adrenalin

MFD25469
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Adrenalin

Is it wrong to like the adrenalin rush I get when I go to a call be it fire or rescue, the feeling of being somebody, or pride in what I do? Many people say these are not good things but I don't know who to believe. I don't want to be in the department for the wrong reasons. I mean, I like helping people...a lot...but the rush, the feelings are still there. I am still a probie and haven't been in any longer than 2 months. What is right?

FD111
    Firehouse.com Guest

I don't think that it's wrong for you to have the adrenalin rush. Everyone still has an adrenalin rush to an extent. The biggest piece of advise I can give you is, you have to learn how to control it. Just give it some time and you will learn how to control you the rush.

BURNSEMS
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Hang in There your still new to all This and Enjoy it HOWEVER,, Know when to turn it Down and pay attention to small details around you, dont get so excited you forget the golden Rule, Protect yourself First, if someone else reacts to protect you from yourself then we have two injured folks, Dont Let it get in your way of Knowledge, you have alot to Learn and Remember take your time and absorb it and when you need it it will return two fold,, be carefull not to let your enthusiasm interfere with daily operations, those who tell you that it is bad have forgot where they come from and what it is Like to be new and have all the new responsibility, as you age in this proffesion you will find you dont get the same feelings but your proud of a Knock down Stop on a Large Fire, You enjoy watching your team work to cut injured from a Twisted Car,and many other situations where you may have to stand on the sidelines while other do the work but thats part of growing up in our proffession, if you think its great now it does get better,, Enjoy the ride it may see like a long journey from Rookie to Veteran Firefighter or Officer but it is a great Trip.

------------------
    Here today for a Safer Tomorrow

1stResponder
    Firehouse.com Guest

The adrenalin rush is almost unavoidable for me. But, I've been a volunteer for two 1/2 years and have learned to control it. My foot used to shake like jello in an earthquake when I started out responding to runs. Driving down the road my whole leg would be shaking up and down. Thankfully, I don't do that anymore. I talk to other guys on my dept. that have been around for a while and they say they still get excited on runs. You just have to teach yourself to stay alert, calm, aware, and professional. Then when your done you can either fall apart or talk about how exciting it was.

I don't think any firefighter likes to see someone hurt or someone's home destroyed. I think a lot of us, probably all of us, would gladly take their pain upon ourselves if we could.

One firefighter summed up my feelings when he said, "We hate to see someone's house burn, but we kinda enjoy putting it out."

Dalmation90
    Firehouse.com Guest

Adrenaline is a natural reaction to danger.

Normally, it's used to RUN, RUN VERY FAST AND FAR AWAY...and something about us firefighters make us want to do the running in the wrong direction

You have to learn to control it, and that's what training and doing certain things in certain order all the time helps (kinda makes the chaotic seem to be ordinary, and helps calm you down a little)

And there is nothing wrong in feeling good from it. It's not so much an adrenaline rush from knowing something bad is happening, as a rush that you are going to try and help make it better.

btw...I still get the "rush" after 13 years -- about 2 minutes after tones blow for a structure fire or serious sounding accident, my teeth will start chattering like crazy.

It used to hit when I was about half way to the station in my POV...so I'd concentrate on driving safely, while running down in my mind the dispatch report, time of day, type of buildings out there, etc -- kinda a mental size up.

Now, I live *a lot* closer to the station (went from never, ever making trucks at night to being on the first 5 people every time!)I can focus on the making sure my gear's put on right, get in truck, pull out the airpack straps, sit back, turn on and put portable radio in inside coat pocket (Think, "When are they gonna get me that radio pocket!!!!"), button up coat, hang mic on outside of coat, don air pack, adjust face mask, take off face mask, make sure face mask is OFF, turn on airpack. And I am still amazed I can do all those steps and be fully bunked up within a half mile of the station! Then, I go and start the old mental size up I used to do in my POV.

S-22
    Firehouse.com Guest

There is nothing wrong with enjoying the adrenaline rush. As others have said when you learn to control it, you can use it to help stay alive. It can also get you killed if you canít stay in control. So if the rush is the only reason youíre a FF I recommend sky diving itís safer! If you have other motivations stick with it!

------------------
    S-22
    3 out of 4 FF's are Volunteers!

chf jstano
    Firehouse.com Guest

The adrenaline rush is just the normal "fight or flight" reaction of the human body. It is preparing itself for a potentially stessful situation.Endorphines are released,pulse increases,cardiac output goes up.The trick is to control it, not let it control you.Make your preparations,think about what your duties are on arrival and take a few deep breaths.Don't let anybody kid you, the the toughest vets to the first run probies all get it. Some of us just hide that shake in the leg better than others.Keep your purpose in mind, you are there to help others, and focus on the job at hand.

------------------

craig7404
    Firehouse.com Guest

For me after 22 years, the rush is not as strong as it was years ago, because I realize that when we get paged out that means somebody is in trouble and needs our help. Like the others have said you must control the rush and keep your head straight because the dangers are everywhere on a call. Part of every dept. training should be to teach the new members to control the rush and not to let it burn you out.

------------------
    Good Luck
    Captain
    Craig Lambert

Medic019
    Firehouse.com Guest

I think everyone here that answerred and hit in on the head !!

Just remember don't the let adrenaline rush rule your actions - That is what the thing on top of your shoulders is there for - THINK before you act.

------------------
    Firefighter/Paramedic in Northwest Pennsylvain... Stay Safe

Truck 2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Just as Medic said use your head and don't let the rush control you! You need to control the rush. Sorry to say some firefighters need the rush so bad they go out and begin setting fires so they can expierence the rush more often!!!!! This just happened in Kennet Square, Pa. It is a part of the fire service that no one likes to talk about.

Thread Information