Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    SNOWMAN
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question State Volunteer Firefighter Associations.....

How many of your Fire Departments hold membership in/and support your State Volunteer FF Association? Is your State Association active and is it a resource that you can turn to for help? Do you hold annual conventions and if so, what kind of attendance do you have? I'd like to know what you guys (and gals) think about your Association........

Truck 2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Snowman I'm a career FF. here in Lancaster, Pa.but started my fire service career as a volunteer as many payed guys have. We do have a state asso. here in Pa. but I don't know how active it is. Pa. has more volunteer fire companies and members than any other state. They do have a annual convention, this past year it was held in Greenburg, Pa. on Sept.24. Our County Asso. is pretty active and we print a monthly news letter ( The Pennsylvania Fireman )I don't know if you ever saw it or not. They have a website, I don't know if the state asso. does or not. The Lancaster County Firemans Asso. web address is LCFireAssoc@aol.com, check it out they could help you with info on the state asso., hope this has been some help to you. If I can help you with any questions please e-mail me.

Lt Charles M. Huber
    Local #319

SNOWMAN
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Charles, thanks for the reply! I haven't seen "The Pennsylvania Fireman" but it sounds interesting. I'll check out the county website and see if they have an e-version of the newsletter. Anyone else with info on State Volunteer Associations?

Jim M.
    Firehouse.com Guest

Arrow

Maine has the Maine State Federation of Firefighters. It is a fairly acitve group with annual conventions, quarterly Board meetings, etc. Every dept is the State may join, most here are volunteer. They attempt to keep the State Legislature up to date on how laws and rule changes affect the fire service. They also provide a minimal death benefit for members.

SNOWMAN
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Jim, your State Association sounds alot like the Montana State Volunteer Firefighter's Association. We do much the same....legislative activities, quarterly board meetings and annual convention. How is your Association funded? We charge an annual fee of $45 to Volunteer Departments. Something on the order of about a third of the Fire Departments belong to the State Association.

craig7404
    Firehouse.com Guest

Snowman here in Texas we have a good state firefighters assoc.They are active in congress for us and get grant money for depts. to use, and help with training and certification. You can check out our state sffma site at www.sffma.org/. We do have both state and regional conventions and meetings. Plus the state sight has links to most of the members web sights .

------------------
    Good Luck And Be Safe
    Captain
    Craig Lambert

pvfr fyrfyter
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

here in nebraska we have the Nebraska State Volunteer Firefighters Association (NSVFA). Departmental dues run about $50 a year(i think) and individual dues are 1or 2 bucks. NSVFA does lobbying, and sponsors a one weekend statewide school at a racetrack in Grand Island that attracts over 1800 a year with about 30 classes offered. the school is held usuallythe third weekend in May. Come check it out.

Truck30
    Firehouse.com Guest

The National Volunteer Fire Council or NVFC is based in Washington, DC, They have a website at www.nvfc.org It is the collection of State Associations at a National level. Don't know to much about them yet.

[This message has been edited by Truck30 (edited January 06, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Truck30 (edited January 06, 2000).]

chf jstano
    Firehouse.com Guest

In new york we are represented by FASNY.They are the major lobbying group for the voluteers at the state level. We have an annual convention which rotates to various locations around the state. They sponsor training seminars,introduce legislation to politicians that benefits the fire service. A very active organization.You can check thier website out; www.albany.net/~gofasny. If you would like to check out a copy of the monthly magazine e-mail me your snailmail address{ My email is;flathead@gisco.net} and I'll mail you a copy.STAY LOW-STAY SAFE!

SNOWMAN
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

pvfr fyrfyter - Your convention sounds like a good one! I would love to head to Nebraska sometime and scope it out. Thanks for the posts guys.......and keep 'em coming!

BChew
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

As mentioned already Pennsylvania has a State Association, but most of the firefighter in the state do not relize the work that is done by the State Association.

But also is PA we have the Pennsylvania Fire Services Instutie which is a conglomerant of all the different State Emergency Services associations, (EMS, Code Enforcement, Fire Police, Manufactures and Industry). This is where the true ability of the State Associations is seen.

The group is a strong lobbing organization, recently getting a State Wide Building Code passed, along with other legislation, most of which impact the volunteers (currently working on a State Income tax relief for volunteer firefighters and ems personnel).

So I would definityly encourage any volunteer to get active with there State Association, if you don't have one -- START ONE, it's woerth your time.

------------------
    Bruce Chew, FF/EMT-P
    chew143@juno.com
    http://www.TowerLadder14.web.com

Thread Information